BlackBerry Storm Coming Nov. 21 For $199, iPhone Not Toast

Disguised as an "announcement" article. The writer doesn't do a very good job of hiding his love of the Apple iPhone.

He admits that he's never touched a Storm - "We'll reserve judgment until after we've had time to play with it."

But states the the iPhone is "better" - "the Storm is the same price as Apple's 8-gigabyte iPhone, while offering fewer features."
    11-13-08 09:57 AM
    BlackBerry Storm Coming Nov. 21 For $199, iPhone Not Toast

Disguised as an "announcement" article. The writer doesn't do a very good job of hiding his love of the Apple iPhone.

He admits that he's never touched a Storm - "We'll reserve judgment until after we've had time to play with it."

But states the the iPhone is "better" - "the Storm is the same price as Apple's 8-gigabyte iPhone, while offering fewer features."
    I guess removable battery, superior push email, 3.2 Camera w/ flash, removable/ expandable memory, cut and paste, mms, video recording, etc, etc, etc. are fewer features than the iPhone
    11-13-08 10:01 AM
    Geez, terrible article. You'd think they'd have someone who actually knows about techy stuff to write this. He's obviously never seen a feature comparison chart of the two. Typical CNN BS!!!! CNN you got your president now leave my Storm alone!!!
    11-13-08 10:04 AM
    There's a difference between "fewer features" and "more of the features that I'd prefer".

Personally, I think that anyone who buys a "wireless multimedia device" that doesn't support A2DP is an !di0t. But, that's just my opinion...and that's a feature that's important to ME.
    Last edited by Habious; 11-13-08 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Stupid website tried to censor me!!
    11-13-08 10:07 AM
    What is wrong with CNN these days? First, it's the DL Hughley show. Now this....what an i d i o t. Here's an idea: how about trying the phone first.
    11-13-08 10:10 AM
    I know im being biased but i just think att is pure crap so no matter what the iphone ever expands into i will never be getting one. So all these articles stating which one is better is useless in my eyes. the network is just as important as the phone
    11-13-08 10:12 AM
    I know im being biased but i just think att is pure crap so no matter what the iphone ever expands into i will never be getting one. So all these articles stating which one is better is useless in my eyes. the network is just as important as the phone
    Yup! What good is the phone if the network is crap!! I would only consider the iPhone if it had more Berry features (copy/paste, MMS, etc...) and it would definitely have to be on VZW's network. Don't see that happen' for a while. Plus, I really love Berrys!!
    11-13-08 10:15 AM
    I think it's probably more accurate to say "different features" than "fewer features."
    11-13-08 10:18 AM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I read the article and got rather annoyed at the sheer laziness of the journalist. Actually I decided that I'd send along a scathing email as feedback to the story. Thought some of you might enjoy the talking points:

In Dan Frommer's article on the Blackberry Storm he makes a number of mistakes in describing the device. It is rather alarming that a paid reporter was so careless as to fail to do basic research on the subject of his story. There is little question that Mr. Frommer didn't even go further than looking at a spec sheet for the device. There are countless reviews and commentaries on the device regarding its actual capabilities and Frommer failed to seek these out and as a result grossly mischaracterized the Blackberry Storm.

For starters, his statements that the Storm has fewer features than the iPhone for the same price is flat out wrong. Contrary to Frommer's assertion, the Storm does indeed have multitouch controls. In fact, there are basic features that the iPhone lacks that the Storm possesses, such as the ability to record video, send MMS messages, email searching, and most of all cut-and-paste functionality to name a few.

Moreover, despite Frommer's claim that the monthly service charge has not been announced, such pricing was announced a week ago for the world plan and otherwise would obviously remain the same as the current domestic blackberry data plan charges.

If you are employing an individual to report on technology, especially under the heading of an "Insider" you should make sure that he is diligently researching the subject matter of his articles. Truly this article smacks of laziness on Frommer's part and he should be ashamed to call himself a technology journalist.
    11-13-08 10:56 AM
    Oh, SNAP!!!
    11-13-08 10:58 AM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I read the article and got rather annoyed at the sheer laziness of the journalist. Actually I decided that I'd send along a scathing email as feedback to the story. Thought some of you might enjoy the talking points:

In Dan Frommer's article on the Blackberry Storm he makes a number of mistakes in describing the device. It is rather alarming that a paid reporter was so careless as to fail to do basic research on the subject of his story. There is little question that Mr. Frommer didn't even go further than looking at a spec sheet for the device. There are countless reviews and commentaries on the device regarding its actual capabilities and Frommer failed to seek these out and as a result grossly mischaracterized the Blackberry Storm.

For starters, his statements that the Storm has fewer features than the iPhone for the same price is flat out wrong. Contrary to Frommer's assertion, the Storm does indeed have multitouch controls. In fact, there are basic features that the iPhone lacks that the Storm possesses, such as the ability to record video, send MMS messages, email searching, and most of all cut-and-paste functionality to name a few.

Moreover, despite Frommer's claim that the monthly service charge has not been announced, such pricing was announced a week ago for the world plan and otherwise would obviously remain the same as the current domestic blackberry data plan charges.

If you are employing an individual to report on technology, especially under the heading of an "Insider" you should make sure that he is diligently researching the subject matter of his articles. Truly this article smacks of laziness on Frommer's part and he should be ashamed to call himself a technology journalist.
    Dan Frommer you big dummy!!
    11-13-08 11:04 AM
    Props!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-13-08 11:17 AM
    Maybe after that scathing email they'll offer me his job? Depending on if there were free gadgets as a perk I might take them up on it part time (assuming my current employer would let me do that on the side). I'll let everyone know if I get an email from Frommer himself complaining about how I called him out...
    11-13-08 11:19 AM

I love it!
    11-13-08 11:21 AM
    Way to go, that is an awesome response.
    11-13-08 11:35 AM
    People relax to some a rich multi media experience, tons of apps, free nav etc is considered more features.

Don't hate on the iPhone. Some people prefer berries and some prefers Apples its a matter of taste. Get a roomfull of bb buttt boys and apple fan boys and they will argue till the cows come home who's phone is better. Truth be known there both great phones (verdict is not out yet on Storm though)

So relax and enjoy your phone when you get it.

11-13-08 11:55 AM
    Don't hate on the iPhone.
    I think the bigger point to be made is the Apply Fanboy mentality. This reviewer all-but-said "I don't have to try it, I know I won't like it."

It WASN'T a review...it was article announcing the release date and pricing. But, even without having reviewed the device (he clearly states that he's never even touched a Storm) he's "hating" on it.

The people who frequent this website don't get their breaking news about new cell phones being introduced from CNN.com. But, there are a lot of non tech-savvy people that do.

And, when they go looking for a phone and someone asks "Have you considered the Storm?", they may respond with "Nah...I heard it wasn't that good...especially compared to Apple's iPhone." And that's it. It's out of consideration.

I'm not here saying it's the bestest phone ever made. I haven't played with one, or even seen one in person. I'm not a BB Fanboy...never owned a BB. However, I DON'T like the iPhone and I have played with a few enough times to have formed an intelligent opinion (mainly due the totally craptaculous AT&T network).

But, it's articles like this that can really ruin a product before it even is launched.

I'm fine with a reviewer stating "I've tried the Storm and hated it". That's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

But, what this guy did in the guise of "journalism" is simply unconscionable.
    11-13-08 04:04 PM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I read the article and got rather annoyed at the sheer laziness of the journalist.
    Wow, you said it. What a horrible, lazy article.
    11-13-08 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD