Does anyone have any information about any differences in speed or connection quality between using Shark Modem as opposed to the VZW tethering option?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 04:59 PM
    I have used sharkmodem on my old 8830 and it was slow, but if you don't need speed it is alot better prices than vzw teathering
    12-03-08 05:02 PM
    i have the sharkmodem, but ive never tried vzw tethering.
    shoot them questions, i dont mind.
    12-03-08 05:16 PM
    Shark Modem is DREADFULLY Sloooowwww. Don't waste your $50. Invest in a wifi finder to locate free hotspots. I can get to one or two pages on a website using Shark Modem. You're better off using the phone's browser.

I used PdaNet with a previous Palm Treo and that was a good program with speeds faster than dial up.
    12-04-08 07:21 PM
    i have the sharkmodem, but ive never tried vzw tethering.
    shoot them questions, i dont mind.
    I had to last night, my provider doing housekeeping, and I was impressed.
    Not as fast, but VERY acceptable. I would use it again in time of need.
    Now I got to call Verizon and see if this cost me anything more. It's all confusing. I'll report back w/my findings!
    12-09-08 02:31 PM
    I thought the reason to use sharkmodem was so that you didn't have to pay the extra $15 to Verizon so that you could use the tethering feature. This was a "cheating" workaround.
    12-09-08 02:48 PM
    what is sharkmodem? lol
    12-09-08 02:53 PM
    what is sharkmodem? lol
    mobishark.com

took me about 2 seconds to google the link for ya

i'm cranky cause my head hurts =)... but why ask a simple inane question and follow it with a lol?
    12-09-08 02:56 PM
    what is sharkmodem? lol
    Aka MobiShark: BlackBerry Application Store - How To - BlackBerry As A Wireless Modem

I've been using VZW tethering and it seems quite a bit faster than when I used SharkModem. However, the trial period definitely did NOT last 10 MBs, I think I barely got 1 MB before it told me the trial period was over. I figure I'm just going to pay Verizon's ridiculous $15 tethering charge because I got this phone because it works on 3G so I might as well take advantage of it!
    12-09-08 02:59 PM
    I thought the reason to use sharkmodem was so that you didn't have to pay the extra $15 to Verizon so that you could use the tethering feature. This was a "cheating" workaround.
    I agree! But, first I'm not aware of what modem this is, and what it's all about.
    I just posted this for informational reasons for people like me.
    BTW: Since I got the unlimited web/email pkg. I get 5GB/month free, and (dig this..) .25/MB after that. Woowwwww, that's a rip-off if I ever seen one!
    12-09-08 03:00 PM
    VZW Tethering works great. I've been as high as 2.4mbps download and 900 kbps upload. Other times its 900kbs/400kbs.
    12-09-08 03:17 PM
    What speeds are you getting with SM? Would it be good for light browsing, but say not ok for media streams? Or can it handle media streams.
    12-09-08 03:35 PM
    sharkmodem is fine but 4 max connections leaves alot to be desired. Besides, the desktop app needed to use shark modem is too slow for the four connections, so if the four connections are stuck connecting, you have to reset the modem. I suggest using an optimized version of firefox portable with ad and script blockers. Other than that, myspace doesn't load for some reason, but I've ony used shark modem for a few days. The only benefit of using it over Verison tethering is no 5gb limit.
    12-09-08 03:56 PM
    Invest in a wifi finder to locate free hotspots. I can get to one or two pages on a website using Shark Modem. You're better off using the phone's browser.
    No wifi on the Storm.
    12-09-08 04:50 PM
    No wifi on the Storm.
    Yeah, aint that a bummer? They really screwed up!
    Not really, they just money hungry. They are trying to make a go out of the G3 network, so they are trying to squeeze as much $ out of us as they can, while they can.
    12-09-08 08:46 PM
    HELP!!!!!

Using BB 8073e trying to send & receive E-mail using Outlook 2007. My provider is Verizon

Not having any luck.

Can anyone help me set this up?

Thanks,

Tom
    08-10-09 04:31 PM
    DO NOT BUY THE SHARK MODEM WHATEVER YOU DO!!! I ordered my Shark Modem on Monday, today is Friday. I have requested numerous times to get my handheld registration number to no avail. They have to go into your laptop remotely to reprogram it so the program even works, and by then your temporary program has expired.

DONT BUY SHARK MODEM WHATEVER YOU DO!!! This is the worst customer service coupled with the most hideously complex and frustrating program I have ever used.

DONT BUY SHARK MODEM UNLESS YOU HAVE A PHD IN COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND EVEN THEN YOU WILL NEVER EVER GET YOUR HANDHELD REGISTRATION NUMBER.
    09-18-09 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD