My Storm 1 has recently become so slow that when I receive a phone call, I just get the flashing LED, and the screen tried to turn on, but I just get a black screen with the little "loading" icon. I can't answer the call, I can't do anything. Once it finally catches up with itself, I've missed the call. I have normal applications installed on my phone (weather, call blocker, quickpull, and a few others), and I always check to make sure that none of them are running unless I am using them. I have to reset the phone at least 5 times a day to keep it running at a speed I can deal with, and even then it HATES receiving phone calls. Any idea how I can speed this thing up? I'm not opposed to doing a complete wipe at this point.... Thanks!
    06-16-10 11:36 AM
    how much app memory do you have?
    06-16-10 11:47 AM
    Have checked for an update?
    Have you done the *228 recently(Verizon)?

I'm down to 26mb myself and can't seem to get any more. I only have a few apps myself and have deleted some. I tried the "get down to 8 items on the home screen" thing and that did absolutely................................ NOTHING! Worthless IMHO.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-16-10 at 01:53 PM.
    06-16-10 01:47 PM
    Have checked for an update?
    Have you done the *228 recently(Verizon)?

I'm down to 26mb myself and can't seem to get any more. I only have a few apps myself and have deleted some. I tried the "get down to 8 items on the home screen" thing and that did absolutely................................ NOTHING! Worthless IMHO.
    That isn't supposed to help your app memory...

you should look into some of the threads around here about shrinking your OS.
    06-16-10 09:46 PM
    I'll look around for some stuff, but its really getting ridiculous now. I was out at lunch today and a motorcycle crashed right in front of me. I pressed the green phone button to call 911 and my screen completely froze for a full 2 minutes before I could make the call. I had just reset the phone less then an hour earlier. Ugh. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 11:10 PM
    Thread title change to one that is more informative and searchable.
    06-16-10 11:21 PM
    That isn't supposed to help your app memory...

you should look into some of the threads around here about shrinking your OS.
    Never seen one. What does that do? Got a link to one. Searched and didn't find one.

Here's a paragraph from the "8 items on home screen" item:
    "After moving to only 8 icons on the home screen and doing a daily mid day to late afternoon battery pull, my Storm has become a totally different machine. This regimen has also improved battery life. I know it sounds hard to believe, but I encourage all of you to give it a try. I'm quite sure you will be amazed at the difference. Typing speed, web browsing, app switching all move much faster and more efficiently as Application Memory returns above 44MBs."
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-17-10 at 08:22 AM.
    06-17-10 08:17 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...b-gone-483666/

Try the security wipe on the above thread.....
    06-17-10 08:20 AM
    That sounds like the fix to me.
    06-17-10 08:22 AM
    Never seen one. What does that do? Got a link to one. Searched and didn't find one.

Here's a paragraph from the "8 items on home screen" item:
    "After moving to only 8 icons on the home screen and doing a daily mid day to late afternoon battery pull, my Storm has become a totally different machine. This regimen has also improved battery life. I know it sounds hard to believe, but I encourage all of you to give it a try. I'm quite sure you will be amazed at the difference. Typing speed, web browsing, app switching all move much faster and more efficiently as Application Memory returns above 44MBs."
    Shrink-A-OS will shrink your OS when you install it. But if you just did the security wipe thing, you can connect to desktop manager and open app loader and delete things you dont use like foreign languages etc......
    06-17-10 10:12 AM
    deleted, removed
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-17-10 at 02:04 PM.
    06-17-10 11:20 AM
    Pretty sure I've done that on my own.............. like the week I got the phone

Will look to make sure. Thanks.

Did the Security wipe and up to 45mb from 27!
    06-17-10 11:20 AM
    Available application memory does not correlate to the speed of your phone. The only time it is related is when you have zero available memory.

Having 45 mb instead of 27 just means you can run more applications simultaneously (although to start with 45 means you won't have many to begin with, as you'll have stripped as much functionality from your phone as you can) and if you have buggy apps with memory leaks in them, it will take longer for the phone to run out of memory.

If your phone is running slow, reboot it, figure out if you have an app running that is bogging you down or reload the OS altogether... but don't think that shrinking your OS and removing as many apps as possible to boot up with 45 mb compared to 27 mb is going to make your phone any faster.
    06-17-10 01:53 PM
    I didn't do it to make it faster. I did it to create more app memory. And also to avoid the dreaded 'hourglass of death'.....but then again that speeds things up.
    06-17-10 02:06 PM
    Well if you are running apps with low app memory phone will drag and you get the old hour glass spinning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 02:07 PM
    So, I ended up deleting a bunch of apps that I thought I had already deleted, and deleted the theme I was using (mi phone), and it's like new again! Thanks again for all the info!
    06-18-10 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD