I've searched everywhere in the manuals and these forums and nothing describes what that small hole in the center of the top near the chrome trim ring is for-- any ideas?

Noise cancellation microphone?
    12-07-08 09:04 PM
    Looks like it would be for a belt holster to lock in?
    12-07-08 09:06 PM
    my guess would be a mic for noise canceling.
    12-07-08 09:07 PM
    i'd go with the belt holster theory
    12-07-08 09:09 PM
    I have no idea ... although I think it is more likely to be a holster clip notch than a noise canceling mic. Just my .02.

Maybe it is simply a punch out to hold the camera module in place. Has anyone seen a data sheet with schematic?
    12-07-08 09:10 PM
    Looks like it would be for a belt holster to lock in?
    I thought that at first too, but looking in there with a loupe revealed a mesh screen, like the kind used under the speaker grille on the back. It could be just to keep dust out and you're right.

Hope someone can answer definitively to satisfy my curiosity!
    12-07-08 09:11 PM
    my guess would be a mic for noise canceling.
    +1. Doesn't seem sturdy enough as a notch for a clip.
    12-07-08 09:16 PM
    I think its partially to do with the earpiece speaker itself..

not a extra mic or anything..

the noise canceling mic is on the back of the phone..

I could be incorrect.. but it seems logical to me.
    12-07-08 09:17 PM
    its not the belt clip one at least not the one blackberry sells.. the clip from blackberry goes all the way over the top.. i think its something to do with the earpiece myself.
    12-07-08 09:21 PM
    I believe it is the light sensor for auto-dim. Put your fingy over it and watch it dim....
    12-07-08 09:32 PM
    ^^ your probably correct haha didn't even cross my mind but it makes sense.
    12-07-08 09:34 PM
    I believe it is the light sensor for auto-dim. Put your fingy over it and watch it dim....
    Incorrect. The light sensor is in the same spot as the LED on the front top.
    12-07-08 09:41 PM
    im just guessing, but it would make sense to me for the camera to sense light difference.
    12-07-08 10:00 PM
    It's just a speaker port
    12-07-08 10:06 PM
    It is the sound input for the noise cancellation for the headset. It measures background noise in order to cancel it out.
    12-07-08 10:11 PM
    I've searched everywhere in the manuals and these forums and nothing describes what that small hole in the center of the top near the chrome trim ring is for-- any ideas?

Noise cancellation microphone?
    It is indeed a noise cancellation microphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 10:14 PM
    i have the belt clip from best buy and there is a piece that snaps in there to secure it
    12-07-08 10:21 PM
    im pretty sure its not for a clip to snap into.. if you try to pull at it, it is not a piece that likes to be pulled.

Im sticking with the noise canceling mic port.
    12-07-08 10:27 PM
    i have the belt clip from best buy and there is a piece that snaps in there to secure it
    Yikes I hope not
    12-07-08 10:36 PM
    Guys play some music or some kind out audio (i'm using flycast right now) but anyways with it playing put your ear on this hole and place your hand over the speaker trying to block all the sound from it. You will hear the speaker threw this hole. With this said i think it is for when your making a call it kinda sends the noise up toward the ear.

thats my .02
    12-07-08 10:44 PM
    i know the holster i have def hooks into it. maybe it is for something else but the bestbuy holster snaps in there
    12-07-08 11:21 PM
    Its noise cancellation feature of the phone. Its a second mic your phone has.

With both mics that your phone has... it will listen to all the noise, then what the bottom mic picks up from when you talk the top mic wont "hear" you talking it will figure out what is background noise and what is your voice.

SERIOUSLY this is a super cool feature for me. Give it a try turn on the radio (pretty loud) and call someone and talk in a normal voice the will hear you loud and clear. Of course with in reason if your radio is ear bleeding loud, it wont work. Give it a try and report on here. I think its pretty amazing
    12-07-08 11:27 PM
    HMM... TOTALLLLLYYY off topic. BUT when someone said that the light sensor is located where the LED is it made me think... WHAT IF when the storm is in an active call the use that light sensor as a proximity sensor of sorts to lock the screen since when your phone is up to you ear, that light sensor would be dark...
    12-08-08 12:24 AM
    HMM... TOTALLLLLYYY off topic. BUT when someone said that the light sensor is located where the LED is it made me think... WHAT IF when the storm is in an active call the use that light sensor as a proximity sensor of sorts to lock the screen since when your phone is up to you ear, that light sensor would be dark...
    Smart man.
    12-08-08 12:27 AM
    dosnt some of the BB phones like the bold or maybe the newer curve series do that? if not that would be a awesome fix or a good third part app.
    12-08-08 12:30 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD