will the verizon version be able to be used for tmobile ???? It looks like it supports it ?
    Thanks

P.S. - Just saw a verizon storm commercial during the chargers , pats game.
    Last edited by woodyou; 10-12-08 at 08:32 PM.
    10-12-08 08:29 PM
    Nope. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and Tmo is GSM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 08:52 PM

Actually, it will. The Storm is a hybrid device with quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE. SO it will work, just not with that new funky AWS 3G. The question is the ease of unlockability. You may or may not be able to just slip in your TMOB SIM.
    10-12-08 08:55 PM

Yeah but the storm supports all frequencies ?? GSM/CDMA
    10-12-08 09:07 PM
    Yeah but the storm supports all frequencies ?? GSM/CDMA
    Not all. It supports quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE+ 2100 mHz HSPA (Europe)+ 800/1900 mHz CDMA.
    10-12-08 09:10 PM
    Actually, it will. The Storm is a hybrid device with quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE. SO it will work, just not with that new funky AWS 3G. The question is the ease of unlockability. You may or may not be able to just slip in your TMOB SIM.
    Exactly, you are completely right. But, I don't think it's going to be unlockable.
    10-12-08 09:10 PM
    Anyway, Doesn't Tmo use GSM/GPRS 1900 MHz frequency? So it would not be compatible.
    10-12-08 09:18 PM
    Anyway, Doesn't Tmo use GSM/GPRS 1900 MHz frequency? So it would not be compatible.
    That's part of QUAD-band.
    10-12-08 09:20 PM
    Reuvy is correct. Technically it will work, but it just depends on what VZW does with those bands. Your best bet is the 9500 instead of the 9530. Or you can just switch to Verizon.
    10-12-08 09:23 PM
    thanks Crucial but Ill just try to get the 9500 in that case. Switching to verizon not happening. Thanks for letting me know everyone!
    10-12-08 09:46 PM
    Reuvy is correct. Technically it will work, but it just depends on what VZW does with those bands. Your best bet is the 9500 instead of the 9530. Or you can just switch to Verizon.
    I learn a lot here on CB!!! So I have a question: What is the purpose of exclusivity if you can (maybe) unlock it and use it with other carriers?
    Thanks!
    10-12-08 09:53 PM
    I learn a lot here on CB!!! So I have a question: What is the purpose of exclusivity if you can (maybe) unlock it and use it with other carriers?
    Thanks!
    Because you will not get 3G at all in the States with another carrier. Plus, it will be retail in that case, and they'll still make some money.
    10-12-08 09:57 PM
    thanks Crucial but Ill just try to get the 9500 in that case. Switching to verizon not happening. Thanks for letting me know everyone!
    Or you might can wait for the AT&T version.
    10-12-08 09:58 PM
    Or you might can wait for the AT&T version.
    How do you know there will be an AT&T version? And with what's currently going on with the Bold, I doubt RIM/AT&T relations are that great. Also, it makes no sense for RIM to include WiFi in a version for AT&T but not for Vodafone, which has a much larger customer base.
    10-12-08 10:01 PM
    How do you know there will be an AT&T version? And with what's currently going on with the Bold, I doubt RIM/AT&T relations are that great. Also, it makes no sense for RIM to include WiFi in a version for AT&T but not for Vodafone, which has a much larger customer base.
    Say what you want, reason it whatever way you want, speculate however you want. Makes no difference to me. I will say there is a valid reason that triband was left off the 9500.

Edit: It's amazing to think you guys think VZW & Voda should or could be the only carriers with this device.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 10-12-08 at 10:08 PM.
    10-12-08 10:05 PM
    Say what you want, reason it whatever way you want, speculate however you want. Makes no difference to me. I will say there is a valid reason that triband was left off the 9500.

Edit: It's amazing to think you guys think VZW & Voda should or could be the only carriers with this device.
    AT&T having the device is fine with me, as long as it's not for a while, and not with WiFi.
    10-12-08 10:12 PM
    Really? The iPhone looks like it's going to stay cozy with AT&T for at least a few more years (I'm only guessing of course) and I've seen no grumblings about a VZW Bold (still guessing).

In general, I figure you're correct, but I think this rollout with VZW/Voda, being a first for them, if they can keep the sales up, RIM has no reason (or opportunity) to roll out one for T-Mobile, AT&T or Rogers in North America or T-Mobile, Orange or O2 across the way in Europe.
    10-12-08 10:24 PM
    I played with the Google Phone in the tmo store and lets just say, Verizon needs to get on the ball and get real working units to stores ASAP. Lets just say the Google phone was REALLY tempting. I need to get my hands on a Storm now.
    10-12-08 11:09 PM
    there is a valid reason that triband was left off the 9500..
    When you say triband, are you referring to the CDMA bandwidths?
    10-12-08 11:29 PM
    When you say triband, are you referring to the CDMA bandwidths?
    Nope. That's for HSPA.
    10-12-08 11:34 PM
    So, it would hopefully support some next generation technology. WIMAX?!
    10-12-08 11:53 PM
    So, it would hopefully support some next generation technology. WIMAX?!
    Nope. Only Sprint has WiMax and not on phones yet. There are also fewer markets than even T-Mobile 3G.
    10-13-08 12:06 AM
    Lol, well, I would love to drag even more intriguing information out of you, but I'm too exhausted. I just hope that one version of the storm will support a 3G that will work with T MO, which will hopefully be where I land.
    10-13-08 12:22 AM
    Lol, well, I would love to drag even more intriguing information out of you, but I'm too exhausted. I just hope that one version of the storm will support a 3G that will work with T MO, which will hopefully be where I land.
    It's not going to happen unless RIM makes a Storm specifically for T-Mobile. And I wouldn't go with T-Mobile unless you live in a Metro area and don't travel to the boonies much.
    10-13-08 12:23 AM
    It's not going to happen unless RIM makes a Storm specifically for T-Mobile. And I wouldn't go with T-Mobile unless you live in a Metro area and don't travel to the boonies much.
    Funny thing is I live in a rural area and rarely go anywhere metro, and Tmo works infinitely better than ATT, and on par with Sprint...
    10-13-08 12:30 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD