I just received my SEIDO spring clip side holster. everything about it is awesome, but this is my first BB and first holster, so what do I know?

it does in fact support the sleeper function as advertised. however, I'm really curious as to how it does this. as i slowly see it go into the holster, i can see the exact moment where the phone goes to sleep. what exactly is the clip doing that "tells" the phone to go to sleep. i narrowed it down to something with the bottom of the phone as it will go to sleep with only the bottom end in the holster. anyone?
    12-19-08 04:35 PM
    It's a magnet that tells it to go to sleep
    12-19-08 04:36 PM
    its a magnet
    12-19-08 04:37 PM
    thanks for answering my noob question guys. it is appreciated, but it brings up yet another question. i've been told that having magnets near electronics is bad....ESPECIALLY memory oriented components. Whats the worst that can happen from having the magnet so close to my phone at all times?
    12-19-08 04:56 PM
    Probably nothing bad on Blackberries. They've been using the magnet for sleep mode in many of their devices for a long time now.
    12-19-08 04:57 PM
    Another noob question.
    Does the oem holster from verizon also put the storm to sleep or is it only the Seidio Holster?
    I purchased a oem leather case thinking it would enable it to sleep but have not noticed that it does. Still draining battery and I don't want to make another mistake by getting the oem holster if it does not do sleeper mode.

HELP?
    12-20-08 11:34 AM
    The magnet has to be near the center of the Storm (either front or back works). That's where the Storm's sensor is.
    12-20-08 11:53 AM
    I bought OEM leather pouch from VZW -- puts to sleep just fine. Did not test with open/ plastic holster.
    12-20-08 11:56 AM
    Another noob question.
    Does the oem holster from verizon also put the storm to sleep or is it only the Seidio Holster?
    I purchased a oem leather case thinking it would enable it to sleep but have not noticed that it does. Still draining battery and I don't want to make another mistake by getting the oem holster if it does not do sleeper mode.

HELP?
    This one ("Swivel Holster") it says it does:
    Enter your location

Also the "Leather sleeve with sleep function" it does:
    Enter your location

I have it and it works great, also the sleeve is not too tight as other people complained, however, it still needs to be broken in a little bit.
    12-20-08 11:56 AM
    thanks for answering my noob question guys. it is appreciated, but it brings up yet another question. i've been told that having magnets near electronics is bad....ESPECIALLY memory oriented components. Whats the worst that can happen from having the magnet so close to my phone at all times?
    I've never heard that with any validity. I heard that magnets can mess with the mechanisms in watches because of all the small metal components, but magnets do not have a direct effect on electronics or digital data.
    12-20-08 01:34 PM
    but magnets do not have a direct effect on electronics or digital data.
    As long as the are no magnetically sensitive components (like old floppy disks). The Storm should be fine.

Also, as a general warning, be careful with the pouches that have both a magnetic closure and space for you to put additional cards (credit, transportation, etc). Many of those cards have magstrips, and will get corrupted by the magnet.
    12-20-08 01:40 PM
    As long as the are no magnetically sensitive components (like old floppy disks). The Storm should be fine.

Also, as a general warning, be careful with the pouches that have both a magnetic closure and space for you to put additional cards (credit, transportation, etc). Many of those cards have magstrips, and will get corrupted by the magnet.
    I thought they did away with that technology. Thanks for the insight That is still true about credit card strips today.
    12-20-08 01:45 PM
    I thought they did away with that technology.
    Thanks for making me feel old.
    12-20-08 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD