Just came across this.

BestBuy.com - Search Results
    11-14-08 07:58 AM
    Just came across this.
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    I note that "included accessories" doesn't appear to include a slip case.
    Since I have always bought clam phones to avoid accidental calls from my pocket, I guess I'm off to find one.....

Rich
    11-14-08 08:08 AM
    yikes........
    11-14-08 08:19 AM
    I'm really hoping there will be a significant rebate to go along with this.
    11-14-08 08:31 AM
    Can this be purchased now?
    11-14-08 08:38 AM
    Can this be purchased now?
    Apparently not. It says in stores only and none of the stores I checked show any in stock.
    11-14-08 08:40 AM
    I'm really hoping there will be a significant rebate to go along with this.

Agree'd! Other wise ill be forced to cancel my service and start a new line to get the $199 deal.
    11-14-08 08:42 AM
    Well that's just the phone no contract. I doubt it will be any cheaper.. That's better than the $680 they told me.. .It's more cost effective to get the contract because even if you cancel it's still going to make the phone about $375 because the phone was $199 plus the $175 termination fee or if you already have a contract your term fee its probably going to be $200 so the phone is still going to be about $400 if you cancel and switch services
    11-14-08 08:50 AM
    My thing is I don't want to lose my number. I've had my number for about 5 years and everyone has it. So I don't think I have any choice but to pay full retail . I was thinking of adding a line then swapping phones. Then canceling the second line. But I'm not sure if there is an ETF if you cancel right away. Anyway I'll try to figure something out. But right now it looks like it will be $600 out of my pocket next Friday.
    11-14-08 09:06 AM
    My thing is I don't want to lose my number. I've had my number for about 5 years and everyone has it. So I don't think I have any choice but to pay full retail . I was thinking of adding a line then swapping phones. Then canceling the second line. But I'm not sure if there is an ETF if you cancel right away. Anyway I'll try to figure something out. But right now it looks like it will be $600 out of my pocket next Friday.

Or you could wait a few months and get one when the price comes down.
    11-14-08 09:07 AM
    Hmmm, I don't know if I can justify spending $600 on this phone. I was willing to spend $550, and then tax would get be a killer. I just don't think this seems right.

Who am I kidding, I'm buying it.
    11-14-08 09:09 AM
    Or you could wait a few months and get one when the price comes down.
    Actually my Voyager is starting to drive me nuts. I don't think it will last the rest of the year. The touch screen is becoming unresponsive. I've already had it replaced once. I think its time for a new phone.
    11-14-08 09:11 AM
    Just found out that my dad apparently gets a 25% discount on all phones and accessories from Verizon...at least that's what the rep told him... so that will be helpful when it comes to paying full retail.. lol.. plus if I can sell my Dare for $100+ that will help a lot also... If after the discount and the difference from my Dare it's $400 or less, I can live with that...
    11-14-08 09:21 AM
    Since VZW has a $50 mail in rebate for new contracts, shouldn't that rebate be available for those paying full retail as well?
    11-14-08 09:50 AM
    I bet everybody is going back to Best Buy to get their $50.00 deposit back. lmao
    11-14-08 09:58 AM
    Just found out that my dad apparently gets a 25% discount on all phones and accessories from Verizon...at least that's what the rep told him... so that will be helpful when it comes to paying full retail.. lol.. plus if I can sell my Dare for $100+ that will help a lot also... If after the discount and the difference from my Dare it's $400 or less, I can live with that...
    Depending on the condition of your Dare, you should get more like $300.00 for it, take a look on eBay right now for used Dare's. I have the same phone and plan to sell it on eBay when I pick up my Storm.
    11-14-08 10:03 AM
    Depending on the condition of your Dare, you should get more like $300.00 for it, take a look on eBay right now for used Dare's. I have the same phone and plan to sell it on eBay when I pick up my Storm.
    Eh. Mine's a little scratched up on the sides (very small scratches), and one hairline scratch on the screen (also VERY small). I'm going to note that when I put it on ebay, and list it for $100. If it gets up to $200 or $300 that'd be great, but we'll see what happens.
    11-14-08 10:07 AM
    Hmmm, I don't know if I can justify spending $600 on this phone. I was willing to spend $550, and then tax would get be a killer. I just don't think this seems right.

Who am I kidding, I'm buying it.
    Hehe, atleast you're honest. Same goes for me, stuck paying full retail. Does anyone know if you get a discount if you have a BB Rewards Zone account?
    11-14-08 10:12 AM
    Eh. Mine's a little scratched up on the sides (very small scratches), and one hairline scratch on the screen (also VERY small). I'm going to note that when I put it on ebay, and list it for $100. If it gets up to $200 or $300 that'd be great, but we'll see what happens.
    I still think you will get $200+ for it.
    11-14-08 10:19 AM
    I bet everybody is going back to Best Buy to get their $50.00 deposit back. lmao
    why? the phone is 200 with contract from them.
    11-14-08 10:20 AM
    If the price of a Bold is any indication, Best Buy seems to charge a good bit more for their non-contract phones than the carriers do. The Bold on AT&T's website is $549 without a contract. If you buy the same phone at Best Buy, it goes for $659! So, perhaps, by scaling, we can estimate that full retail for the Storm if you buy directly from Verizon would be $499. If it is $499, that would match with the originally speculated full retail price that was based on the approx retail value quoted in the fine print of that grab-a-storm contest in NY.

So, my options are to buy one outright ($599 @ Best Buy, hopefully $499 at Verizon), add a line to my family plan and keep it for the full 2 years of the contract ($200 phone + $10/mo * 24 mos = $440), or I could add a line to my family plan and then cancel it right after ($200 phone + $175 ETF = $375). If I did my math correctly, it looks like adding a line and then cancelling it is the cheapest way to go. I sure hope I'm right about that $499 thing, though.

-SR-
    11-14-08 10:20 AM
    If the price of a Bold is any indication, Best Buy seems to charge a good bit more for their non-contract phones than the carriers do. The Bold on AT&T's website is $549 without a contract. If you buy the same phone at Best Buy, it goes for $659! So, perhaps, by scaling, we can estimate that full retail for the Storm if you buy directly from Verizon would be $499. If it is $499, that would match with the originally speculated full retail price that was based on the approx retail value quoted in the fine print of that grab-a-storm contest in NY.

So, my options are to buy one outright ($599 @ Best Buy, hopefully $499 at Verizon), add a line to my family plan and keep it for the full 2 years of the contract ($200 phone + $10/mo * 24 mos = $440), or I could add a line to my family plan and then cancel it right after ($200 phone + $175 ETF = $375). If I did my math correctly, it looks like adding a line and then cancelling it is the cheapest way to go. I sure hope I'm right about that $499 thing, though.

-SR-

I just spoke to Best Buy and they stated that they'll match the Verizon Online or corporate store price for full retail. So if Verizon has it at $499 they'll match it.
    11-14-08 10:32 AM
    I still think you will get $200+ for it.
    That'd be good. The more the better
    11-14-08 10:36 AM
    Here's other examples of Best Buy inflating their full retail prices on Blackberries...

AT&T Curve 8310:
    Best Buy = $549
    AT&T Direct = $329

T-Mobile Pearl 8100:
    Best Buy = $349
    T-Mo Direct = $299

T-Mobile Pearl 8120:
    Best Buy = $429
    T-Mo Direct = $349

Alltel Pearl 8130:
    Best Buy = $629
    Alltel Direct = $479

Alltel Curve 8330:
    Best Buy = $679
    Alltel Direct = $519

See the pattern?

Clearly, Best Buy charges an additional premium over the carriers when it comes to cell phones.

-SR-
    11-14-08 10:36 AM
    I just spoke to Best Buy and they stated that they'll match the Verizon Online or corporate store price for full retail. So if Verizon has it at $499 they'll match it.
    That's good to know; otherwise, I can't see how anyone would ever buy a phone there.

-SR-
    11-14-08 10:37 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD