Anyone know how to get it into Standby, holding the lock button just locks it and the mute button doesn't do it either.
    11-21-08 03:07 PM
    that damn online pdf manual link is around here somewhere, but I haven't heard of anything yet....
    11-21-08 03:10 PM
    i would like to know as well.
    11-21-08 11:17 PM
    Power Off on the home screen. Press the End key to power up. In the manual.
    11-21-08 11:18 PM
    Read the manual, that's what it's there for.
    11-21-08 11:23 PM
    can you still receive calls and emails after you power off?
    11-22-08 12:55 AM
    Read the manual, that's what it's there for.
    Did read the manual (pdf) and there is no mention of it. Why don't you show us where it is jackass.
    11-22-08 09:44 PM
    I read in the forums on the blackberry.com site that you have to hold the Mute button for 3 seconds. Won't have my Storm until Tuesday so I can't test. Can someone press the Mute key for 3-5 seconds & see if it works. I know you tried pushing it DurangoJim, just wonder if it needs to be pressed longer. On my Curve it's anything longer than 2 beeps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 04:11 AM
    I read in the forums on the blackberry.com site that you have to hold the Mute button for 3 seconds. Won't have my Storm until Tuesday so I can't test. Can someone press the Mute key for 3-5 seconds & see if it works. I know you tried pushing it DurangoJim, just wonder if it needs to be pressed longer. On my Curve it's anything longer than 2 beeps.

Nope. No joy.
    11-23-08 04:15 AM
    can you still receive calls and emails after you power off?
    Nope. I tried. There must be another way.
    11-23-08 05:51 AM
    Ae you wanting to know how to manually shut off the screen? If so remember the touch screen only responds to your actual touch it will shut off automatically.

11-23-08 06:01 AM
    Press and hold the button on the top of the phone and it goes into Standby mode. The same button during a call mutes the mic.

BlackBerry is for the 8310 but the 8330 functions just the same.
    11-23-08 06:01 AM
    If you press and hold the lock button, it just locks the screen, but it still lights up everytime a button is pushed to say it's locked..

If you push and hold the other top button (mute), for a couple secs, it activates the vibrate only mode...

looks like an os upgrade or a developer is needed..
    11-23-08 06:30 AM
    Press and hold the button on the top of the phone and it goes into Standby mode. The same button during a call mutes the mic.

BlackBerry is for the 8310 but the 8330 functions just the same.
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. I'm looking for the same function as the curve.

11-23-08 06:32 AM
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. I'm looking for the same function as the curve.

This should work. Have you tried a battery pull? That should fix it.
    11-23-08 06:59 AM
    If you press and hold the lock button, it just locks the screen, but it still lights up everytime a button is pushed to say it's locked..

If you push and hold the other top button (mute), for a couple secs, it activates the vibrate only mode...

looks like an os upgrade or a developer is needed..
    I've been trying to figure out how to put it in standby also without turning the actual phone off. I can't believe a bug this obvious would get by BB & VZW.
    11-23-08 07:00 AM
    if you power off you wont receieve calls txts emails etc until you power back up right?
    11-23-08 07:45 AM
    I've been trying to figure out how to put it in standby also without turning the actual phone off. I can't believe a bug this obvious would get by BB & VZW.
    It's not a bug, it's an oversight.... And yes it is friggin needed...

BTW softreset, the app, not the key combo, (another oversight ), does work on Storms..

if you power off you wont receieve calls txts emails etc until you power back up right?
    No
    11-23-08 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD