So my upgrade is up and I have been deciding if I want a storm or not I have seen so many reviews and it looks great and all but then I am also seeing a lot of problems with it at the moment.

Therefore, I am wondering if I am better off just waiting a couple months then upgrading or just go for it and upgrade.
    02-02-09 01:34 AM
    If you're willing to grow with a phone and can deal with a few bumps in the road then go for it. If you want it to be perfect out of the box and think you may have a problem updating your phone and what not then wait for it.
    02-02-09 01:51 AM
    The unhappy minority tends to be far louder than the very pleased and adaptable majority, especially on forums with die-hard fans/users like this one.

It's a great device, and it's only going to get better. Gotta be patient, keep on top of things, and do your research - but if you do, you'll be a very happy camper indeed.
    02-02-09 01:53 AM
    If you're willing to grow with a phone and can deal with a few bumps in the road then go for it. If you want it to be perfect out of the box and think you may have a problem updating your phone and what not then wait for it.
    I�m not so much wanting it perfect I mean what is perfect in this world now lol :-)

But like I hear the dust under the screen stuff and that would bug the heck out of me cause I'm kind of picky when it comes to that, some people think I am stupid for being that picky but I want what I pay for as well.
    02-02-09 01:55 AM
    I say you wait until a stable version comes out (if it ever does).

I bought this phone yesterday with a 3 year contract and was appalled when I found out I couldn't get a refund for the entire package (contract included).

So I'm getting mine replaced with the same storm, in hopes this one is defective.

The battery life is disgusting, even with the internet, gps, and backlight off. A few freezes now and then... nothing like my old 8800.

If I could I'd stick to the 8800, but I cannot =(
    02-02-09 01:58 AM
    As long as you get a device that clicks right you should be fine. There are "leaked" OS's being released each week it seems and they seem to get better, except .90 in my opinion which was the worst. .99 has been running fine for over a day now and I haven't had any memory leaks or even a random reboot yet. If you have no problems riding out the bumpy OS than I would suggest picking up the Storm as it's a great all around phone.

As for the dust under the screen some people get it some don't, you will notice it right away and if that is the case you can always get one replaced for free!

edit: btw my battery life is amazing.
    02-02-09 02:00 AM
    As long as you get a device that clicks right you should be fine. There are "leaked" OS's being released each week it seems and they seem to get better, except .90 in my opinion which was the worst. .99 has been running fine for over a day now and I haven't had any memory leaks or even a random reboot yet. If you have no problems riding out the bumpy OS than I would suggest picking up the Storm as it's a great all around phone.

As for the dust under the screen some people get it some don't, you will notice it right away and if that is the case you can always get one replaced for free!

edit: btw my battery life is amazing.
    Yea as most people do put there phones in there pocket I don’t lol its always in my hand even at work when I'm helping a customer or when I am out and about, so I know it wont be getting dust from my pocket lol
    Last edited by KristopherF; 02-02-09 at 02:23 AM.
    02-02-09 02:03 AM
    Its really up to you bro.

I had an 8330 also before i switched to the storm, and I didn't buy the storm on launch. I waited until Feb to buy mine, and luckily found it used for a good price. needless to say there was no dust, battery life is incredible, and as previous posters stated - Just wait it out. Nothing is perfect. The iPhone was complete crap when it first came out, and now everybody wants one. Just be cool, and do your research, and you should be happy.
    02-02-09 03:49 AM
    So my upgrade is up and I have been deciding if I want a storm or not I have seen so many reviews and it looks great and all but then I am also seeing a lot of problems with it at the moment.

Therefore, I am wondering if I am better off just waiting a couple months then upgrading or just go for it and upgrade.
    I would recommend it... Sure it has a few glitches at times but the OS updates are coming at an incredible rate like every week there is a leak... I am running .99 at the moment and love it... most problems are fixed just minor things...

Has anyone ever seen a phone where all users of it are happy and haven't experienced a problem??? Plus this is BB's first touch screen, considering it is their first they did a **** of a good job...
    02-02-09 08:33 AM
    This ... but overall its still a great device with alot of possiblities.
    02-02-09 08:57 AM
    QFT!!

From what we have seen... RIM is working their butts off to get us a truly worthy OS. there have been so many leaks that show promise but ultimately fail until the next revision and the process starts over... .90 was probably the best step forward with some huge steps back. If .90 didnt suffer all of the glitches, i would have been 100% happy with it. The speed was good, better keyboard, etc... but the random reboots, locking up, and general instability killed its potential.

.99 is still too new to make a solid conclusion but its a general step in the right direction. Few annoyances here and there, mainly with the colors, keyboard fonts, and other minor issues.

Based on what we have seen.. i would say the phone is gonna be great once the official OS comes out... if you dont mind running a leaked OS (.99) i would say go for it now!
    02-02-09 09:06 AM

Honestly I would wait until the app store that's coming in March to be up and running before I get a Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 09:24 AM
    I agree with many of these posts, but to the OP.. only a couple more months for the Niagara:-) My new upgrade comes in march.
    If you like your curve a lot, and can hold on to it.. It may be a smart idea to wait it out. But, if you really want a touchscreen device then try out the storm.
    02-02-09 09:28 AM
    amazing phone. It's not perfect, but they are making quick progress to getting it where everyone wants it.
    02-02-09 09:54 AM
    I say you wait until a stable version comes out (if it ever does).

I bought this phone yesterday with a 3 year contract and was appalled when I found out I couldn't get a refund for the entire package (contract included).

So I'm getting mine replaced with the same storm, in hopes this one is defective.

The battery life is disgusting, even with the internet, gps, and backlight off. A few freezes now and then... nothing like my old 8800.

If I could I'd stick to the 8800, but I cannot =(
    If you only got your phone yesterday then the battery is nowhere near it's potential. You need to give it quite a few overnite charges until the lightening bolt goes away at least. Once you do this you will find it to be much better.

When I first got mine I wanted to throw it out of the window after the fist 12 hours but I stuck with it and now love it ..
    Last edited by wolliwuk; 02-02-09 at 09:58 AM.
    02-02-09 09:55 AM
    when i first got it i was kinda dissapointed but i took it back and verizon will replace it for almost any reason but the second time i got a great one and i love my bb storm to death its a great phone no dust no screen click issues nothing and im running .75 so its really up to you i say go for or wait for the new curve coming
    02-02-09 10:23 AM
    I am so unhappy as a first time blackberry owner...

I want to be patient and let the "bumps" get worked out but there just seem to be so many I have a hard time understanding why Verizon released this device when they did.

...I'm going to vent now...I searched the forums for a good place to do this...so hopefully I'm not out of line in this thread. It just seems that there are so many different avenues of issues for my phone that I could post pretty much anywhere.

I have owned my Storm 9530 from the beginning of December. It is actually number two because the first one Verizon sent out had a malfunctioning touch screen. I am running 75 and have not chosen to do any of the leaks yet because all of the "new issues" that are a result of the upgraded OS's - I seem to already be experiencing.

-Phone randomly shuts off.
    This one really frustrates me because I don't know that this has happened until I check my phone for any calls/txts that may have come in. Strange thing is, I can't just power the phone back on. I have to hold the power button for a significant amount of time and then it resets as though I've done a battery pull...welcome the 5-7 minutes of wait time now.

::big concern to the above::what if there were an emergency and I needed to make a 911 call or something? ::very unreliable!!::

-Latency issues everywhere. The camera, the video camera, portrait to landscape, making and receiving a call. Ugh, the response time is nowhere near what I expect from such a galliant looking tool! Seriously, I try to take a picture...I press the button and it takes litterally five seconds for the "click". Also, while doing videos, I may be 29 seconds into the shoot and "poof" - the phone locks up and time for a battery pull.

-Shouldering the phone.
    Sometimes I need to use two hands. Unfortunately, whenever I try this while on a call my perfectly shaped jaw presses the "Flash" or "Mute" button the touchscreen and I generally lose my call.

-Wierd Error Msgs
    Sometimes in the browser or just from nowhere I get a strange error message displayed.

-Application Memory
    Last night: 305kb. After a battery pull (and again 5-7min of waiting) it was at 32mb.

All this and I still want to ride it out. I want to "grow with this device" as someone so eloquently put it somewhere above me. Thanks for letting me go off.

And for what it's worth 3rd party applications that I've installed include only Google Maps, Viigo and Radio Companion (which I have since removed.)

Oh and finally - the one thing I do not have a problem with is battery drain - which is another reason why I'm wary on upgrading the OS.
    02-02-09 10:27 AM
    amazing phone. It's not perfect, but they are making quick progress to getting it where everyone wants it.

Like he said! If your a DIE HARD BB Fan then get the storm.....It has its problems, but gets better and better as time goes on....
    02-02-09 10:42 AM
    Well after reading everything on this forum, they have convinced me to get one. Well I decided to get one due to all of there feedback and helpful support. I get mine tomorrow and I know it was well worth it. Despite all the little problems, I am willing to wait it out.

The choice is yours...
    02-02-09 11:14 AM
    Another happy customer. It has its flaws, but it's still by far the best phone I've ever owned. Provided, this is my first smartphone, and I'm very much a geeky tinkerer type - I love Linux because I have to fuss over it so much, it's fun and interesting to me. I think if you want something to be bang-on perfect out of the box you should stay away, but if you can overlook some of the less polished aspects and take the time to set it up just right, you'll most likely enjoy it.

For what it's worth, I also have 3 friends who have picked up Storms and they're all happy with their purchases.
    Last edited by Rhawb; 02-02-09 at 12:39 PM.
    02-02-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD