Hey all you storm enthusiasts out there... I'm close to the time for my NE2 with Verizon, and was wondering what the state of the Storm is:

How usable, how buggy, worth jumping on the storm band-wagon or wait for more improvements?
    01-04-09 12:44 PM
    it's a great phone. i'd get it 100000 times over. bugs are minor IMO and updates are being pushed (leaked) out frequently enough where you dont need to worry to be honest...

usability = great
    buggy = some minor bugs, nothing major on my storm atleast
    jumping the band wagon = why not? thats why its a bandwagon

hope this helps.
    01-04-09 12:47 PM
    The phone is an extremely safe investment. For a device that has had this much hype and holds so much potential, it only makes sense that it would take time for the software to release that will push it to it's full potential.

As of now, the phone is an extremely safe investment as far as I'm concerned. The biggest risk is testing out leaked or unofficial OS versions. I say jump in because you won't regret it and once the device has had a few more months under it's belt with many more software updates, it won't be very long before the more premature assessments of the phone are proven to be nothing more than overreaction.

I agree with fuller.
    01-04-09 12:50 PM
    HMMMMMM
    i suggest you go to the rant and rave forum make yourself comfortable and read both sides of the equation
    DO NOT just believe the standard my storm is great nonsense
    just like there are extreme views on the other side of the equation you should discard
    there are people on this forum who are on their 5th and 6th returned storm..then we have people saying their device is perfect
    you decide what you want to believe or not
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-04-09 at 01:11 PM.
    01-04-09 01:01 PM
    Agreed with both comments. Its def a good buy. I love mine. Very user friendly .. Overall its the best phone I ever owned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 01:01 PM
    The Storm is one of those things that you just need to try to decide whether it's going to work for you or not. If I would have listened to all the reviews on it, I probably wouldn't have boughten it. But I did, and I love it. I have yet to have any serious issues with mine.
    I handle it the same way I handle movie reviews - I enjoy reading opinions on them, but I'm still going to go see it even if they say it sucks. I may see things differently.
    Give it a try. You might be surprised.
    01-04-09 01:15 PM
    HMMMMMM
    i suggest you go to the rant and rave forum make yourself comfortable and read both sides of the equation
    just like there are extreme views on the other side of the equation you should discard
    there are people on this forum who are on their 5th and 6th returned storm..then we have people saying their device is perfect
    Excellent advice.
    Additionally, One has to use some common sense. It is a first generation device that has been out less than 6 weeks� how would expect it not to be buggy.
    01-04-09 01:18 PM
    I have had zero problems with the hardware. The software is a bit buggy in spots. Most of my complaints after the first official update are about the browser speed. Everthing else works well for me including the camera, syncing with iTunes (BlackBerry Media Synch), syncing with Outlook and it is perhaps the best cell phone I have had.

Verizon support so far has been good and the few times I have spoken with Blackberry about issues, I was quite impressed with their support people.

BLACKBERRY NEEDS TO CLEAN UP THE BROWSER. IT IS SLOW AND BUGGY.

I am amazed at all the problems on these forums we have been seeing, but I have not had many problems.

I have a Canadian phone that I purchased on Nov 29 at Best Buy.

My wife has an iPhone. She has an early first generation model. Another friend recently purchased the newer version. iPhones are nice, but they have had all sorts of issues as well. I can't wait to see what happens when all the iPhone batteries start to die off.

I hope we see more applications soon.

If you like Verizon coverage, I would keep it.
    01-04-09 01:39 PM
    Let me tell you that I've been in IT for nearly 15 years and during those years I've purchased, tested and deployed a lot of different software and hardware products. Millions of dollars worth. As far as the Storm is concerend I have would definetly rank it in the top 5 of the buggiest products I've ever used. It's blantantly obvious that RIM/Verizon rushed an unfinished product out in order to capatilize on the holiday sales. It's very dissapointing that a lot of people on this site accept this without complaint. Yes a lot of new 1st generation products will have bugs trust me I know as well as anyone but many of the ones affecting this device are glaring and in my opinion unacceptable. RIM/Verizon should be embarrassed. Will the device get better, absolutely, there is too much invested in it for it to fail. In time all of the current issues will be forgotten.
    01-04-09 01:40 PM
    The people that think this is a great phone are so blinded by RIM, they would put dog **** to their ear and say it smells minty fresh.

The phone is crap and no software update will fix it. It needs all new hardware, end of story. Tired of people defending the phone like it actually works properly. Ive never seen a phone have so many problems that were related to hardware. Software fixes would be expected... but screen issues out of the box? Give me a break.
    01-04-09 01:42 PM
    The people that think this is a great phone are so blinded by RIM, they would put dog **** to their ear and say it smells minty fresh.

The phone is crap and no software update will fix it. It needs all new hardware, end of story. Tired of people defending the phone like it actually works properly. Ive never seen a phone have so many problems that were related to hardware. Software fixes would be expected... but screen issues out of the box? Give me a break.

The fact you think it's crap doesn't actually mean it's crap.
    Get real. Your opinion is obviously biased. Sorry you've had such bad luck, but I seriously doubt the rest of us our lying out of our asses.
    Some of us choose to defend it because it DOES work properly for us.
    01-04-09 01:46 PM
    wait for macworld announcement this week

the next iphone might be worth switching for IMO
    01-04-09 01:48 PM
    Get real. Your opinion is obviously biased. Sorry you've had such bad luck, but I seriously doubt the rest of us our lying out of our asses.
    all the people that think it's crap cannot be making it up
    it amazes me that some storm users refuse to accept that maybe just maybe your device is not the norm
    people exchanging their phones 5 and 6 times means what? they are stupid and the phone is perfect because you are happy with it?
    so all the people that paid good money for a storm and decided it is not worth it are biased, and you, one of the storm users claiming perfection is somehow not biased?
    i have never owned a perfect phone present phone included
    so forgive me if most people dont believe the "my storm is perfect" answer to every post complaining about the storm
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-04-09 at 02:03 PM.
    01-04-09 01:59 PM
    I never claimed it was perfect, and you completely missed my point.
    NOT EVERYONE IS HAVING PROBLEMS!
    A group of people having some problems doesn't mean the phone is just crap when others can use it without any problems.
    It depends on the phone. It depends on the person. And one person saying they think its a bad phone does not mean the rest of us are blissfully ignorant.

This phone goes one way or another. Personally I think it depends on what you're used to or what you're using it for. So just going around and telling everyone it's a POS and not to buy it is completely unhelpful. There's a difference between offering a helpful opinion and sharing an opinion you should just keep to yourself.
    01-04-09 02:05 PM
    My screen is very nice to type on.
    The internet is nicely responsive.

But:
    My Storm reboots once or twice a day, despite being the latest OS Verizon offers.
    My Storm crashes once or twice a day.
    My battery seems to last about 12 hours tops despite me closing every app I'm not using.

It may go back, I don't know.
    01-04-09 02:08 PM
    Look at it like this. It is just a phone. AT the very most you pay full price it is $500 dollars. At longest you sign a two year contract. It isn't like a major life desicion for people to make all these complaints like it is purchasing a house or car. It is just a phone people not major operation. If you don't like it just return the phone. You dont have to get on here and convience yourself you made the right decision to take it back. I haven't had any problems with my phone at ALL!!! I think it is a good phone. I say it is worth getting.
    01-04-09 02:09 PM
    Likewise, the fact that you think it isn't crap doesn't mean it actually isn't crap.

It is what your opinion is. That's all that matters.
    And, from what I see here, many, many people defend it as not crap because they assume their issues will get fixed. Meanwhile there are fast-evolving reports that perfectly useful screens are getting worse with age (with that age being 2 weeks.)

The jury is still out, which likely means this phone is not a great one. Great phones do not have these issues. At best it's a good one.
    01-04-09 02:10 PM
    HMMMMMM
    I'm more inclined to think that situations that involve someone being on their 5th or 6th device are representative of an issue that goes beyond the device itself.
    01-04-09 02:12 PM
    A group of people having some problems doesn't mean the phone is just crap when others can use it without any problems.
    It depends on the phone. It depends on the person. And one person saying they think its a bad phone does not mean the rest of us are blissfully ignorant.

This phone goes one way or another. Personally I think it depends on what you're used to or what you're using it for. So just going around and telling everyone it's a POS and not to buy it is completely unhelpful. There's a difference between offering a helpful opinion and sharing an opinion you should just keep to yourself.
    at what point did i say not to buy it?
    IMHO its a POS but i dont have to use it so discount my opinion based on that if you lilke
    i get it i should only voice my opinion when it agrees with you...yup i get it
    i told the OP to read and form his own opinion...what part of that dont you agree with?
    explain to me how oh "my storm is perfect and i dont understand why people think it stinks" is helpfull

I'm more inclined to think that situations that involve someone being on their 5th or 6th device are representative of an issue that goes beyond the device itself.
    the above posting by optimus is why some of you get flamed for your "my storm is perfect" posts
    now he insinuates that the user is at fault in those cases
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-04-09 at 02:16 PM.
    01-04-09 02:13 PM
    at what point did i say not to buy it?
    IMHO its a POS but i dont have to use it so discount my opinion based on that if you lilke
    i get it i should only voice my opinion when it agrees with you...yup i get it
    i told the OP to read and form his own opinion...what part of that dont you agree with?
    explain to me how oh "my storm is perfect and i dont understand why people think it stinks" is helpfull
    First off, I never once used your name, which means I'm talking about people in general.
    But again you are missing the point and continuing to try and explain things is obviously pointless.
    01-04-09 02:15 PM
    Let me tell you that I've been in IT for nearly 15 years and during those years I've purchased, tested and deployed a lot of different software and hardware products. Millions of dollars worth. As far as the Storm is concerend I have would definetly rank it in the top 5 of the buggiest products I've ever used. It's blantantly obvious that RIM/Verizon rushed an unfinished product out in order to capatilize on the holiday sales. It's very dissapointing that a lot of people on this site accept this without complaint. Yes a lot of new 1st generation products will have bugs trust me I know as well as anyone but many of the ones affecting this device are glaring and in my opinion unacceptable. RIM/Verizon should be embarrassed. Will the device get better, absolutely, there is too much invested in it for it to fail. In time all of the current issues will be forgotten.
    Mine is great. What is in the top 5(of YOUR) buggiest products? iPhone better be in that list.
    01-04-09 02:18 PM
    First off, I never once used your name, which means I'm talking about people in general.
    But again you are missing the point and continuing to try and explain things is obviously pointless.
    of course its pointless.....
    i get that YOU love your storm and think its a great device without issues
    all the people having problems with theirs and returning multiple devices cannot just be brushed under the carpet and called stupid because they got faulty devices and are not happy with the storm
    i'm also being general so dont go having a coronary
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-04-09 at 02:24 PM.
    01-04-09 02:20 PM
    I have had a great experience.

I used to get an occasional freeze/crash, but with 85 I haven't had any.

I had the random reboot thing happen once...

My battery life is great. OS lag is almost entirely gone(it was annoying with older OS versions).

i just LOVE this phone. It is everything I could want.
    01-04-09 02:22 PM
    of course its pointless.....
    i get that YOU love your storm and think its a great device without issues
    all the people having problems with theirs and returning multiple devices cannot just be brushed under the carpet and called stupid because they got faulty devices and are not happy with the storm

Okay, seriously.

I didn't say no one should share a negative experience with their Storm. My point was there's a DIFFERENCE in saying 'oh it's **** don't buy it' and actually explaining why you think so or what kind of problems you had with it.
    Just going around and flaming everyone that says something positive about it or asks questions about it is not helpful.
    And yes, I agree, just because some of us haven't had any problems with it doesn't mean problems don't exist. They obviously do for some people. But the fact some of us have yet to experience anything bad with the phone doesn't mean we're stupid or choose not to admit it has problems.
    Negative opinions are just as helpful as postive ones. I just don't see how some people replying to everyone's post by saying the phone just simply sucks is helpful. I don't know how else to explain it.
    01-04-09 02:30 PM

fair enough
    i still dont see where i said not to buy it
    sad to say yes i think it is a POS
    IMHO the device wasnt ready to be released but what do i know?
    01-04-09 02:42 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD