I got replacement #1 today. Hencho en Mexico!!! It's the best click screen I've ever touched, hands down, BUT, the end key is almost as loose as the original (made in Canada, being replaced due to lack of screens ability to click in the corners & send & end keys being so loose I can lift them almost off the phone) and there is a significant gap between the screen and the bottom of the phone (hard keys). I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it and still request a new one and got from there.
    I could possibly live with the gap, but it's tough since my original had almost no gap around the screen, and the loose end key is going to drive me nuts . . . especially when it eventually falls off
    12-24-08 03:39 AM
    This thread title sounds like it should be on an adoption forum

I kid I kid
    12-24-08 03:51 AM
    I thought rim doesn't manufacture their products in Mexico anymore due to the huge defective margin with the pearls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by thymaster; 12-24-08 at 04:02 AM.
    12-24-08 04:00 AM
    With the economy the way it is, RIM is probably doing what's cost effective. Wonder how cost effective it is now with the flood of Storm's coming back?
    12-24-08 04:15 AM
    I think the thread was started on a racial note...
    really who cares, mexican or canadian, they're just assembled there. im sure all the parts come from china.

staying on topic though... keep the one you like better.
    We need to stop being sooo politically correct.

He was wondering if his storm from one place had a higher than average failure rate than a storm built from another place.

It does not matter if one was built in africa, texas, japan, alaska, europe.. and so on, if there was one device that was junk from any one place, i would shure as heck want to know about it.

btw, where can i tell the race of my phone?
    12-24-08 04:35 AM
    On the side of the box it says where the phone was built.
    My first one was Canada 1 on 11/11/08
    Replacement built in Mexico 5 on 12/17/08
    12-24-08 04:43 AM
    It is truly sad that the OP finds it necessary to label a phone racially. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed. If I were Mexican, I'd be highly offended.

12-24-08 05:17 AM
    It is truly sad that the OP finds it necessary to label a phone racially. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed. If I were Mexican, I'd be highly offended.

there's nothing racial about the OP's post. something made in mexico is mexican. just like something made in america is american, china chinese, canada canadian.

if you think the term "mexican" is derogatory, then you're actually the one with the problem.
    12-24-08 06:10 AM
    Stop the BS. People are just wondering if there are differences in quality issues between various sites of assembly. The ones made in Mexico may be better, worse, or the same in terms of quality as those made in Canada. Stop the nonsense. It isn't offensive, it's a legitimate question.
    12-24-08 07:17 AM
    Stop the BS. People are just wondering if there are differences in quality issues between various sites of assembly. The ones made in Mexico may be better, worse, or the same in terms of quality as those made in Canada. Stop the nonsense. It isn't offensive, it's a legitimate question.
    exactly.

to help answer the question, please participate in these polls:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/whe...issues-120063/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...anyone-106773/
    12-24-08 07:25 AM
    Or you could participate in my original Hardware Poll

It certainly appears that there is a higher rate of issues from Storms made in Mexico. The Mexico units represent 20% of all Storms in the survey and they currently have a 50% failure rate. Total sample is currently 165 storms (33 from Mexico).
    12-24-08 08:12 AM
    I've noticed the Canadian / Mexican ratio is around 6:1. I'm on my first (and hopefully only) Storm and it was made in Mexico and has been working flawlessly.

I'm beginning to suspect the hardware issues people are encountering have to do with the individual assembly of each phone. The fact that tightening screws improve (fixes) performance reinforces that suspicion.

It would also mean it doesn't matter where you get your phone.
    12-24-08 08:15 AM
    the other interesting thing is very few of the 21009s, regardless of location, are reported to have hardware problems. this could be because there are fewer 21009s in market - who knows?
    12-24-08 08:20 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD