I'm not looking for a comparison between the two phones on a 3g network. My dilemma is choosing between an iPhone and a Storm living in an area where AT&T has no 3G network but Verizon does. If I lived in an area that had both, I would probably choose the iPhone for media player reasons, and I prefer the browser. One of the major reasons I'm getting a smart phone is for browsing, and while I think the iPhone browser is better, I'm wondering if it being significantly slower than the verizon 3g network will outweigh the advantages. Thoughts?
    12-07-08 08:43 PM
    God not another Storm vs iPhone thread.

The answer to your question is yes, iPhone on EDGE is significantly slower than Storm on 3G.

The real answer to your question is SEARCH!
    12-07-08 08:46 PM
    Thanks for your dismissive response.

I've searched, and have not found an answer to this specific response. I may not be using the search effectively, as I'm new here, but my question is not whether or not the storm is faster. I know it is. My question is, for someone choosing between the two - for whom browsing is a major concern, is non-3g browsing on the iPhone so much slower than the 3g storm that it makes the iphone a bad choice.
    12-07-08 08:52 PM
    Most of us will tell you that Storm 3G beats Iphone 3G so therefore it destroys Iphone EDGE.
    12-07-08 08:53 PM
    Thanks for your dismissive response.

I've searched, and have not found an answer to this specific response. I may not be using the search effectively, as I'm new here, but my question is not whether or not the storm is faster. I know it is. My question is, for someone choosing between the two - for whom browsing is a major concern, is non-3g browsing on the iPhone so much slower than the 3g storm that it makes the iphone a bad choice.
    Wow, and if you had read my response, you would have seen:

"The answer to your question is yes, iPhone on EDGE is significantly slower than Storm on 3G."

I would've posted a youtube video to show a storm side-by-side with a first gen iPhone, but now you've pissed me off.
    12-07-08 08:58 PM
    I think the slower speed of the iPhone would get extremely annoying. My co-worker has the older iPhone, and I can't stand how slow the internet is. I DO however think that the iPhones browser is superior.
    If you live in an area where there is EV-DO Rev A coverage, but not AT&T 3G coverage, I say go with the Storm. Within 30 days, if you aren't happy.....just return it!

Good luck!
    12-07-08 08:59 PM

The answer to your question is yes, iPhone on EDGE is significantly slower than Storm on 3G.

It's really tough to say without knowing where you are and what type of coverage verizon has there. sometimes if the coverage is spotty then it doesnt matter if you have 3g coverage it never comes in! I have a friend with a iphone sans 3g and he gets pretty quick service so like i said it just depends. sorry i cant be more specific but of course in the most optimal settings 3g will beat edge.

-Btw why do some of the lovely bloggers on crackberry have to be such buttholes. don't THEY know that you don't have to read every thread that is written? if you don't want to read iphone comparisons then dont click on them. oh and by the way, unclench.
    Last edited by btspartan; 12-07-08 at 09:05 PM.
    12-07-08 09:03 PM
    I dont think there will be as much noticeable difference as you think. Safari is a far better browser than the blackberry browser. It handles java scripts and overall rendering much better. Even only being on edge, I would go for the iphone if you're just going off who has the better browser.
    12-07-08 09:04 PM
    oh and by the way, unclench.
    ahhhhhhh, much better! thanks for you suggestion
    12-07-08 09:04 PM
    buy one of those mini dell computers and use wifi if you just want to browse the net.. I think some of the dells can hook into att or other gsm carriers now.
    12-07-08 09:10 PM
    A netbook really isn't a solution I'm looking for. I'm going to buy either an iPhone or a Storm in the next month or so. With no AT&T 3G in the near future, I'm just trying to determine, based on input from people who are more familiar with the storm and iPhone than I am, whether or not the speed bonus (no youtube video necessary, I've already watched them) of Verizon's network will outweigh the benefits of the iPhone.

For me, the reasons I would pick iPhone if networks were equal are

1) I use a MacBook as a primary computer, and organize all my music with iTunes. I'd like to use a smartphone as a music player as well, and think syncing will be much easier. Is that true?
    2) I have used the browser on an iPod touch quite a bit (wifi,) and really like it. I've only used the BB browser on the Storm at a Verizon store for a few minutes. It seemed pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Apple's.
    3) I like a number of the apps offered in Apple's app store

I feel pretty stuck, because I picture myself miserable with the speed (or lack thereof) on EDGE - otherwise I think the decision would be clear. Does anyone use an iPhone on EDGE exclusively - and not want to kill themselves while they wait for pages to load?
    12-07-08 09:20 PM
    I think the slower speed of the iPhone would get extremely annoying. My co-worker has the older iPhone, and I can't stand how slow the internet is. I DO however think that the iPhones browser is superior.
    If you live in an area where there is EV-DO Rev A coverage, but not AT&T 3G coverage, I say go with the Storm. Within 30 days, if you aren't happy.....just return it!

Good luck!
    Personally, If pretty browing is your top priority, storm is not for you. I don't mind the simple look though because I've seen multiple videos showing storm and iPhone 3G with same signal strength and have yet to see the iPhone win the battle. It's not more than 3 or 5 seconds difference, but to me, that's big enough.

Hopefully fennec fox comes to the BB soon (my fingers are crossed for 3 months lol), now THAT browser looks pretty

ALSO: The OP said media player is important to him. I've used both and they're no different IMO. Both do shuffle of artist, genre, song, album, etc. Both do the same separation. Album art is Prettier on the Storm IMO. Headphone jack positioning is no problem for me because I use a horizontal belt clip (which actually makes the locationing MORE convenient).

Only place (In my opinion) that the iPhone overall > Storm is that it's had more time to work out bugs (which is a non issue in due time) and there are more games, etc. (Also may be a non issue in due time).

Personally, if you have the option, go with the storm...it's about 10 bucks more per month cus of the plan but over all I find it to be a better phone overall (given that all current kinks will be soon worked out).

Also, Ask verizon CS but I'm pretty sure their return policy is still till the 15th of Jan on phones purchased now...that would give you an extra week or so of testing the phone (on top of the 30 days)

My roommate uses his iPhone on EDGE only and while he doesn't hate it, I do hear him cursing it every so often. It doesn't suck......but it sucks, let's just put it that way.
    Last edited by CSSVT; 12-07-08 at 09:55 PM.
    12-07-08 09:29 PM
    I own and use a iPhone for one reason, Mobile Me. But before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I have a Storm on order and it will be my primary business phone. I use Mobile Me for contacts and calendar wireless sync. I will use the Storm as my primary everything business phone. So each fills a specific need. If BB had a Mobile Me type service, I would be using it instead of Mobile Me. I cannot wait for my Storm to come in as I think that it will be a much better business phone. To me the Storm is so much more functional and a get down to business phone. IMHO
    12-07-08 09:30 PM
    I had an iPhone (non-3G) in a no 3G area of AT&T. I now have a Storm in a good Verizon area. My honest opinion...if Browsing is your priority...you will be happier on the iPhone.

but, the cell reception will suck and might drive you mad.
    12-07-08 09:34 PM
    @CSSVT - Thanks for your input. I see you're a hokie. I live in Roanoke, which of course has no AT&T 3G, and no plans in the near future, according to the roanoke times. I've seen the videos, too, but I feel like AT&T in the roanoke valley isn't great to begin with. Any friends with iPhones that you laugh at regularly while quickly browsing the web? Do you have any specific thoughts for someone local, or does your previous answer stand unchanged?
    12-07-08 09:39 PM
    A netbook really isn't a solution I'm looking for. I'm going to buy either an iPhone or a Storm in the next month or so. With no AT&T 3G in the near future, I'm just trying to determine, based on input from people who are more familiar with the storm and iPhone than I am, whether or not the speed bonus (no youtube video necessary, I've already watched them) of Verizon's network will outweigh the benefits of the iPhone.

For me, the reasons I would pick iPhone if networks were equal are

1) I use a MacBook as a primary computer, and organize all my music with iTunes. I'd like to use a smartphone as a music player as well, and think syncing will be much easier. Is that true?
    2) I have used the browser on an iPod touch quite a bit (wifi,) and really like it. I've only used the BB browser on the Storm at a Verizon store for a few minutes. It seemed pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Apple's.
    3) I like a number of the apps offered in Apple's app store

I feel pretty stuck, because I picture myself miserable with the speed (or lack thereof) on EDGE - otherwise I think the decision would be clear. Does anyone use an iPhone on EDGE exclusively - and not want to kill themselves while they wait for pages to load?
    Honestly get the iPhone. For these 3 reasons:
    1 you're already a mac loser and you're going to whine that you can't run desktop manager on your mac. (I'm a linux user and I deal).
    2 you want to use it as an mp3 player and you want it to sync easy (which means you're probably going to complain when you have to just copy music over and do things yourself (I think this cause you're a mac wheenie) So again you'll be in here complaining (cause you can't work the search feature).
    3 You're willing to wait and ask stupid questions like this even after seeing the you tube videos so you're patient. The slow internet access will fit with your personality and you'll be giving more money to Apple so it will warm your mac loving soul.

There ya go... Now you have my opinion too.
    12-07-08 09:39 PM

If you dislike the topic of the thread, why read it? It's not as if the subject line told you "free money and candy inside."
    12-07-08 09:42 PM
    ahhhhhhh, much better! thanks for you suggestion
    great sense of humor! it nice to see people not take them self so seriously

oh and if you are not in a hurry on the phone then just give the storm a few more months in the oven and trust me, unless RIM and verizon have invested so much time and resources on a phone they plan on dumping then the storm will be just as sharp as the iphone. i already don't know what i would do without it.
    12-07-08 09:43 PM
    I had iPhone with edge.. the edge was fine for emails.. anything else was so poor in speed that I barely used it.

in the entire time of using edge with iPhone I had 80 megabytes used..

thats over a year on the phone.

if I didn't have wi-fi I didn't use it..

an it sucked being bound to just wi-fi

the storm is blazing fast compared.

My suggestion is for the phone grab the storm.. and if later down the road you feel you need something for media just grab a itouch or something.. with edge the iPhone is not worth it.
    12-07-08 09:44 PM
    Common sense should answer your own question. You want a phone to browse the net. Phones are made for calling as a number one priority! Personally I am quite fond of VZW and would never leave 'the network'. If all you want is to browse use an ipod touch (You said you have one, right)? PHONES ARE FOR MAKING/RECIEVING CALLS. I Have an Itouch which I can even text on. Everything but calls for the most part. I don't care for the thing after getting my Storm and will most likely sell it if there ever becomes a stereo dock for the storm available.
    12-07-08 09:46 PM
    opera mini.
    12-07-08 10:04 PM
    I will tell you I used to have a 2G iphone and it is slow as heck when not running on wifi. If you have wifi then you may not mind.. But if its depending on service entirely.. Go with the Storm. Huge difference between Verizon's EVDO and AT&T's EDGE,
    12-07-08 10:07 PM
    It's really tough to say without knowing where you are and what type of coverage verizon has there. sometimes if the coverage is spotty then it doesnt matter if you have 3g coverage it never comes in! I have a friend with a iphone sans 3g and he gets pretty quick service so like i said it just depends. sorry i cant be more specific but of course in the most optimal settings 3g will beat edge.

-Btw why do some of the lovely bloggers on crackberry have to be such buttholes. don't THEY know that you don't have to read every thread that is written? if you don't want to read iphone comparisons then dont click on them. oh and by the way, unclench.
    Couldn't of said it better myself . I see the SAME poster's in the "whiners thread" the "iphone comparison threads" saying how tired they are of whiners, or mac lovers. Yet they jump in EACH thread and post????
    12-07-08 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD