My Storm seldom has more than 2 bars - occassionally 3. I switched to the readout and it shows between -94 and -107. I called Verizon and the tech said -95 is where you want to be. I questioned that, but he would not relent. I'm not having problems but that number seems too low. Any thoughts? BTW I did the *228 thing but nothing changed.

Edit: It doesn't matter wether I'm indoors or out..
    Last edited by Corporatetrainer; 04-15-09 at 02:56 PM.
    04-15-09 02:52 PM
    where are you located? perhaps it's a bad reception area? or do you have this problem wherever you go?
    04-15-09 02:57 PM
    My Storm seldom has more than 2 bars - occassionally 3. I switched to the readout and it shows between -94 and -107. I called Verizon and the tech said -95 is where you want to be. I questioned that, but he would not relent. I'm not having problems but that number seems too low. Any thoughts? BTW I did the *228 thing but nothing changed.
    -80 is optimum. -94 is OK. -115 is basically no signal at all, I believe that -116 is no signal at all and the is the highest number that you will see. And it will always be a negative number. -94 to -107 is equal to 2 or 3 bars.

EDIT: If you had better signal prior to your .114 v3 OS that you are running I would recommend going back to either .109 or .113.
    04-15-09 02:58 PM
    I am in Northern Colorado. I'll have to see if it changes as I drive around town (with a magnifying glass to read the numbers) I thought optimum would be closer to -40. Ticked because I have never seen 5 bars. LOL

I'm running .122 platform .153 I forgot to update my sig...
    Last edited by Corporatetrainer; 04-15-09 at 03:08 PM.
    04-15-09 03:02 PM
    It does kind of stink. I only get 2 or 3 bars when I'm at my house (inside or out), but I can drive a mile or 2 down the road and have 5 bars. So crazy.
    04-15-09 03:09 PM
    I am in Northern Colorado. I'll have to see if it changes as I drive around town (with a magnifying glass to read the numbers) I thought optimum would be closer to -40. Ticked because I have never seen 5 bars. LOL

I'm running .122 platform .153 I forgot to update my sig...
    I have noticed some weird radio issues from going to .122 as well. .113 seemed a little higher on average (mine seems to drop and spike with 122). I'd try rolling back and comparing ... otherwise it may just be location, as previously suggested.
    04-15-09 03:23 PM
    I appreciate the input. I think it might be .122 as it is now fluctuating between -11 and -94. Too weird. now showing -10 and browser not working. Time for a batt pull.....
    04-15-09 04:30 PM
    We are talking about signal strength (RSSI) here, aren't we? With CDMA, signal strength is pretty much irrelevant to holding a call; what is important with CDMA is the signal to noise ratio (Ec/Io). This is because, with CDMA, many calls are on the same CDMA channel at the same time, being separated by clever differences in the encoding they are using. The common analogy is having a conversation at a loud party; what is important is not how loud the person is talking, but rather how well you can "decode" their "signal" over all other other conversations, which are "noise" to you. With CDMA, you can hold a call just fine with an incredibly weak signal (zero bars, just above "no signal") if noone else is on your channel, and drop it with "5 bars" if it is too crowded.

And "bars" are even more meaningless, since the number of bars is whatever the software wants to display based on whatever it chooses.

The bottom line is that the number of "bars" have little or no correlation with the ability to hold a call, particularly with CDMA.
    04-15-09 04:39 PM
    Update... Seems to have stablized at -86. So I'll just leave it alone for the time being.

Ya gotta love Colorado weather. It's 68 today and there are winter storm warnings posted for Thursday.
    04-15-09 04:41 PM
    Update... Seems to have stablized at -86. So I'll just leave it alone for the time being.

Ya gotta love Colorado weather. It's 68 today and there are winter storm warnings posted for Thursday.
    Storm warnings? Warnings of a new official OS? (Sorry, dumb joke)

Good luck...
    04-15-09 04:43 PM
    One can only hope.
    04-15-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD