Hello,

I have 2 somewhat unique problems that I hope someone can help me answer. The first is my ring tones/alerts options.

When I go to Sounds/Ring Tones/Alerts, for SMS, I use a ring tone that I downloaded from Crackberry. Any SMS text I receive will use this ring tone. The problem occurs when I customize my contacts to have a different ring tone so that I know who's texting me.

Once a contact is customized, it is automatically placed under Sounds/Set Contact Alerts. I have 8 contacts that I've assigned the same ring tone to. The ring tone does work for these 8 contacts, but the problem is that any other SMS text I receive also uses that same ring tone instead of the one I assigned under Sounds/Ring Tones/Alerts.

It seems the customized contacts have overidden the general ring tone/alerts SMS Text setting. Why is this happening?

My second problem lies with ESPN MVP. Prior to my Storm, I had an LG Voyager and ESPN MVP was a part of my plan. For those of you that don't know what it is, it was an application you download on to your phone from Verizon's VCast store that basically sends you alerts and updates on sports and your favorite teams that you choose.

I thought I had lost it since you couldn't install the app on the Storm, but I started receiving SMS texts from 79710 which turned out to be the ESPN alerts. Before I started customizing my contacts, the default ring tone I chose worked perfectly for ESPN MVP, but it's now using the custom ring tone assigned to my contacts.

I apologize for being long winded, but here are my 2 basic questions. How do I stop my custom ring tone for my contacts to override the default ring tone I set up in Sounds/Ring Tones/Alerts? Is it possible to add the 79710 ESPN number as a contact so that I can assign a custom ring tone?
    08-14-09 04:44 AM
    What you need to do is set up the custom tone for a contact in the address book under edit, then set your tone for SMS in the Sounds section.

Give that a try and see if that works. I had the same problem and thats what worked for me.
    08-14-09 04:50 AM
    First, make yourself a custom profile... Then go to your contacts in your address book and then set the ringtone for that specific person.
    08-14-09 07:25 AM
    Awesome! Creating a custom profile and then editing my contacts to assign a different ring tone for SMS works perfectly. Thanks!

Anyone have any ideas on how to add my ESPN MVP SMS text alerts as a contact so that I can assign a ring tone to it? 79710 is listed as the sender address.
    08-14-09 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD