Got my second statement from Verizon, and they charged me $9.99 for VZ Navigator. I never signed up for that, and in fact I uninstalled it on day 1. I knew that they told me I'd get a free month of it, but I didn't expect them to start billing me for it after the first month. I thought I'd mention it here in case some aren't careful in looking at their statements. It was a quick and easy process to have it removed from my services on their website.
    02-05-09 07:33 AM
    yeah, when they were selling me the phone the salesman told me about the free month and I told him to take it off. I knew something crappy like that would happen. condolences.
    02-05-09 07:34 AM
    This is standard MO. I have to fight about one of the lines on my bill almost every month!
    02-05-09 07:58 AM
    if they give you a free month of something, you need to tell them to remove the service before the next billing cycle or they will automatically charge you for it. they consider you not saying anything about it an OK to keep billing you.
    02-05-09 08:01 AM
    Yeah seems crappy but they are good about crediting back. They charged me for my replacement because they didn't receive it! Whatever! I called back with tracking number and they researched and found it was signed for. They did credit my account I was just irritated
    I had to do their job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 08:16 AM
    Guy at the Verizon store tried to tell me the navigator was part of the "$40 data plan for blackberry." Thankfully Best Buy took care of me and told me I didn't have to buy that junk. Google Maps works just fine for my purposes.

02-05-09 09:05 AM
    Its sad that verizon has almost always given me issues with my bill, but its good that they always fix it.
    02-05-09 09:07 AM
    I almost puked when a salesman told ,me I had to pay over $199/month for my new Voyager Edition plan! I was like NO F'ing way!
    02-05-09 09:14 AM
    I've had a excellent time with billing since I've been on Verizon, rule of thumb that whenever you are given a "free" trial that upon end of said trial billing will begin. Either cancel the trial immediately or do your due diligence and cancel it the day before it expires.
    02-05-09 09:19 AM
    Got my second statement from Verizon, and they charged me $9.99 for VZ Navigator. I never signed up for that, and in fact I uninstalled it on day 1. I knew that they told me I'd get a free month of it, but I didn't expect them to start billing me for it after the first month. I thought I'd mention it here in case some aren't careful in looking at their statements. It was a quick and easy process to have it removed from my services on their website.
    Actually, you DID sign up for it and the first month was free. This is a common marketing approach used by many companies that offer services with recurring fees. It gives their customers an opportunity to try their services without having to pay for that trial. Customers generally are passive, especially happy customers

It wouldn't make sense to remove a service that a customer signed up for and is happy with unless they called back to keep it active. It is completely logical to only remove that service if the customer requests its cancelation.

There should be no question that that's how the free trial period works.

Customer ignorance does not equal deceptive practice.

I'm not saying you as the OP are saying VZW is being deceptive, but that's the direction this thread seems to be heading.

In any case, thank you for making others aware that they have to call CS to remove a service they no longer would like to use. Great tip for those who may not know already.
    02-05-09 09:37 AM
    Happened to me as well. They immediately removed it but I should have been informed about services I did not ask for.

02-05-09 10:38 AM
    it came with unllimted package that i got it get data,e-mail,web,text and calls for around 150.00
    02-05-09 10:45 AM
    my vzw salesman clearly explained the 1st month free and then a 9.99 charge every month after. but he did lie to me about how good the vzw navigator was. free apps are so much better. I cancelled my navigator the very next day!!
    02-05-09 11:38 AM
    I like vznav for the ability ti incorporate local search, weather, traffic and place messaging. All good stuff. Free apps never seem to reach the same level of quality and detail for nav purposes

02-05-09 12:50 PM
    Thats how most things are these days. If you get the free trial you must CANCEL the service or you will keep getting billed.
    02-05-09 01:15 PM
    Just a little FYI, uninstalling the APP will not cancel the monthly bill.
    02-05-09 01:23 PM
    I took the free trial and then called CS and told them that after the free trial is up I don't want a subscription to it. I also made them note the account to that effect as well so that I can get it refunded if they screw up and charge me...
    02-05-09 02:08 PM
    Just a little FYI, uninstalling the APP will not cancel the monthly bill.
    Was told exactly the opposite just yesterday when I called Verizon to contest a late fee. I paid my bill a week early, but the credit for a returned Storm (defective) hadn't appeared in their system, even though it was shown on my bill (don't know how that happens). They took care of it for me and even sent a followup email to confirm.
    02-05-09 02:19 PM
    I know a lot of people just hit "I agree" these days when it comes to installing apps, but did you read the End User License Agreement to the application?

I just scanned it briefly and it pretty clearly says that by installing the application you agree to have the $9.99 subscription fee added to your monthly bill.

Gotta read that fine print. It'll get ya everytime. =D
    02-05-09 02:32 PM
    unfortunately, just uninstalling the app after your 30 days doesn't cancel your membership, you have to call in and cancel, which is exactly why I don't do that __-day free trial...I always forget to cancel and get charged...
    02-05-09 02:49 PM
    Actually, you DID sign up for it and the first month was free. This is a common marketing approach used by many companies that offer services with recurring fees. It gives their customers an opportunity to try their services without having to pay for that trial. Customers generally are passive, especially happy customers.
    This certainly was not the case for me. The service was never mentioned to me by the salesman and the monthly charge was NOT specified on the receipt (I just looked at it again). I happened to be looking at my account online a couple of days after I bought the Storm and noticed this service. A call into Verizon confirmed what others said - first month free, $9.99 a month after that. I had to cancel it myself or I would have gotten billed for it. So while you may claim this is a common approach, it's a shady practice. How many people won't realize this and get hit with the $9.99? I know people who (stupidly) never even check their bill so wouldn't even know they were paying for a service. Verizon is simply preying on the naive and ignorant masses to make a few bucks.

It wouldn't make sense to remove a service that a customer signed up for and is happy with unless they called back to keep it active. It is completely logical to only remove that service if the customer requests its cancelation.

There should be no question that that's how the free trial period works.
    This is simply your opinion and in my experience most companies do not follow this practice. Download any trial version of software from Apple or Microsoft and you get to use it for a grace period. When that time is up, you can't use it any more until you make the concious decision to purchase it. Simple. Straightforward. Nothing sneaky about it.

Customer ignorance does not equal deceptive practice.
    Taking advantage of ignorant customers is not an especially constructive approach to long term customer satisfaction either.

I'm not saying you as the OP are saying VZW is being deceptive, but that's the direction this thread seems to be heading.
    The OP may not have said it but I will. Verizon is being completely deceptive here.

In any case, thank you for making others aware that they have to call CS to remove a service they no longer would like to use. Great tip for those who may not know already.
    I agree with this.
    02-05-09 02:49 PM
    This certainly was not the case for me. The service was never mentioned to me by the salesman and the monthly charge was NOT specified on the receipt (I just looked at it again). I happened to be looking at my account online a couple of days after I bought the Storm and noticed this service. A call into Verizon confirmed what others said - first month free, $9.99 a month after that. I had to cancel it myself or I would have gotten billed for it. So while you may claim this is a common approach, it's a shady practice. How many people won't realize this and get hit with the $9.99? I know people who (stupidly) never even check their bill so wouldn't even know they were paying for a service. Verizon is simply preying on the naive and ignorant masses to make a few bucks.
    Okay. I agree in your case that that was deceptive. I think the salesperson should run through all services attached to your account item by item. that obviously was not the case for you and something was slipped in there without your knowledge. I do not think that's the proper way to handle a sale. But I do not think VZW as a company would encourage this type of tactic. I cannot imagine a DM coming to a store, holding a sales meeting, and offering SPIFs to those salespeople who successfully boost sales by lying and deceiving their customers.

This is simply your opinion and in my experience most companies do not follow this practice. Download any trial version of software from Apple or Microsoft and you get to use it for a grace period. When that time is up, you can't use it any more until you make the concious decision to purchase it. Simple. Straightforward. Nothing sneaky about it.
    Yes, you are right. Some companies choose to suspend your use of their product until you actively contact them and subcribe to and pay for the full product.

But I am also right that a lot of companies that sell a service (as opposed to products or software) and charge recurring fees for your use of that service will often offer a free trial period and require you to actively cancel the service to avoid being charged. Consider cable and satellite television companies that offer free trial periods or reduced-cost packages for certain channels.

That is a common and successful marketing strategy to encourage customers to try out a service when they otherwise would not pay to do so. there is nothing wrong with this practice as long as the customer agreed to subscribe the service.

Again, your case is different because your salesperson did not inform you that he was signing you up for the service.

Taking advantage of ignorant customers is not an especially constructive approach to long term customer satisfaction either.
    Agreed. But in my scenario the customer was informed of the free trial period. The customer's failure to inform himself by definition makes him ignorant. In that case, the company is not taking advantage of anyone.

The OP may not have said it but I will. Verizon is being completely deceptive here.
    I don't think your case is the norm. I think you had a deceptive salesperson who is a representative of VZW. While I agree that VZW is responsible for its salespeople, I also know that there are unfortunately deceptive salespeople in all types of industries. Which is why I choose to be an informed customer by asking a lot of questions before committing to any type of major purchase.

I agree with this.
    woohoo. I knew I'd win you over eventually.

p.s. I just re-read the OP's post. He knew he was signing up for the free trial but did not feel it necessary to inform himself of the terms of that free trial. The OP's post fits my ignorant-customer scenario, and it as to that situation that I responded in my previous post.
    Last edited by bobaloo; 02-05-09 at 03:37 PM.
    02-05-09 03:23 PM
    If you cancel it immediately I think they'll prorate it. Same thing happened to me.

02-05-09 03:23 PM
    The vz nav should have been demoed for you so you would know exactly what you are paying for. And yes, one month free, then YOU call them to cancel if you no longer want it. Most people will set a reminder in thier calender. that way you won't forget. I have been using their nav since before I got my Curve or Storm. I love it.
    02-05-09 03:28 PM
    Wow, everyone just gets a new phone, services and applications and does not research or read the contracts? Then it is the companies fault for charges that they did know about? I hardly think so. It would be nice if people start taking responsibility for their own actions or rather, taking responsibility for not doing what they should!!
    02-05-09 04:54 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD