Can someone explain to me in layman terms what the 'Signal' means on the status screen? Mine currently says -77dBm but I have no idea if that is good, bad or whatever

So what would be a good signal and what would be bad?

Cheers

Nick
    01-19-09 09:45 AM
    Your signal strength is measured in decibels. The higher the better. If you can make and receive phone calls, you're fine. This will go up and down all day long.
    01-19-09 09:49 AM
    lol - ok does that mean -50 is better than -77 as that is higher? what is the minimum and maximum - is it +100 and -100?
    01-19-09 10:41 AM
    According to electronics standards -90 is considered the highest dBm to satisfactorialy make or receive a call. However, BB seems to have higher readings than other manufacturers and you can sometimes make or receive calls at � -100. A signal of -70 is excellent ........ equivalent to standing under the tower. I returned a Storm that constantly dropped calls, faded out and seldom had a signal of less than -100.
    01-19-09 11:17 AM
    Regarding the Signal Streanth's.
    I would suggest that we should also state the version we are using and what signal we are getting? (lets compare apple with apple)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 11:22 AM
    I would suggest that we should also state the version we are using and what signal we are getting? (lets compare apple with apple)

That would hardly be apples to apples unless you're standing in the exact same spot that I am when I take the reading.
    01-19-09 11:25 AM

So where are yours?

I'm running .86; -80dBm
    01-19-09 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD