I like to shut down my storm at night so that I don't hear it going off all night. I understand I can put it on Vibrate or Silent, but I've always had a habit of shutting off my phone at night. Does shutting off the phone benefit it in anyway? Or should I just put it on silent and leave it on? I also like to have the clock on while it charges, but if the phone is off, the clock doesn't show up while charging. Just wondering if I should change my habit to putting it on silent rather than shutting it off if there's no advantage to shutting it off. Thanks.
    01-19-09 09:11 PM
    There's no advantage to shutting it off, other than that it will recharge slightly faster. As long as it's fully charged in the morning, leave it on. My 8830 is never off.
    01-19-09 09:24 PM
    I like to use the auto on/off feature. This allows you to shut off the phone and hav it come back on when u want it. Also doing this will turn off programs that are running in the background. This helps with speed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 09:26 PM
    In the clock options you can set it to disable the LED and/or the Radio when in bedside mode if you don't want to be disturbed and don't want the LED blinking at you. Just make sure to put it into bedside mode at night and the clock will stay on but with the radio and led dissabled you'll be in do not disturb heaven.
    01-19-09 09:40 PM
    I've always heard that the battery life will be longer if you turn it off while charging. This held true for past phones but I'm not really sure if its the same for a bb.
    01-19-09 09:45 PM
    I've always heard that the battery life will be longer if you turn it off while charging. This held true for past phones but I'm not really sure if its the same for a bb.
    Not correct.

01-19-09 09:48 PM
    Or, set the phone to go into bedside mode only when charges, then follow the directions of disable LED and Radio in bedside mode.
    01-19-09 09:49 PM
    Not says this will save battery, but it will help with phone bothering you at night.
    01-19-09 09:50 PM
    I just leave mine off at night because when I leave it on my storm gets pretty warm.

01-19-09 11:30 PM
    I actually always shut my storm off at night. I'm on my second storm because with my first phone the one night I left it on through the night I woke up and it had a really messed up OS problem and I had to get a replacement.

Probably NOT the norm but it happened to me once so I don't take the chance.

01-20-09 12:52 AM
    I leave mine on, gonna try the auto off feature tonight though.
    01-20-09 01:23 AM
    IF my phone makes it through a week without me pulling the battery then I usually turn my phone off for a night. this gives me a redeeming sense that I can relax and sleeping knowing that my phone will be speedy in the A.M. it's nice to know that i can stop all programs without the battery pull, so come Friday I think back to see if I pulled it once that week.

haha.

no, but seriously, I have always left my phones on, and especially with the STORM, you never know if it will turn back on.
    01-20-09 01:40 AM
    I haven't shut off a phone at night in over 6 years and I never noticed a difference between shutting a phone off or leaving the phone on while charging.
    01-20-09 06:00 AM
    I'm on call 24 hours a day so I never shut my Storm off. No problems with it and always fully charged in the am and no issues with the OS.
    01-20-09 06:18 AM
    I leave mine on 24/7. My Storm is the only way for family to get in touch with me in case of emergencies.
    01-20-09 08:43 AM
    I leave mine on, gonna try the auto off feature tonight though.
    NOTE: There is a bug in the OS such that when it comes back on the next day, the cell radio will be off and you'll need to manually enable it. This makes that great BB feature completely useless and RIM has not yet fixed it in recent [released] OS updates.
    01-20-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD