I have never seen anything remotely resemble the "3G" icon on my Storm. I called Verizon and they assured me that there is in fact 3G coverage in my area, but it is sometimes difficult to obtain while indoors. After hearing that, I have been checking my status while on the street or outside and gotten nothing.

Has anyone else had any trouble with this????
    12-02-08 07:28 AM
    1XEV is the 3G equivalent on the CDMA Storm
    12-02-08 07:31 AM
    The "3G" icon should be for highspeed GSM. the 1XEV should be running on VZW's EVDO Rev. A which is their 3G network
    12-02-08 07:32 AM
    I have never seen anything remotely resemble the "3G" icon on my Storm. I called Verizon and they assured me that there is in fact 3G coverage in my area, but it is sometimes difficult to obtain while indoors. After hearing that, I have been checking my status while on the street or outside and gotten nothing.

Has anyone else had any trouble with this????
    To be clear, on verizon in the US you should never see the 3g icon. 1XEV is the CDMA equivalent. Overseas you should see the 3G icon if you are roaming on a GSM / 3G network. Don't worry you are missing any speed.
    Last edited by realitydigg; 12-02-08 at 04:31 PM.
    12-02-08 07:51 AM
    Ah. Thanks for the info.

If only the Verizon techs/reps were as wise as CB.

They really don't know S#!t
    12-02-08 08:14 AM
    Hey cbtk18, my first post here was the very same question! I love CB! ANYTHING want to know is here!
    12-02-08 08:26 AM
    good to know, I had the same question
    12-02-08 08:27 AM
    I have to disagree with what you are saying about being over seas for 3G, why advertise it on commercials if its only over seas why not say that you will get 3g service over seas, if you read your book it says 3G YOU CAN USE THE PHONE AND SEND AND RECEIVE EMAIL MESSAGES OR USE THE BROWSER SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    1XEV/EDGE does not say the same thing it says YOU CAN USE THE PHONE, SEND EMAIL AND RECEIVE EMAIL MESSAGES, PIN MESSAGES and so.....

I know know about you but there is a difference, I called Verizon and enquired about this and they did not know maybe the phone is new and they don't know but I for one think that we are suppose to get 3G and I will keep asking about it until I get a definite answer. I have a guy who sits in the office next to me and he has the Bold from ATT and his says 3G I know its a different network but I have a problem with advertising something that is not true.
    12-02-08 10:45 AM
    3G just stand for "Third Generation". VZW's 3rd Generation (3G) is the 1XEV (EVDO) networks. the 3G symbol that allows for both voice and data on the device will only show when on HSDPA GSM networks is places like Europe

this is my understanding of it. someone like CX maybe able to better state what it is
    12-02-08 10:48 AM
    I have to disagree with what you are saying about being over seas for 3G, why advertise it on commercials if its only over seas why not say that you will get 3g service over seas, if you read your book it says 3G YOU CAN USE THE PHONE AND SEND AND RECEIVE EMAIL MESSAGES OR USE THE BROWSER SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    1XEV/EDGE does not say the same thing it says YOU CAN USE THE PHONE, SEND EMAIL AND RECEIVE EMAIL MESSAGES, PIN MESSAGES and so.....

I know know about you but there is a difference, I called Verizon and enquired about this and they did not know maybe the phone is new and they don't know but I for one think that we are suppose to get 3G and I will keep asking about it until I get a definite answer. I have a guy who sits in the office next to me and he has the Bold from ATT and his says 3G I know its a different network but I have a problem with advertising something that is not true.
    It works exactly as it's supposed to. You'll only see the little 3G on GSM networks. AT&T is a GSM network, hence the little 3G. Verizon is CDMA. The 1x EV IS the 3G for Verizon. Pretty simple actually.

The difference in the ability to use the internet while on the phone or not has nothing to do with 3G, and everything to do with the type of network (CDMA/GSM).
    12-02-08 10:53 AM

Don't be silly. "3G" per say is just a marketing branding. Stands for 3rd generation. It is not a STANDARD, so 3G for one carrier does not mean 3G on another. For that matter, all CDMA Blackberries, even older 8830/8130/8330 ones are 3G CDMA. The Storm has the newer RevA standard, which if you're going to be specific about is actually 3.5G since it is faster then the Rev0 3G of the last handsets. EVDO speeds have been upgraded to the RevA standard for all towers that Verizon has, so anytime you see EV or ev on your signal identifier, you're on EVDO, no ifs, ands, or buts. The HSDPA 3G naming designation is what you're seeing when you look at your friends AT&T 3G signal indicator. Totally different frequency and ratification.

Again, don't let the "marketing lingo" fool you into thinking you're comparing apples to oranges.

Also, as others have stated, the voice/data at the same thing is a capability of the network technology implemented, so what works on HSDPA will not on CDMA networks. That's the difference, not the "G"eneration of the network.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-02-08 at 10:58 AM.
    12-02-08 10:55 AM
    I am not the smartest guy in the world by far but I can read and if you look in your book it outlines exactly what the terms means and it says 3G blah blah blah, and then it says 1XEV EDGE BLAH BLAH BLAH
    12-02-08 11:04 AM
    Feel free to continue on being stubborn and not taking in the information being given to you then. Nowhere in the US is voice and data simultaneously available
    12-02-08 11:10 AM
    It doesnt matter what the book says. If you are in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA with a verizon blackberry storm, you WILL NEVER see a 3G icon. If you go over to say like... England... and use their GSM service and have a proper 3G signal you WILL see a 3G icon. 1XEV is the EXACT SAME THING as GSM 3G. It is just verizon's implementation of it. Don't worry about it. Who reads the little books anyway?
    12-02-08 11:19 AM
    I am not the smartest guy in the world by far but I can read and if you look in your book it outlines exactly what the terms means and it says 3G blah blah blah, and then it says 1XEV EDGE BLAH BLAH BLAH
    1XEV EDGE huh? Interesting... since Edge is also a GSM term.

Do some research on the web and grasp an understanding of what everyone on here is telling you.

1XEV = EVDO Rev A on the Storm which means CDMA 3G - EVDO is as follows:

Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only, abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO and often EV, is a telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission of data through radio signals, typically for broadband Internet access. It uses multiplexing techniques including Code division multiple access (CDMA) as well as Time division multiple access (TDMA) to maximize both individual user's throughput and the overall system throughput. It is standardized by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) as part of the CDMA2000 family of standards and has been adopted by many mobile phone service providers around the world � particularly those previously employing CDMA networks. It is also used on the Globalstar satellite phone network.

This was pulled from Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-02-08 11:19 AM
    It could also be the same rep denying that there is a hardware click problem on the Storm and that a software update will fix it. Trust what Crackberry users are telling you as they know more then the reps you talk to on the phone.
    12-02-08 11:29 AM
    I trust almost everything that crackberry has to say there is much knowlege here, I am just giving my opinion for me.
    12-02-08 11:36 AM
    It is and uses the 3G standard thru the 1X EV-DO and GSM thru HSDPA. But GSM carriers are not going to add all that especially when 3G is so much easier just to implement. CDMA chose to show it as 1XEV. There really is no difference in how 3G works in either band. CDMA uses 1XEV and GSM uses HSDPA for the 3G standard.
    12-02-08 01:14 PM
    EV-DO = third generation (3G) CDMA and gets the 1xEV icon.

"3G Network" = third generation (3G) GSM and gets the 3G icon.

The fact that people are constantly thinking 3G icon = 3G technology just shows how successful AT&T was here in the states at duping everyone into believing that their "3G Network" is the be-all, end-all of 3G.
    12-02-08 01:28 PM
    thanks for asking, i love to educate myself!
    12-02-08 01:35 PM
    Feel free to continue on being stubborn and not taking in the information being given to you then. Nowhere in the US is voice and data simultaneously available
    Are you 100% sure about this? I was under the impression that voice and data would work on any 3g network...

Huh, well after some testing it sure seems that you are correct. I thought this dumb thing would do both on any 3g network.
    12-02-08 01:48 PM
    Are you 100% sure about this? I was under the impression that voice and data would work on any 3g network...

Huh, well after some testing it sure seems that you are correct. I thought this dumb thing would do both on any 3g network.
    Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only, abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO and often EV, is a telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission of data through radio signals, typically for broadband Internet access. It uses multiplexing techniques including Code division multiple access (CDMA) as well as Time division multiple access (TDMA) to maximize both individual user's throughput and the overall system throughput. It is standardized by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) as part of the CDMA2000 family of standards and has been adopted by many mobile phone service providers around the world � particularly those previously employing CDMA networks. It is also used on the Globalstar satellite phone network.

Now EV-DV was both data and voice but has pretty much fallen by the waist side, as it had to be backwards compatible with existing networks at the time. Carriers did not want to have to deal with that headache, so EV-DO was implemented instead as it was the easiest and less hassle system to implement with their current equipment. So 3g is seperate from Voice which is either CDMA or GSM.
    12-02-08 02:16 PM
    Feel free to keep handing out false information without doing any research then. Voice, data and messaging are all available simultaneously on AT&T's Network with compatible devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 01:27 AM
    Lol go cdma!
    01-08-10 01:42 AM
    Feel free to keep handing out false information without doing any research then. Voice, data and messaging are all available simultaneously on AT&T's Network with compatible devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    really, bring a thread from over a year ago for that comment...damn n00bs

and just for the record....voice/data will not work at the same time on a CDMA network without wifi. and also some BBs and other VZW phones will now show the 3G symbol also. Times change.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-08-10 at 01:55 AM.
    01-08-10 01:53 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD