I had hoped it would speed up since it seems like most are saying it works much faster after the update, but alas, it's still not very fast. I've noticed that sometimes it will be super fast but then it slows back down again. I've been testing it around the house and I'm getting between 4-5 bars on the signal.

Just wondering if anyone else is having any troubles? Or if anyone's got any suggestions?

I've got my "Mobile Network" settings as follows: Data Services: On, Network Selection Mode: Automatic, Network Technology: 1XEV (BTW, I am getting 1XEV showing on my home screen at all times).
    I'm using the Blackberry mode for the Browser window with "Support Javascript" turned off.

Thx
    Last edited by CFD323; 12-19-08 at 04:31 PM.
    12-19-08 04:25 PM
    4-5 bars and javascript turned off you should be ripping through the web.
    12-19-08 04:35 PM
    Yeah I know, but it's not happening!
    12-19-08 04:40 PM
    whats running in the background?
    12-19-08 04:43 PM
    I have the same problem. I'm gonna wait it out for a few days before I do anything hasty.
    12-19-08 04:49 PM
    phone, BBM, Home Screen, Messages, Browser are the only things open. I ALWAYS close out programs before exiting. I'm stumped and it's really ticking me off!
    12-19-08 04:55 PM
    what sites are you trying to access? i'll give em a shot and see how fast/slow they load
    12-19-08 04:55 PM
    I REALLY like the phone but my 30 day trial is up on Sunday and I'm seriously considering returning it if I can't get the internet to speed up. I'm coming from a T-Mobile Curve that is faster on EDGE than Verizon's "famous" 3g network...

I've called Verizon Tech Support and they seem to beat around the bush about it; almost as if they know about the problem but don't know how to fix it, or maybe that they just don't know how to fix it.
    12-19-08 04:56 PM
    what sites are you trying to access? i'll give em a shot and see how fast/slow they load
    I've got an ESPN launcher app and it loads pretty quick most of the time.

I also use the Crackberry launcher which is decent most of the time.

I've been testing/comparing speeds between my Curve and Storm using the following sites:
    Chicago news, weather, sports, traffic and video from cbs2chicago.com
    The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia(clicked on multiple links on this website.)
    CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    ESPN NHL Team Schedule
    eBay: Mobile
    www.mypublisher.com
    Chicago Fire Department Signatures

Basically just going thru my bookmarks. I had read in a post in 1 of the .83 CrackBerry threads that people said when their webpages are loading, it would load a little at a time. Mine shows a white page (with the load progress bar at the bottom) and it stays a white screen until the entire page loads. Not sure if that helps or not.

I originally was running .75 (slow as well with internet speed) and I updated to .83 via DM. The browser speed sucked so I went back and wiped the .83 off and then reinstalled it again. No change in speed...
    Last edited by CFD323; 12-19-08 at 05:35 PM.
    12-19-08 05:04 PM
    I have the same problem. I'm gonna wait it out for a few days before I do anything hasty.
    Was your browser slow with .75 as well as .83?
    12-19-08 05:05 PM
    opera mini loads web pages almost instantly
    12-19-08 05:14 PM
    You should use mobile friendly sites whenever possible. That said, it's only going to be so fast. It's not a computer. And Rev A is only so fast.
    12-19-08 05:19 PM
    those sites look pretty heavy so i understand why they're loading slowly
    12-19-08 05:25 PM
    Was your browser slow with .75 as well as .83?
    I was running .76 and it was loading pretty decent.
    12-19-08 05:27 PM
    those sites look pretty heavy so i understand why they're loading slowly
    I don't know, maybe I'm expecting too much. I understand if those particular sites are gonna be slow to begin with...but if that's the case, shouldn't my 3G Storm still load them faster than my TMobile Curve on EDGE?

Now I was walking through my house trying the web and noticed that when I happened to stand in a certain spot, the browser speed picked WAY up! But when I backed out of the browser, I was only showing 3 bars of signal strength. When I use the phone everywhere else in my house, I'm getting 4-5 bars and the internet is slooow.
    12-19-08 05:31 PM
    I noticed no difference with the .83 os update. For instance, this site loads so slow, like a full minute or more. Is that considered fast, because my worst dial up was better than this.

I really want it to work, and I don't expect broadband speed, but this is hardly worth the data plan to me. And yes, I do use the mobile version of the sites.

I have nothing to gain or loose by exaggeration so please don't label me as such. I just want to tweak my storm so I feel like it's worth using for the internet..
    Last edited by gordohigh; 12-19-08 at 06:10 PM.
    12-19-08 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD