I've saved it as every single possible alternative but all of a sudden, I can't open pictures from email.

"This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device"

This phone blows
    Last edited by cbtk18; 01-02-09 at 03:50 PM.
    01-02-09 03:45 PM
    maybe it's not the phone that blows. have you tried to access the file from a computer to make sure it really is a jpeg.
    also, if you haven't already, you may want to send yourself a jpeg to make sure you know what the file is... and make sure that the file is not too big to be opened.. I thought I heard there was a size limit.
    01-02-09 04:25 PM
    Probably the file is corrupted. You should go ahead and return the phone to Verizon (since you seem to dislike it so fiercely).
    01-02-09 04:34 PM

I've saved it as every single possible alternative but all of a sudden, I can't open pictures from email.

"This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device"

This phone blows
    Go into DM and make sure the attachment service is checked, I guarantee it isn't, I dealt with this too when I did a wipe/OS install.
    01-02-09 04:40 PM
    Ah HA! Thanks, I was having the same problem. Still can't open PDFs, but don't know if Adobe Reader is available for the Storm.
    01-02-09 09:19 PM
    Ah HA! Thanks, I was having the same problem. Still can't open PDFs, but don't know if Adobe Reader is available for the Storm.
    The storm comes with a pdf reader. I opened one fine yesterday from my email. I think you guys are opening too big of a file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 09:22 PM
    The one I tried to open was only 50k. I got the "This attachment type cannot be opened" message.
    01-02-09 09:32 PM
    The storm comes with a pdf reader. I opened one fine yesterday from my email. I think you guys are opening too big of a file.

I could not open pdf files until I installed beamberry
    01-02-09 09:55 PM
    Go into DM and make sure the attachment service is checked, I guarantee it isn't, I dealt with this too when I did a wipe/OS install.
    I did this but still no luck opening up pdfs. Am I missing something? I just want to view the pdf, now save it.
    03-19-09 08:08 PM
    where do i find beamberry????
    03-19-09 08:34 PM
    I learned that pdfs can only be viewed from email program.
    There may be a special app u can get but the storm will not open the file on its own.

03-19-09 09:22 PM
    There are a number of reasons why this can happen. First, there are a lot of different ways to save a JPEG and not all are as universally understood as we would hope. A lot of devices will not open a JPEG that is saved in any color environment other than RGB -- and a lot of people save them in lab color, indexed color or grayscale. Some JPEGs are also not saved in a format that is easily used by portable devices. Working in Photoshop, the best option is to use the "Save for Web and Devices" option -- this creates a very compatible file that works just about anywhere. The email application used to send the file can also affect the ability to open the attachment. Many times, the image is seen as embedded instead of attached.
    03-19-09 09:22 PM
    Documents to Go will open PDFs on the Storm. There is a free version as well as a more fully featured paid version.
    03-19-09 09:23 PM
    I unloaded and reloaded the attachment service and it still does not open jpegs....I wiped messages and attachment items. I am taking phone back to Verizon for more help. I can open other attachments, just not jpegs... crazy.
    Last edited by thetuck; 06-14-09 at 09:24 AM.
    06-14-09 08:40 AM
    I faced a similar problem.

Here is how i fixed it:

Connected device to computer.
    Started DM.
    Uninstall attachment services.
    Closed DM. (device was still connected to computer)
    Restarted DM.
    Installed attachment services.

Keep in mind, some of the attachments that weren't opening before, still weren't opening. However, I was able to view jpegs, pdf files, etc in all new emails.

Also, if you don't have any third party app installed for pdf files, you might only be able to view it in an email. I have never saved the file and tried to open it outside of my inbox. I usually click view attachment while i'm in the email. When I do it that way, I have been able to view the pdf file (regardless of the size).

This is not a guaranteed fix but it worked for me every time I had this issue. I have upgraded/downgraded my OS numerous times and this solution always worked whenever I had a problem viewing attachments.

As far as the jpeg you're trying to view...try sending it to yourself again. Maybe the file got corrupted somehow.
    06-14-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD