So I recently did 2 long haul flights (~11 hours each), and before the first flight, I turned it off as usual, with around 30% battery, and when I arrived, the battery was dead, and wouldn't turn on.

After the 2nd flight, I turned off the radio first, then the device, and had the same result starting with a 50% battery.

Any ideas? I'm running 4.7.0.75.
    12-17-08 05:17 PM
    when you press down the power button, to me at least, it seems like its a stand by mode and not an off mode since, it only takes 10 ish seconds to turn back on, while a restart is 5 minutes ish.

so, take out the battery next time.
    12-17-08 05:26 PM
    How did you store the Storm for the flight? Any chance something could have pressed the red power button and started it up again?

BTW, is that an abnormal or emergency checklist item?
    12-17-08 05:50 PM
    Doesn't sound right. Just did a transatlantic flight to Paris, was about 8+ hours on the way back. I turned the radio off but kept the phone on the entire flight, even watched a movie and played a little Word Mole. It lasted me the entire time.
    12-17-08 06:10 PM
    How did you store the Storm for the flight? Any chance something could have pressed the red power button and started it up again?
    It was stored in the Storm belt clip case that I bought from VZW, which was in the seat-back pocket.
    12-17-08 06:18 PM
    Stands to reason that ur phone was either not off or come on during the flight. I fly A LOT and have flown four times since having my storm with no probe a t all. I do turn the radio off before turning the phone off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 06:29 PM
    Flying with the radio on, definitely runs down the battery fast. It's all those hand-offs from one tower to the next, combined with weak signals.

All I can think of is maybe your "Manage Connections" app is corrupted and not working. So you thought you had turned off the radio but it didn't go off. Try turning it off the way you normally do, then call your phone from another phone and see if it rings. If this is the problem, I don't know how to fix it other than a hard reset.
    12-17-08 06:42 PM
    There are several radios in the device that I turned off for my flight: Cellular, Bluetooth, and GPS.
    12-17-08 06:48 PM
    aviationwiz, I think I figured out what may have happened to your phone.

If I turn my Storm off and then put it back in the holster it will turn itself back on! Every time! But you don't know it cause the magnet is keeping the device screen off.

It seems the holster is so snug, and the hard power button is in the perfect place to be activated by the holster. I am guessing the holster will loosen up with time. But in the mean time, to keep my phone off I put it in the holster upside down.

Hope that helps.
    12-29-08 04:01 AM
    AcDriver, I was beginning to suspect this may be the case, but was hoping that using the holster the device comes with wouldn't allow that to happen, but it appears it does, oh well.

Thanks for the response, I'll have to try putting the phone in upside down from now on - I did notice some battery loss on my flights to/from Seattle today.
    12-30-08 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD