Sorry if this is addressed somewhere else in this forum. I have been through the many threads on this topic and don't feel the answer has been provided. I'm am looking forward to the solution to this. First the details.

Storm 9530 - Verizon
    v4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.181) released by RIM
    BIS - Gmail and Yahoo mail
    Made in Canada

My Story, i purchased the storm pretty close to launch date filled with anticipation, hoping the phone from verizon would be a worthy competitor to the iphone frenzy. I had to listen to my brother and b-in law for 12 months talking about how great the iphone was so, i got my phone and you all know what we went through for the past 8+ months. I finally installed 148 with the hope all would be better. Needless to say, almost, almost all of it was: faster, easier, app store, network, battery life, etc all worked great on the upgraded OS. My only issue as you know has and still is memory.

I understand the difference between my 8GB external, 1GB internal and 128M application memory. My problem is all around the 128MB memory. I read in this post where people have 50+MB free memory at startup then hover around that level or slightly below from then and things are great. Mine currently starts up with about 20MB of free application space, loses 40% in the first 30 minutes and in short order wonks around at 0 until i restart the phone. Here are my questions:

I understand if an application is executing or hanging around in the background, it will take up space. I am careful to "exit" these completely and continually check to see whats running. I may recover 1-2MB temporarily but starts all over again from there. If applications are "installed" do they take up the 128MB? why? is there a utility out there where i can see how the 128MB is allocated? what apps, working space, temp space, etc?

I have installed both MeterBerry 14.5 and MemoryUp Pro. MeterBerry reflects what i see when i check options==>memory regarding usage and what's left( 128MB total and Free. MemoryPro does not, says i have 63+MB available to the JVM and utilize 40% of the rest, never shows 0 even when the other 2 do? why would that be?

I am in the process of taking the phone back to base 148 with no apps to see what that does and will update as soon as i do. i just wanted to check to see if i'm missing something in this process. I can't beleive the OS limits the number of apps you can have on your phone and more severely limits how many you can have running (within limits, i understand), weather, email, news and a game or 2 is too much?

thanks for the patience, sorry if i've missed the answer somewhere in the forum.
    Last edited by jspet; 07-04-09 at 03:15 PM. Reason: didnt finish
    07-04-09 02:57 PM
    Most likely the memory leak is due to an application. I would wipe the device and reinstall the OS without restoring the data. Use the device for a little bit. Verify that you have no memory leaks. Then restore the data one database at a time. Contracts, SMS, Messages... etc. Between each restore, use the device for a bit and verify you have no memory leaks. After that, restore one application at a time; again using the device for a bit. If you discover a memory leak, the most likely culprit was the last thing you restored.

If you use a theme, use the device for a few days with the theme without rebooting the device; you might find that the memory levels off then becomes stable. Remember to always do a battery pull after installing a theme.

I doubt that the OS is the culprit.
    Last edited by brianf21; 07-04-09 at 03:16 PM.
    07-04-09 03:11 PM
    Also, let us know what apps and themes you normally run.
    07-04-09 03:30 PM
    find thread called "resolved memory leak" i am sick of searching and posting it for everyone.
    07-04-09 03:59 PM
    find thread called "resolved memory leak" i am sick of searching and posting it for everyone.
    Just need to post it in your sig, that way you can refer to your sig
    07-04-09 04:58 PM
    i cant, the mods yelled at me for to many lines in my sig
    07-04-09 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD