/soapbox on

Am I bitter that I stood in line in windy 30 degree weather? Sure because it could have been prevented for myself, and everyone behind me. As in the email I posted yesterday, the Sr. Sales Rep said they received 20 and would be opening at 8 AM.

I arrived and about a quarter till the guy comes out and takes names and numbers and hands out cards with numbers on them. What's mine? 20.

An hour later I'm still standing outside, but at this point I'm at the door (and there's another two dozen people behind me) and they come out to say that they are out and will be taking orders "we'll even offer free shipping!" to be shipped next week.

Hey A-hole, I can get free shipping by purchasing online/telesales but instead you act as though you're giving me some kind of "deal". Right.

/soapbox off

VZW could have

-been courteous enough to count how many devices they have, and then to the people in line ask them how many they are purchasing and immediately notify people behind those that they could order in store by remaining in line, but would not get a phone today

-could have done a Monday release, that way if you did have shortages at least people didn't have to wait during the weekend to receive the phone, instead they would receive it during the week.

-could have chosen a better time to release OTHER than the week prior to Thanksgiving in which people won't even be available at their home address during the week in some cases. I guess VZW is hoping for mass interested in time for Black Friday and I'm willing to bet they won't have ANY shortages come Black Friday

Seems to be one big marketing scheme IMO.

Had to get that off my chest...
    11-21-08 09:39 AM
    Yeah they did the same at the store I stopped by good thing it's only 65 out. but I only waited 20mins.. They said they'd have 60 phones but obviously only had 20 if that
    11-21-08 09:41 AM
    I couldn't help but laugh at the pitiful situation at my store this morning. I was 8th in line and they handed out vouches for 5 phones. As I went inside I noticed that all the associates were wearing shirts that said, "Taking the world by Storm." My question is, how in the h**l do you take the world by storm when you only have 5 freakin' phones? A sad day indeed and I certainly don't expect Verizon to snag another major exclusive for a long time.

Like it has been said, this is Verizon's fault, 110 percent!
    11-21-08 09:50 AM
    My store said they had more than enough devices most likely. There were about 10 of us outside when they opened. I was first of course!! I even got to pop a balloon for a discount card that was inside of it!! I was very happy with how my store prepared for this morning. Went of without a hitch!
    11-21-08 09:58 AM
    The sales people at my store would not even say how many they had at the start of the day, but I heard it was only 10. Thanks to the unexpected snow in the Philadelphia area I didn't get to the store until 8:10. I waited one hour to order my phone, to be delivered tomorrow free of charge. REALLY BAD move by Verizon to have so few phones available. The warehouse that will be shipping out the phone is just 20 miles from where I live (and the store I was at).
    I am a loyal Verizon customer but they messed up BIG TIME!
    11-21-08 10:29 AM
    so verizon droped the ball because you chose to wait in line? or because they didnt have enough available so you can get one.
    11-21-08 10:32 AM
    What probably happened was people got more than one phone but only took one flyer. At the store I went to, they asked how many phones you are getting. I told them two and they gave me 2 flyers so they wouldn't short others. I guess some stores really messed up. Take that up with that stores management, not Verizon.
    11-21-08 10:39 AM
    I was switching to VZW from ATT and was told by most stores that they would hold one for me. I became pretty friendly with one SR Sales Rep in particular who took all of my information (SS#, address, plan wanted,ect.) Tuesday evening and was going to begin my account this morning. He even called me yesterday saying that I could come in anytime today and pick it up as he was going to hold one for me. I asked how many they were getting and he said 11. I emailed him last night and said that I had changed my mind after playing with a third demo unit yesterday.

Was it fair for him to hold it for me - not for others? Yes. He makes more commision off a new line of service than selling them as upgrades or full retail. Not saying that all stores were using these tactics but I'm sure many deserving current customers nationwide will not have a Storm today.
    11-21-08 10:39 AM
    In Chicago, it was 18 outside. I waited an hour and there was about 10 people in line when the store opened at 7. I was the first and it took them 2 hours to get the phone activated.
    11-21-08 10:41 AM
    Yeah, I'm glad I didn't line up too early. I got to the store half an hour after it opened and they were already well out of phones. Since I was already awake I got my order filled for overnight shipping there, but it was still a letdown.
    11-21-08 10:44 AM
    so verizon droped the ball because you chose to wait in line? or because they didnt have enough available so you can get one.
    Because I waited in line longer than I had to at this particular store (as I pointed out in the title, it varies from store to store).

So the store dropped the ball b/c VZW should have had a store initiative and procedure on how many would be received, and what the store should do once those units are sold.

Simple, really.
    11-21-08 10:52 AM
    well... i do agree verizon dropped the ball in my location. not on the phone or the launch. but on their service. MY GOD. seriously i was in the store almost as long as i waited outside. The store opened at 9 and i was there until 10:54. that is just unacceptable. I looked at the phone for maybe less than a minute and just wanted to get out of there so i went to make my purchase as quickly as my name came up on their electronic sign in crap. they offered to transfer all of my contacts with their hardware setup and i asked them if it would work fine even with my contacts coming off a windows mobile phone they said yes. so some guy took my phone away turned his back wouldnt look at me wouldnt speak to me and finally i just went to go sit down. i heard nothing until some woman walked up and was like oh hey we cant get your phone to connect to our system so we cant transfer your contacts. i didnt eve look at her i just said you could have told me that i dunno an hour ago...then took my **** and left. corporate will get an email. thats rediculas. I will say as i was leaving the woman said well we went thru all of the steps we could....and maybe she THINKS they did but they forgot one very important step....COMMUNICATING with your customer
    11-21-08 11:14 AM
    ok troll, nice response

maybe they dropped the ball because this is the supposed launch of their premier device and people showing up to the stores are basically being told "uhhhh we dont have em but i swear we know a guy who does and he'll send one to you!"
    11-21-08 11:15 AM
    I waited just the same in Boston and it was freeeezzzzingggg. I want to know where the guy who posted that "they will have stock; this is just a chance for free press coverage" is. and all those who said "yeah", "wow", "you should be in marketing"
    11-21-08 11:15 AM
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't work for VZW, but I feel for ya as a blackberry user. But, I just don't know why you guys bother going to the store anyway. hehehe Stay warm at home, buy it online -- it arrives within a couple of days.

(Of course, the site is crashing this morning, too. But, at least you'll be warm while you wait for the site to get going.)

Hang in there & enjoy your Storms.
    11-21-08 11:28 AM
    VZW computers were unable to get any phones online. I am told that the VZW network is malfunctioning because of the demand. All customers were held hostage if they wanted to get the phone They could not leave till computer processed the request. They were told that phone would not be held for them. Close to four hours later I left without a Storm. Very frustrating experience!!
    11-21-08 11:43 AM
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't work for VZW, but I feel for ya as a blackberry user. But, I just don't know why you guys bother going to the store anyway. hehehe Stay warm at home, buy it online -- it arrives within a couple of days.

(Of course, the site is crashing this morning, too. But, at least you'll be warm while you wait for the site to get going.)

Hang in there & enjoy your Storms.
    A lot of us are never available at home when FedEx delivers. I usually am out for work purposes from 9am to 8 or 9pm, and while I'm gone there's nobody at my place to accept deliveries. I'm fortunate enough to have Saturday FedEx service in my area, but a lot of other people don't and would still like to get their Storm promptly, hence they go to stores.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 11:45 AM
    Verizon really blew this launch.............Not sure if this was happening at every store, but at the store I was just at (Natick, MA) the Verizon computers couldn't handle the volume and it was literally taking over an hour for every sales rep to process each sale as all their PC's were just locked up. That wasn't the total wait time. That was the time it took once you had your number called!! In 3 1/2 hours they were only able to completely process about 22 people and there must have been about a dozen reps working. I finally spoke with the manager and gave her my info as I couldn't wait around any more. She at least said she would process my order when my number came up and would call me to come pick up my phone. The good thing was they had 120 phones at this location. I got there at 7:30 (1/2 hour before opening) and they were handing out numbers. I got 33. Like I said I waited for 3 1/2 hours (my number was next to be called) but I couldn't wait any more as even if I got in front of a sales rep it was at least going to be another 1-1 1/2 hours to complete the sale due to the computer issues. You would have thought Verizon would have anticipated the volume and been prepared better. I'll wait and see if I ever get a call from the manager. If not might be headed over to AT&T for a Bold or an iPhone (my Verizon contract is currently expired).
    11-21-08 11:51 AM
    A lot of us are never available at home when FedEx delivers. I usually am out for work purposes from 9am to 8 or 9pm, and while I'm gone there's nobody at my place to accept deliveries. I'm fortunate enough to have Saturday FedEx service in my area, but a lot of other people don't and would still like to get their Storm promptly, hence they go to stores.

Ah, good point. I usually have the shipment go to wherever I'm working that week.

I know that Fedex holds packages at the local office, if requested. But, that's just the same as going to the VZW store.
    11-21-08 12:06 PM
    All systems down and unresponsive... there are 5 (FIVE) people standing at the door to greet you... then they tell you systems are down and will be about 2 to 3 hours if you wait... No more storms.

and this was the same for 3 other stores in my area.. systems down/unresponsive.
    11-21-08 12:16 PM
    I how in the h**l do you take the world by storm when you only have 5 freakin' phones?
    I couldnt agree more.... what is up with that Verizon...... what in the world were you thinking about...... why stock the stores with such embarassing quantities for this highly anticipated launch ???? Me thinks that Ivan Seidenburg has finally lost it.
    11-21-08 12:21 PM
    Verizon really blew this launch.............Not sure if this was happening at every store, but at the store I was just at (Natick, MA) the Verizon computers couldn't handle the volume and it was literally taking over an hour for every sales rep to process each sale as all their PC's were just locked up. That wasn't the total wait time. That was the time it took once you had your number called!! In 3 1/2 hours they were only able to completely process about 22 people and there must have been about a dozen reps working. I finally spoke with the manager and gave her my info as I couldn't wait around any more. She at least said she would process my order when my number came up and would call me to come pick up my phone. The good thing was they had 120 phones at this location. I got there at 7:30 (1/2 hour before opening) and they were handing out numbers. I got 33. Like I said I waited for 3 1/2 hours (my number was next to be called) but I couldn't wait any more as even if I got in front of a sales rep it was at least going to be another 1-1 1/2 hours to complete the sale due to the computer issues. You would have thought Verizon would have anticipated the volume and been prepared better. I'll wait and see if I ever get a call from the manager. If not might be headed over to AT&T for a Bold or an iPhone (my Verizon contract is currently expired).
    Wow, you are fortunate that you are not bound! Be very sure that they know why you are leaving. I know you are only one account and they just got a lot of new ones, but it matters.

11-21-08 12:25 PM
    I guess I was lucky, arrived at 7am, store open at 8, was 4th in line and was out the door by 8:45 including transferring my numbers from my old phone and setting up my email which took 10 minutes.
    11-21-08 12:45 PM
    I guess I was lucky, arrived at 7am, store open at 8, was 4th in line and was out the door by 8:45 including transferring my numbers from my old phone and setting up my email which took 10 minutes.
    Just depends where you live. I had 10 in stock and no one waiting. Almost 5 hours after opening and I've only sold 1, I have 9 sitting right here..
    11-21-08 12:49 PM
    as of right now, my Storm is still unactivated. Their systems are still down.
    11-21-08 01:18 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD