Hi all,

First post here. I'm new to the Storm, buying it launch weekend at Best Buy and trying it out against my Sprint HTC Mogul. I'm concerned about the signal strength on the Storm -- in the past, I've had Verizon and always had excellent signal everywhere I go, but the Storm loses badly to the Sprint (!) phone this time around. In tough locations (deep in buildings, my home, etc) the Mogul consistently keeps at least 1-2 bars of service and can complete calls. In addition, it holds the EVDO connection very well, only occasionally reverting to 1x. In my other hand, the Storm will frequently revert to "1x" mode, or even worse, the dreaded "x" or "SOS" will show up in the same spot where my Sprint phone is locked to EVDO. Web browsing in borderline areas is challenging on the Storm, with the browser sitting on "Requesting" while the Sprint phone flies through loading the page at the same time.

I live in Orange County, which definitely has excellent Verizon coverage, but not once has the Storm picked up a signal when the Mogul hasn't, and the vice versa situation has presented itself often.

When I check the Storm signal strength through the Options menu, it seems to peg at "-80dB." Doesn't seem to be able to go any higher. Is anyone else here getting a higher signal reading (i.e. -60-70dB)?
    12-11-08 08:37 PM
    I've noticed signal fluctuation as well.. I used to get 3-4 bars on my curve down to 1-2 on my storm in my house and i'm just 10 minutes north of Boston and i've always had great service. No idea whats causing it.
    12-11-08 08:39 PM
    Same here, big time signal fluctuation! Standing in place it even fluctuates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 08:46 PM
    For the first time in 8 years I have lost service in my bedroom. I don't know what the deal was... At least its only happened twice.

12-11-08 08:49 PM
    I ride the Metro in DC and have had no problem w/ the signal underground.
    12-11-08 08:50 PM
    No probs in NYC
    12-11-08 08:52 PM
    No prob in NC, STL or ATL. My storm never drops a call even in elevators. .....
    12-11-08 08:57 PM
    Almost always 5 bars in Philly.
    12-11-08 08:58 PM
    It has gotten the same signal strength as my Dare and Moto755 have.
    12-11-08 09:04 PM
    I have an unlocked storm that I use on my gsm carrier. I have to say this is the best phone I have ever used on edge as far as signal strength goes. It holds a signal better then my previous curve and every other phone that I've had. Theres a certain hill here in MT when you go over the top and start down the other side that I ALWAYS dropped a call with my previous phones. I tried it today with the storm and it hung on to the signal all the way down the hill and successfully handed off to the next tower. That has never happened to my before.
    12-11-08 09:27 PM
    No problem in NJ. As a matter of fact I have better service at my home and work than I did with my Treo 700wx.
    12-11-08 10:04 PM
    Guys, the Storm actually has an *objective* way of viewing your signal strength through the options menu. Would you be kind enough to actually say if you are ever seeing anything higher than -80dB?
    12-11-08 11:05 PM
    For the first time in 8 years I have lost service in my bedroom. I don't know what the deal was... At least its only happened twice.

Is that your way of saying you're not getting laid or not getting cell service?
    12-11-08 11:07 PM
    Never get anything higher then -80. Also services is great in Pittsburgh. EVDO REV A always.
    12-11-08 11:10 PM
    Hi all,

First post here. I'm new to the Storm, buying it launch weekend at Best Buy and trying it out against my Sprint HTC Mogul. I'm concerned about the signal strength on the Storm -- in the past, I've had Verizon and always had excellent signal everywhere I go, but the Storm loses badly to the Sprint (!) phone this time around. In tough locations (deep in buildings, my home, etc) the Mogul consistently keeps at least 1-2 bars of service and can complete calls. In addition, it holds the EVDO connection very well, only occasionally reverting to 1x. In my other hand, the Storm will frequently revert to "1x" mode, or even worse, the dreaded "x" or "SOS" will show up in the same spot where my Sprint phone is locked to EVDO. Web browsing in borderline areas is challenging on the Storm, with the browser sitting on "Requesting" while the Sprint phone flies through loading the page at the same time.

I live in Orange County, which definitely has excellent Verizon coverage, but not once has the Storm picked up a signal when the Mogul hasn't, and the vice versa situation has presented itself often.

When I check the Storm signal strength through the Options menu, it seems to peg at "-80dB." Doesn't seem to be able to go any higher. Is anyone else here getting a higher signal reading (i.e. -60-70dB)?
    I'm so glad I finally saw someone else post about this issue. I am in San Diego and have never dropped a call in my apartment but having the storm the first weekend dropped more than 10 calls while sitting in the same spot I always was at before using my curve.

Right now: Curve -102dbm, Storm -97dbm.

I have no idea what those numbers mean or which is better, but the Storm does drop calls and the Curve never did...and I have done the *228 update...any thoughts?
    12-11-08 11:27 PM
    Guys, the Storm actually has an *objective* way of viewing your signal strength through the options menu. Would you be kind enough to actually say if you are ever seeing anything higher than -80dB?
    I have -83b right now in Houston (indoor). That is within the good range. Higher is actually worse correct? It means the phone is increasing output due to poos coverage.

EDIT ok higher value (but since it is a negative number you were asking about higher meaning in the -70 range)
    12-11-08 11:39 PM
    I can use the storm in areas where my dare fails. I found better results turning off global support and just using CMDA. Maybe when your in flaky areas it starts looking for a GSM signal or something.

Ok try this

Useing base config global *

1.Turn off the signal
    2.Turn it back on
    3.Check the status

Now change the the network technology to 1XEV
    repeat 1-3

I found a difference of 5 dBm (93 to 99), Maybe it does nothing but theres no need to be using global support.
    Last edited by sanj0; 12-11-08 at 11:52 PM.
    12-11-08 11:40 PM
    Hi all,

I had a 6800(same as your Mogul) and I get better signal with my Storm. With the 6800 I gor 2-3 bars at my house, with the Storm I get 3-4 bars.....
    12-11-08 11:44 PM
    I had a 6800(same as your Mogul) and I get better signal with my Storm. With the 6800 I gor 2-3 bars at my house, with the Storm I get 3-4 bars.....
    It's really not about the number of bars. There have been numerous places where I've gotten signal (even one bar) with the Mogul, and the Storm is out of service for a voice call. Deep in buildings, I can actually use the EVDO on the Mogul to get online while the Storm is either OOS or using 1x speeds.

I changed modes from Global to 1XEV, so let's see what happens. The fact that no one can get signal any stronger than -80dB seems to concern me (mine fluctuates from -80dB to -107dB).
    12-12-08 12:07 AM
    It's really not about the number of bars. There have been numerous places where I've gotten signal (even one bar) with the Mogul, and the Storm is out of service for a voice call. Deep in buildings, I can actually use the EVDO on the Mogul to get online while the Storm is either OOS or using 1x speeds.

I changed modes from Global to 1XEV, so let's see what happens. The fact that no one can get signal any stronger than -80dB seems to concern me (mine fluctuates from -80dB to -107dB).
    I am making an even comparison! 2 on 6800 4 on the Storm... MY STORM = MORE SIGNAL!!
    12-12-08 12:15 AM
    Running -92 here, signal is ironically much worse than on my att phones.

12-24-08 10:36 AM
    No problems here in the metro DC area. It gets the same signal strength as my previous BB 8830. Strong 3G signal all around.

Do you have any friends with VZW? See if they have the same signal issues as you in the same area, if not, get the phone replaced, if so, then maybe you should just cancel your contract and go back with Sprint or try AT&T and get "the phone we don't speak of".

Best of luck to you.
    12-24-08 10:52 AM
    No problems on Long Island. I am getting -96dB & better
    12-24-08 11:00 AM
    If you want to keep an eye on your signal strength w/o checking options bring up your keyboard on the home screen and lock the alt button then hit N M L L. It'll change your bars display to show the sign strength in dBm. Do it again to change it back. Mines never gone below -80 but from whAt I understand its not capable of going below -40 regardless. Lower number equals better reception. So far I've gotten good reception coast to coast and a few places in between.

12-24-08 11:04 AM
    No problems here in the metro DC area. It gets the same signal strength as my previous BB 8830. Strong 3G signal all around.

Do you have any friends with VZW? See if they have the same signal issues as you in the same area, if not, get the phone replaced, if so, then maybe you should just cancel your contract and go back with Sprint or try AT&T and get "the phone we don't speak of".

Best of luck to you.
    What part of the DC area? I'm in northen va, and getting wild fluctuations from -80 to -100 without even moving.

12-24-08 11:18 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD