Ran a couple different images and see no noticeable difference. I used the golf ball close up as my background for each test. I did not see any color banding on either one (no more than on .75). But here is something weird. I don't notice a lot of differences between .75 and .122 outside of the "go" button for the browser, better camera, and more memory. It overall doesn't seem too much faster/quicker for me. I'm kind of baffled because I'm looking for the color banding and it doesn't even look dithered. Just normal like it was with .75.
    04-18-09 12:55 AM
    Go to media menu and I bet you see it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 01:05 AM
    I'm a creative director for a graphics company and with my trained eye, the color banding is very evident and quite annoying. I do not expect the normal, untrained eye, to see what I can. But, I will tell you, it is there.

Kind Regards
    04-18-09 01:06 AM
    thats awsome... not sure if i believe you lol
    04-18-09 01:09 AM
    CaptureIt...come on people if you see something like this lets see a pick or no dice
    04-18-09 01:10 AM
    Well, here's a picture of my media page on .122. Honestly, since changing my theme this is the only place I can see the banding. If anyone has .75 still please post your screen shot! My other Storm still has .75 and the stock theme, but it's in pieces right now...lol!

WOW, it looks REALLY bad after capturing it! Holy carp! It looks find on the screen itself...just a little gradient.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 04-18-09 at 01:31 AM. Reason: edit
    04-18-09 01:30 AM
    Ok, well I went and checked out my friend's .75 Storm. Checked the media page.....they are both the same. Can't upload right now but I'll tell you this much....I just went and looked at my files.....I still have the .75 radio file. I have no idea why....everything else appears to be .122..so I uploaded the .122 file in and lo and behold...I can now see this damn color banding. I work on Blender and Dreamweaver on a 25" widescreen HD monitor. I can tell the difference in pictures very well.
    04-18-09 02:00 AM
    Haha, how did you go and install .122 and still get stuck with the .75 radio? Thats actually pretty funny.
    04-18-09 02:47 AM
    The color banding isn't something that's intrinsic to the OS, per se - no matter what OS you're running, if you feed the Storm a high-quality image, there will be no color banding. The banding only occurs when you use a low-quality image file, and it seems that RIM started using lower-quality graphics for the background screens and icons about the same time the banding started showing up. Not sure why they made the switch, but it was probably to make the menus scroll faster and/or to reduce the size of the OS update package, especially for OTA updates if/when a particular version becomes official.
    04-18-09 02:49 AM
    I'm a creative director for a graphics company and with my trained eye, the color banding is very evident and quite annoying. I do not expect the normal, untrained eye, to see what I can. But, I will tell you, it is there.

Kind Regards
    Oooooooooo how professional sounding

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 03:54 AM
    what exactly is color banding?
    04-18-09 06:00 AM
    Its when you see bands in the colors. It is most evident in areas with gradients.
    04-18-09 06:13 AM
    Hit and Hold down the menu button so you see the apps running in the background banding is VERY evident in that shot!!!
    04-18-09 06:42 AM
    see i guess im just not that picky bc i can see the color banding, but it bothers me none! lol i guess we all have our different quips about our devices. lol
    04-18-09 06:46 AM
    what exactly is color banding?
    Open Media in Portrait mode, select Music and then close Music. The color banding will be very evident.
    04-18-09 07:23 AM
    And I thought that the curves/banding in the background of the media screen were supposed to be there and kind of cool.
    04-18-09 07:25 AM
    i agree almost 100 with the op. I to went from 75 to 122 and the color banding is not noticeable to me, maybe cause of the theme im running or something. Also the speed is almost the same except scrolling seems faster, again maybe cause the theme Im running. but I just dont get what so many people are talkng about and complaining about, (prolly never have gotten most of the stuff people complain about on this forum). Maybe Im just not as picky or maybe the people that post this stuff are extra picky, I dont know which one
    04-18-09 07:44 AM
    The color banding isn't something that's intrinsic to the OS, per se - no matter what OS you're running, if you feed the Storm a high-quality image, there will be no color banding. The banding only occurs when you use a low-quality image file, and it seems that RIM started using lower-quality graphics for the background screens and icons about the same time the banding started showing up. Not sure why they made the switch, but it was probably to make the menus scroll faster and/or to reduce the size of the OS update package, especially for OTA updates if/when a particular version becomes official.
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I have a few high quality photos that I use as backgrounds for my storm, and there is obvious color banding.
    04-18-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD