I'm going to get this phone no matter what--bad browser, locked GPS, what have you. But I had some questions about some issues I have with my Curve.

Will the Storm feature SMS threading? And will RIM and Verizon do away with the 160 character limit and just split the message into multiple texts as it sends like my old free LG phone would do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 09:54 AM
    what do you mean will RIM and Verizon do away with the 160 character limit?

SMS (Short Messaging Service) as used on modern handsets was originally defined as a means of sending messages of up to 160 characters (including spaces)
    10-08-08 12:47 PM
    what he is saying on dumb phone models and some smartphones even, if a text went over 160 words, it would just eb sent in muiltiple text messages. I myself have gotten 4 page texts, its really not alot when you think about it. On the blackberry's they just dont allow you to go past the 160. It would be nice if that changed but i doubt it has
    10-08-08 12:53 PM
    I say that if you have that much to say to any one person, then why don't you just call them up? Or, just send the message as an MMS message, if you have the option... you can put like 1,000 characters in an MMS message.

CC
    10-08-08 12:56 PM
    what he is saying on dumb phone models and some smartphones even, if a text went over 160 words, it would just eb sent in muiltiple text messages. I myself have gotten 4 page texts, its really not alot when you think about it. On the blackberry's they just dont allow you to go past the 160. It would be nice if that changed but i doubt it has
    On Verizon to Verizon, there's no limit. But Verizon to another network it's 160 max. Is that what you guys are talking about? I would assume that on a BB it would be the same deal?
    10-08-08 12:56 PM
    For SMS, I don't think I've ever hit the 160 character limit -
    probably why I didn't even realize there was a limit on them.

The more you know...
    10-08-08 12:59 PM
    lol yea even verizon to verizon on the blackberry, you just cannot type more than 160. I didn not now that about the mms tho that it is up to a 1000. And since 95% of the people i speak with are on verizon thats all free for me
    10-08-08 01:30 PM
    On Verizon to Verizon, there's no limit. But Verizon to another network it's 160 max. Is that what you guys are talking about? I would assume that on a BB it would be the same deal?
    Yes verizon does this but for bb users they don't even include this option on the phone period. My fiance and I both have verizon blackberries but all we can send in an SMS is 160 and then we have to start a whole new message. Kinda crazy but thank god for bb messenger.

10-08-08 01:35 PM
    yep, 160 for sms, that's it! and MMS is a whole other game, TELUS has ban MMS on my curve 8330...great!
    10-08-08 01:35 PM
    Yes verizon does this but for bb users they don't even include this option on the phone period. My fiance and I both have verizon blackberries but all we can send in an SMS is 160 and then we have to start a whole new message. Kinda crazy but thank god for bb messenger.
    Hmm. Interesting. That kind of sucks but I'll deal. Now, do you know if a VZW regular phone texts you on your BB a 160+ character message... what happens? Do you get it all as one or is it chunked up?
    10-08-08 01:38 PM
    if a reg verizon phones nexts a verizon blackberry of 160+ it comes in as many sperate messages as it needs. Like i've said I've recived up to 4 pages of a text on my balckberry before, I just cannot send out more than 1 page
    10-08-08 01:42 PM
    Hmm. Interesting. That kind of sucks but I'll deal. Now, do you know if a VZW regular phone texts you on your BB a 160+ character message... what happens? Do you get it all as one or is it chunked up?
    The messaging service would basically split it up into the amount of text it would take. So if someone sent me a 250 character message I would get two separate text. I don't understand why they did this with bbs and it bothers me also being that they are smartphones. If an env or dare can do it why can't we?

10-08-08 01:44 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
    10-08-08 01:48 PM
    Yes, thank you for answering. I hate that my Curve won't let me send more than 160 even to other vzw users. Sending an MMS isn't always convenient for a few reasons: I use qsms which opens an SMS; some people (even vzw) don't have MMS plans so they don't like paying to receive them; and I don't usually know how many characters a text will be before I start typing it, so I'd have to copy or cut from the SMS and go paste it in an MMS or I'd have to start a new SMS (which I have been doing), but that seems an unnecessary hassle for a SMART phone.

I was hoping the storm--competing with the iPhone--would fix this.

10-08-08 02:36 PM
    I found that if you put.... The last few characters of the 160 and send it. When you start a new message to that person and continue it shows as one message.

10-08-08 02:41 PM
    I don't think it was answered yet....threaded txt messaging?
    10-08-08 03:20 PM
    In the simulator it shows that it lets you type more than 160 characters in SMS, and it also shows you how many SMS messages it will be sending it as.
    10-08-08 03:57 PM
    Really? I just downloaded the simulator and it stopped me after 160 characters and said "Field Full"

10-08-08 04:07 PM
    Really? I just downloaded the simulator and it stopped me after 160 characters and said "Field Full"

did the same for me.
    10-08-08 04:12 PM
    You guys should really start using "pin to pin" or blackberry messenger. No character limit.
    10-08-08 04:19 PM
    Not many people I frequently contact have blackberrys. Otherwise I would.

10-08-08 04:20 PM
    That's so freakin weird! When I first went to create a new SMS in the simulator it said 160 at the top, but then next to that it said 1/6. And when I would type past 160 it would then go to 2/6, and so on. But once I exited out of the simulator and reopened it, it doesn't say that anymore. Sorry guys!
    10-08-08 04:39 PM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I JUST got a blackberry curve from verizon yesterday, and in the ~5 years that i've been texting on verizon, the SMS messages have ALWAYS allowed me to enter more than 160 characters, and as davebibel mentioned, it would say (2/6) at the top as it entered into a second "page". In all my years of texting, I NEVER had a 2+ page text from another verizon phone come to me as separate messages. The phone that I had yesterday was the LG Dare from verizon, and it texted the way that I just mentioned.

I searched on google about it and this thread came up. It's a very annoying limit. I wouldn't have imagined a limit like this on a blackberry. Getting around it would be amazing.
    10-25-08 02:53 PM
    The messaging service would basically split it up into the amount of text it would take. So if someone sent me a 250 character message I would get two separate text. I don't understand why they did this with bbs and it bothers me also being that they are smartphones. If an env or dare can do it why can't we?

I agree the env, the voyager and the dare all do it even my motoq does it. So why not the BB's??

And i know a lot of you on here must not be onto sending msg's all the time, I send like 1000 msg's a month or more and I am constantly going over the 160char I know this because a few of my friends or on at&t and when i send to them i am constantly needing to go back resend the msg as 2 or more msg's because I get that horrible msg from VZW telling me I went over the 160 char max to people outside of VZW network. However I have the voyager and a friend of mine has the env and we send msg's all the time to each other that are upwards of 250 char or more with no problems.
    10-25-08 05:23 PM
    yeah i was able to do it on my treo it just will be two different messeage.
    10-25-08 11:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD