Make sure all apps you are not using are turned off. Hold the BB (Menu) button. There should only be 5 apps running (phone, homescreen, BBM, Messages and Browser) Anything else turn it off. Access the app and then exit it to ensure its off.

Also as stated previously delete unwanted and unused apps. For example if you have Google Maps you don't need BB Maps. Password keeper, Games. Bottom line if you dont use it, you dont need it.

Then of course do a battery pull after all of the deleting. Also run memory cleaner to clean the cache. Or go to options under browser and clear the memory logs.

And if you have a theme..... Delete it. Sorry. But they are the biggest causes of memory leaks. Dont just de-activate it, delete it all together.

This and the other tips should work.
    Can BB Maps really be deleted without causing issues with other apps like WeatherBug.
    Also, there is another thread about doing a "security wipe" of personal info that gained 5 megs on my S1.
    03-23-10 12:01 PM
    If you have 39 mb of memory on your phone you are doing pretty good. I dont think you are going to pick up much more with doing a serious shrink and even with that I doubt you will gain much. 39 is pretty good for a storm 1.
    very ture
    after a shrink i was at around +/- 40mb
    03-23-10 12:24 PM
    Everytime I do something suggseted the memory goes up and lasts for a day or two then it slowly starts to go back down again. It's not dropping at an alarming rate or anything but it's still annoying lol!!

i feel your pain. i wish i wouldnt have to check my memory amount throughout the day. now i have quickPull notify me when its close to 1mb so that I can batt-pull.
    very annoying... wish too it would just stay at the amount after a reset but unfortunately there are apps out there that use the memory and cannot add it back after you close the app. :-(
    03-23-10 12:28 PM
    I understand where your coming from. I've wiped my S1 numerous times over the past year + when stepping to new OS's. I always shrink the OS, removing DTG, and everything else possible to free up memory. This typically puts me around 42mb, stock. After installing the apps I use daily I'm down to 20mb or so. I currently sit at 15mb on a fresh boot, debating daily which apps to remove to free up memory. Installing new apps is now a what to delete to get this app decision.

My best advice is to pull the battery daily. I fought this and fought this, but the truth is the BB S1, with limited app+paging memory just plain runs better with a daily reboot. If I go > 1 day I get the pop up asking what I'd like to delete and if I ignore that messages start to auto delete.

Non-Related Personal Note:
    I hate to say this but this is my last BB. It's aggravating watching my friends on their iPhones, Androids and Palm Pre's with 2 - 3x the installed apps, a lot of them running in real-time, and hearing they can go weeks to months without problems. If RIM could open up the on-board memory (1GB) somehow it would make a huge difference.
    03-23-10 09:15 PM
    hey whats up guys new to the site, but i actually found this forum while searching google for answers to this problem. My memory is constantly falling to below 20, to that point that quick pull pops up almost as soon as the phone boots back up. I've taken almost all apps off it has 2 themes on it, BBmessenger, quick pull and app world are all i have on there. It sucks because i had to remove all my stuff that i liked...(FB,MS,etc.) Is there any point to this phone? I know I asked a guy from tech support with verizon, why the sales people suggested this phone could do what the Iphone could, when i was making my decision between the 2. And i chose the storm over the Iphone because I liked the verizon network better in my area. His response... "Sorry they told ya that man, but the storm can't begin to hold a candle to the Iphone" doesn't leave me with much hope for it lol.
    03-23-10 10:31 PM
    hey whats up guys new to the site, but i actually found this forum while searching google for answers to this problem. My memory is constantly falling to below 20, to that point that quick pull pops up almost as soon as the phone boots back up. I've taken almost all apps off it has 2 themes on it, BBmessenger, quick pull and app world are all i have on there. It sucks because i had to remove all my stuff that i liked...(FB,MS,etc.) Is there any point to this phone? I know I asked a guy from tech support with verizon, why the sales people suggested this phone could do what the Iphone could, when i was making my decision between the 2. And i chose the storm over the Iphone because I liked the verizon network better in my area. His response... "Sorry they told ya that man, but the storm can't begin to hold a candle to the Iphone" doesn't leave me with much hope for it lol.
    Falling below 20mb should not cause you any problems really. I have let mine go as low as 2 mb and had no problems. What kind of theme are you running. Some can leak really bad, but I have noticed that after running a theme for a few days it tends to settle in and quits leaking as much.

I have not used QuickPull in a long time as I use meterberry - does it have a setting to alert you to reset? If so, lower that sucker. Should not go off at 20mb. Before I wiped my OS and reloaded i only booted at 18mb on a good day and didn't worry about it. Trying taking all that crap you dont need off the phone for more memory -documents to go, languages, etc. Lots of ways to do it. You can private message me or just search on here.
    03-24-10 08:17 AM
    i feel your pain. i wish i wouldnt have to check my memory amount throughout the day. now i have quickPull notify me when its close to 1mb so that I can batt-pull.
    very annoying... wish too it would just stay at the amount after a reset but unfortunately there are apps out there that use the memory and cannot add it back after you close the app. :-(

so in my post that i quoted, i noticed that my memory falls much faster if i let quickpull monitor and notify me if my memory fell... and then i said to myself, of course its falling since it needs memory to monitor the memory (at least on my phone).
    The QP monitoring is something i tried only for 3-4 days and quickly went back to how i was.
    had the phone for a year now.
    03-24-10 05:33 PM
    All I know is that I am so frustrated. App World is the biggest App I have, all other Apps have come from App world, there are not that many on my phone and it is a locked up stopwatch all the time.

I QP and Battery Pull all the time and it does nothing. I start at a little over 5 and then it drops like a rock.

I tried to delete a bunch of unneeded apps on DM, which says I have over 40mb free, and it starts to work, says it is going to reload the 5.0 Core Apps and that crashes because it says there isn't enough memory on the phone to load it.

I got the S1 when it first came out and I can't believe how irritated I am with it. App World and App World apps should not cause memory leak and this issue shouldn't be a concern. BB S1 owners shouldn't have to "shrink" their OS. I don't care if it is easy-it shouldn't be necessary.

I have had a rotten experience with the BB and waste so much time trying to get the phone to work. I average about 80-100 messages (emails/calls/texts) per day and this phone has not lived up to expectations at all.
    03-25-10 02:44 PM
    BB S1 owners shouldn't have to "shrink" their OS. I don't care if it is easy-it shouldn't be necessary...

i agree with you 1000%. it is indeed frustrating.
    we shouldnt be having to shrink our OS just so we can utilize it only a little bit more.

im really happy im not with a dumbed-down phone (a non-smartphone) from vzw like i used to be. was very limited in what i could do and now have my first BB (S1) for exactly 1 year now. and the S1 is much better than what I had.. but i really didnt expect i had to learn how to shrink and load the OS on to the device.
    truth is, before i went for the storm i was scanning the forums as a non member for about 3 months just to get an idea to know what i was getting into.
    before i even got the BB i knew what a battery pull was.

But truth is, it would be much much nicer if we didnt have to do all these things. i love the storm and what it can do and all the things i do on it.
    and this goes out to the other BB models to that have to monitor their memory and conduct battpulls, shrink etc.

the BB OS layout is pretty understandable to me and im even looking to move to a S2 - and even then, i will shrink the OS (now that im more familiar with it).. just to get that little extra.
    03-26-10 01:03 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD