An interesting post in the Vodafone UK eForum..

QUOTE (Wayne_Vodafone @ Dec 18 2008, 11:40 AM)
    [...]

This question is quite a common one to be honest. The battery on the Storm is a special kind of battery that requires whats called 'Top Up Charging'.

[...]

Sure , we've got a NASA/MI6/DARPA special agent degree battery unique to the 9500/9530....

It's a normal Lithium Ion 3,7v battery pack [Li-Ion, based on the battery pack info on the backside of it], my almost two year old Nokia 6234 has a Lithium Polymer battery [Li-Poly], which is more advanced technology than the battery in the Storm.

QUOTE ("Wikipedia")
    Lithium-ion polymer batteries, polymer lithium ion, or more commonly lithium polymer batteries (abbreviated Li-poly, Li-Pol, LiPo, LIP, PLI or LiP) are rechargeable batteries which have technologically evolved from lithium-ion batteries.

Also these batteries lose 20% capacity/year from the date of manufacturing, because of their aging process. This is the same that happens to your laptop battery.

What's true is the following, which contains many of the recomendations found in these forums and that the mods have already posted in this thread:

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e. g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.[23]
    Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
    Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [39] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 �C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
    Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[23]

Just Charge the **** out of it whenever you can, have the phone plugged in whenever you can. It won't harm your battery and what's sure is that when you unplug it it will be 100% full and you will lower the probability to run out of battery when you most need it, hence, when you are on the road.

But I assure you we don't have any extreme high tech battery in our Storms.

AlwaysTB
    Last edited by nmonger; 12-27-08 at 10:37 AM.
    12-27-08 09:47 AM
    I'm glad the Storm's battery is like that. I often leave my phones plugged in for hours and hours when I'm at home, and I hated that it ruined my other batteries on previous phones. This suites me better
    12-27-08 09:49 AM
    My new charging cradle will look great in the refrigerator next to the Arm & Hammer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD