i've been around on crackberry now since may, well before the storm release. i have noticed however that since it was released, anytime someone makes a post, all i see everywhere are folks saying "do a search" or "someone already posted on this".

i'm just wondering what has changed that people can't get honest answers to their questions anymore now that the storm is out?

anyone else noticing this?
    12-11-08 02:28 PM
    Do a search.

Jk. You're not the only one who's seen this...
    12-11-08 02:35 PM
    This topic has already been posted. Do a.... (oh wait) ;-)
    12-11-08 02:36 PM
    This topic has already been posted. Do a.... (oh wait) ;-)
    ^^^^^ LOL!!
    12-11-08 02:38 PM
    Actually, I think the reason we are seeing more people saying "do a search" is because this phone has brought a lot of new BB users to the site.
    12-11-08 02:43 PM
    heh, funny, i just liked it better how the forums used to be.
    12-11-08 02:44 PM
    i've been around on crackberry now since may, well before the storm release. i have noticed however that since it was released, anytime someone makes a post, all i see everywhere are folks saying "do a search" or "someone already posted on this".

i'm just wondering what has changed that people can't get honest answers to their questions anymore now that the storm is out?

No we aren't! I can't believe you said that! Why, I outta...
    Hehehe
    12-11-08 02:44 PM
    Actually, I think the reason we are seeing more people saying "do a search" is because this phone has brought a lot of new BB users to the site.
    your probably right, but in their defense, the searches do kind of suck. they don't usually find things that are applicable unless you get the wording right. a search on google yields better results, that usually end up coming from crackberry anyhow.
    12-11-08 02:45 PM
    things will settle out. i know im newer to the forum but all boards are like this. they have up and down periods. just ride it out.
    12-11-08 02:46 PM
    your probably right, but in their defense, the searches do kind of suck. they don't usually find things that are applicable unless you get the wording right. a search on google yields better results, that usually end up coming from crackberry anyhow.
    That's true. The search function is FAR from perfect.
    12-11-08 02:47 PM
    As a noob and a less then 24 hour user on the phone I been reading on this forum for about 2 weeks maybe trying to get answers before having the phone so I wouldnt feel as dumb asking the question.

Now that I have the phone I found it a little overwelming and hard to get use to. I do, do searches, but sometimes comes back with nothing or 20 pages back.

I see how much attitude people give for repeated questions, but its not the same person asking the question and just becuase your use to this forum and to the phone doesnt mean a new user will be. I was lost as ****, but now i am pretty comfortable, but still have a lot of questions.

It takes about the same time to post a link or a quick verbage on what to search then it does to post a snappy comeback or serach the forum reply.

I know im a noob, but if anyone has questions, just post them up and I will try to help out and if not I can help you look for out becuase I may have the same question.
    12-11-08 02:52 PM
    That's true. The search function is FAR from perfect.
    yeah but sometimes there will be the exact same question 3 threads apart on the front page. You can expect the "do a search" response on pretty much any type of forum
    12-11-08 02:53 PM
    as soon as all the bb nubs figure out how to use their storms or take them back it will go back.
    12-11-08 02:55 PM
    latin thug is right. it does take as much time to type a proper response as it does to type "do a search"
    12-11-08 02:55 PM

Yes I noticed this, but its mostly because newbies keep starting new post of questions that are answered in the newbie section or my simply doing a search. I realize that the Storm has brought a significant amount of new blackberry users, but at the same time, that's what the newbie section is for. I think a lot of newbies think that their problem is only specific to the Storm so they come to the storm forum to post questions that are not device always device specifics and have been answered hundreds of times. So you see a lot of the CB vets lol get irriated easily because they have been through these post over and over and a lot of time good posts get pushed back because people don't do their dilligence to find the answers. So I understand both sides of the coin. Newbies and those that haven't been around that long probably won't understand until they are around a while.

So this is the conclusion I came to.... if the newbies refuse to take the vets advice to finding answers quickly then people can respond how they want. I try to avoid those threads myself lol. But I must admit I am tired of see the threads like "Gmail is sending me a copy of my emails" or "How do I change my ringer" LOL.
    12-11-08 03:07 PM
    heh, ya i agree with you there scorpio, but i try to have some compassion, lol
    12-11-08 03:14 PM
    This is an awesome forum and helps so many people find the answers they need. I am not a new Blackberry user, but am new to crackberry. If I post something without doing a search, Please have mercy on my soul.(LOL) I'm just glad all us Blackberry users, no matter which network can get on here and teach eachother tips and tricks.
    12-11-08 03:19 PM
    Yup the Storm has some people moody. On the other hand.....if I really want an answer I will do a search and read through the results to find what I need before posting a question- why should someone have to answer me on a question that had already been asked.
    12-11-08 03:19 PM
    heh, ya i agree with you there scorpio, but i try to have some compassion, lol
    I do have compassion (most of the time lol) I at least try to copy and paste a link SOMETIMES. Catch me on the wrong day I might say something like "try doing a search or something before posting a topic that has been covered hundreds of time" lol. I try to keep those reponses to a minimum because I understand how they feel. I think in the 6 months, I've been a member I start 4-5 threads... I usually find my answers via google (which oftens brings be to the threads here) or searching here. I guess some people rather wait (sometimes) to get a good response. I wonder what those people do that didn't get an answer to their post....hmmmmmm
    12-11-08 03:22 PM
    yes, i think they should post an ultimate sticky saying before you search on crackberry, search google, and follow the link to crackberry!!!! hahaha
    12-11-08 03:23 PM
    Yup the Storm has some people moody. On the other hand.....if I really want an answer I will do a search and read through the results to find what I need before posting a question- why should someone have to answer me on a question that had already been asked.
    I agree. I like to have results instantly. If I really want something, I will search everything I can to find the answer instead of waiting. I think of my few posts, I haven't posted anything asking about using any devices. It's been more general questions to get opinions about stuff, but not about how to use the phone. Almost everything can be answered between google, CB and the manuals. I come here to help most of the time.
    12-11-08 03:25 PM
    heh, funny, i just liked it better how the forums used to be.
    Yeah, me too. It's almost like some people have nothing better to do than go around and say "Do a search" and be nasty to someone. Sometime I do a search and end up with non-Google-like-precision threads listed that don't even have anything to do with my question.
    12-11-08 03:32 PM
    Personally I think it depends on where you are coming from.

I will tell people to "do a search" but i will also give them a phrase to search with like "do a search for commander or jl_commander". The real problem is that honestly a lot of the people posting here now are not only new to the storm but new to BB and BB has a learning curve and the phone it self does as well.

Most are to impatient to sit down and do things like read a manual or quick tips guide or even just explore the options on their phone and for a lot of use who have been around BB for a while its kind of... frustrating lol

Not to mention that a lot of the question that have been posted the last few weeks have been... far from brain taxing and its kind of old. I know the search isn’t perfect but if you take a second to logically word what you’re looking for as short as possible but as clear as possible it just takes a little reading.

Also no many people do a search inside a thread which helps a lot when you get a hit on a 20 page thread.

All in all yea I think we could be a bit more... forgiving and I try to be but the questions are nearly insultingly easy, it shows a serious lack of concern for your new expensive phone if you wont take the time to do it your self (and its down right lazy) and to top it off most of the new people are also new to forums or at least seem to be because they have no forum etiquette which is probably the most annoying of all.
    12-11-08 03:58 PM
    I don't think it's so much a matter of people constantly telling others to use the search function as much as a lot of the new members are just downright nasty. Since the release of the storm, there has been a huge influx of new members who do nothing but bicker, fight, b*tch, and insult each other. To me, this is a far worse issue here on CB than someone requesting that a newbie try out the search function - which is there for a reason, by the way.

Come on Sylv... You and I have both been around CB forever now, don't you remember what it was like before? Same issue. "Help! My Pearl dumped my call log and texts!" Search function. There were eight million of these threads being created a day. So really, this isn't a new issue; I think the new issue is, again, all these downright ignorant and rude noobs flooding the board. Half of the original and most helpful members here at CB don't even post anymore. Ask any noob who daddybear, patrick.waugh, or any other original vet is - I guarantee you they won't know.
    12-11-08 04:05 PM
    I don't think it's so much a matter of people constantly telling others to use the search function as much as a lot of the new members are just downright nasty. Since the release of the storm, there has been a huge influx of new members who do nothing but bicker, fight, b*tch, and insult each other. To me, this is a far worse issue here on CB than someone requesting that a newbie try out the search function - which is there for a reason, by the way.

Come on Sylv... You and I have both been around CB forever now, don't you remember what it was like before? Same issue. "Help! My Pearl dumped my call log and texts!" Search function. There were eight million of these threads being created a day. So really, this isn't a new issue; I think the new issue is, again, all these downright ignorant and rude noobs flooding the board. Half of the original and most helpful members here at CB don't even post anymore. Ask any noob who daddybear, patrick.waugh, or any other original vet is - I guarantee you they won't know.

I agree that people are and can be downright nasty. I've been around twice had a username that I didn't like so created a new one and since the storms release I have seen it rudeness increase. I believe that two things are the problem: 1) more people will be nastier if they believe they are anonymous 2) there are too many threads bashing the device and the defensive and attacks take over.

just my humble .02
    12-11-08 04:42 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD