anyone having a problem with battery going dead very quickly after "upgrading" to 5.0? i used to get a couple of days of use on my Storm before and now the battery dies in less than 8 hours even if i'm not even using it. thanks
    11-01-09 07:46 AM
    Sorry, but my battery usage got better with the move to 5.0. Why not check some of your settings.
    11-01-09 08:19 AM
    My battery use improved with 5.0 also. I never could get a couple of days without a charge before and I doubt I could now. With a full charge in the morning, using 5.0, and moderate use during the course of the day, my battery is down by a bar. Not bad considering it was 50% by evening under the old 4.7
    11-01-09 08:30 AM
    Sorry, but my battery usage got better with the move to 5.0. Why not check some of your settings.

like what settings might i check? when i hold the BB key down i get that i have 6 programs running: home, phone, mail, browser, BB messenger, and clock. if i open the brwoser and click on close it still shows up in the open apps. i never use BB messenger and wonder if i show uninstall it somehow. but with only those open the phone is dying fast. i had a full charge last nite when i went to be and this morning the battery was complety dead, dead, dead.
    11-01-09 09:01 AM
    anyone having a problem with battery going dead very quickly after "upgrading" to 5.0? i used to get a couple of days of use on my Storm before and now the battery dies in less than 8 hours even if i'm not even using it. thanks
    Hmmm. Seems something on your phone needs to be re installed or deleted seeing how 5.0 improves power management.
    11-01-09 09:04 AM
    Sorry to double post...but FYI. I Started fresh with 5.0 and installed every app I like after the upgrade and a pull. Try reinstalling the free apps first and see what happens. My feeling is you need a new battery.
    11-01-09 09:07 AM
    Likewise, my battery life has deteriorated with the 5.0 OS upgrade....however, my battery performance has been going downhill and I'm wondering if I just need a new battery...the one I have is 9 months old now. I did a fair bit of extra re-booting trying to get everything set back up after the upgrade, so maybe that's taken a toll on the battery. But if I go to bed with a 65% charge the battery will be dead in the morning...I do have the phone set to reboot overnight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 09:34 AM
    For me, the battery drain was caused by the theme I was using. I ignored the advice to remove themes in multiple posts but finally decided to switch back to the default Precision Zen theme. Bingo - battery life back to excellent.

YMMV.
    11-01-09 09:35 AM
    I'm only using the stock theme unfortunately.

11-01-09 09:42 AM
    i THINK that i am using the default theme but don't know. how do i check? and how do i retore it to default? thanks
    11-01-09 10:29 AM
    I have been wanting to post on this for several weeks now, but never got to it. I was running the first leak of 5.0 on BES 4.1 for about a week. My company then got a BES 5 server and I switched to it. Immediately my battery life went to crap. About a week later it magically got better. Incredible battery life. I don't think anything changed. Just rebooted and it got better (I had rebooted before that, but that reboot fixed it for some reason).

Then .232 came out. Not being able to resist the fixes offered by that leak, I took the plunge. Back to crappy battery life. Never got better. Installed .238 now and its still horrible.

I've rebooted multiple times (including keeping the battery out for 5 minutes), removed lots of applications like Google Maps, Twitterberry and WeatherBug. The only thing I haven't done is try a completely fresh load. That's the next step, then I was planning on calling Verizon.
    11-01-09 10:30 AM
    by chance are you using stormslider (or whatever it is called these days?). If so, upgrade to the latest version. It was eating up the battery but a fix was put out for this.
    11-01-09 10:31 AM
    like what settings might i check?

Change your mobile network from global to 1XEV and turn the backlight down a bit. That should help you out some
    11-01-09 10:55 AM
    I too have seen a dramatic DECREASE in my battery life since the upgrade. This is a new phone/battery, purchased new at Verizon on 21 Aug 09. I haven't added any themes, learned my lesson on my old Curve, nor am I running anything that didn't come on the phone. The only downloads I've added are Quick Launch buttons for about 6-7 news sites I frequent, but without running anything on the browser, I'm getting about half a day before having to recharge the battery. During that half day, maybe 3-4 phone calls of 5 minutes or less, and maybe 10 SMS's, no MMS...and thats it. Battery just runs down like nothing I've seen before. Checked all of my settings, made several reboots...and still losing the battery in half a day. Before the upgrade, I made it through a normal business day with no problems. Finally, I've noticed that on just about every screen click, I get the spinning clock face for 1-4 seconds. That only happened prior to the upgrade when the phone was restarting...now its like have that tumbling hourglass or spinning beachball you get with Windows or Macs when they're running slow on processing speed.
    Last edited by steve64_64; 11-01-09 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More info added for troubleshooting help.
    11-01-09 11:25 AM
    global was on so i switched to 1XEV, hope that helps some. data services is ON. Network selection is on Automatic.
    11-01-09 11:28 AM
    Try changing your screen brightness down to under 50% and make sure auto dim is on and set to about 10 seconds or so. This will cut back on the energy your screen uses especially when you aren't using it.
    11-01-09 11:37 AM
    steve64_64 or martymann: Are either of you running on BES 5?
    11-01-09 05:48 PM
    On a more general note, the drain that I'm seeing is far beyond any power saving feature like backlight dimming. I take mine off the charger at 7am and by noon I'd better be looking for a charger an hour to get it charged. the phone seems sluggish, like some application is running and using the internet, or something. I keep mine in my holster whenever I'm not talking on it, and I've verified the back light turns off when in it.

In the brief time when it "recovered" after I first loaded the leaked 5.0 software, it was amazingly zippy and had fantastic battery life. this leads to believe that the battery is fine. Something else going on.

I'm headed to do a wipe and clean load to see what happens.
    11-01-09 05:56 PM
    Having same prob here, but running 4.5.160. Yestereday everthing was fine, charged ph all night and then it was almost dead a few hrs later after only a few texts???? The arrows are constantly going, like I'm downloading but I'm not running anything!! I checked!
    Help! Can't leave ph on charger 24-7!
    3040a215 pin thanks

11-01-09 07:21 PM
    I often carry a extra batt with me. That way, when one dies, I pop in the other. That way I don't worry about taking a charger with me. Try it.
    11-01-09 08:46 PM
    Yes, I'm experiencing the same problems as above. After the OS 5 load, I better have my charger ready or else....!!! Before I boarded the plane for aa 4-hour flight I had 50% charge... when I landed, the phone was dead. Of course I turned off the phone during flight. It has never been this bad, and even Bluetooth was OFF.
    11-01-09 09:14 PM
    Coupled with the decreased battery life as stated above, my camera works after a fresh reload - no third party apps - and the camera works for a few hours and then I get a ......camera cannot run...close down apps......

I cant get the camera working again unless I do a wipe and reload.

Battery pulls do not work.
    11-01-09 09:53 PM
    I have been using 5.0 for 3 days now and ever since the upgrade my battery does won't make it 8 hours. I have done all the usual tweeks to extend battery life and set up the connections for long life but this problem definitely has something to do with 5.0 upgrade.
    11-02-09 01:34 AM
    Getting almost 2 days out of my original Storm battery on 5.0 - Did a clean install and loaded my apps 1 at a time (5 apps) stock theme.
    11-02-09 05:52 AM
    krknopp: No, I'm not running BES 5.0.

I will note one other thing that makes me wonder if its a glitch with my phone and this upgrade: I've loaded one 3rd party app, Quick Pull Pro because I keep my Storm in a case and this makes it easy to simulate a battery pull without having to remove from the case. I go to the link given by Steelhorn, download the software and configure as per their instructions. Their last instruction is to do a manual battery pull after download/install.

I've done this 3 times now, and every time, after the battery pull, the software is gone off the phone...reload, manual battery pull and its gone again. It's like something internally is not quite right. Also, after last battery pull last night, all of my email from only yesterday, disappeared. All of my previous messages from the day before and ones I received after the pull were intact, but every email from yesterday, both work and personal are POOF gone.
    11-02-09 06:04 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD