Disagree.

There are multiple keyboards available, but why should I have to pay for a replacement keyboard? What's so hard about logically designing one in the first place?

The accelerometer seems snappier but the silly animations really make the speed equal if not inferior to the Storm.

I'll give you the default browser on the Omnia as it does appear a bit more advanced than the Storm's. That being said, navigation on that browser is a NIGHTMARE. Lots of small links clustered together ensures you will be hitting back over and over again until you get what you want. This is where the clicking screen of the Storm really shines.

Finally, there's the overall discombobulation of the device. It has a Samsung contacts manager and a Windows contact manager. It has a Samsung media player and Windows Media Player. It has its own proprietary browser and Internet Explorer. Some people will say "Great! It has options!". I will look at it in disgust and say "Why bother building it on the Windows platform if everyone dislikes Windows and are looking for alternate ways to navigate the OS and alternate programs to accomplish what they want?"

For all the criticism the Storm has received as a "not-ready-for-primetime-device", I'd say the Omnia fits the bill even more. Slapping on bandaids to hide the Windows Mobile sore just doesn't do it for me.

Why should you have to keep getting replacement Storms due to dust issues?
    Why should you have to loosen screws or put business cards in the battery compartment to alleviate typing issues?
    Why should you have worry about buttons falling off?
    Why should you have to do daily battery pulls?

The accelerometer on the Omnia has 6 diiferent options to choose from with regard to the animation, one of which is just like the Storm's, plain.

Navigation on Opera mobile is just fine. You double tap the screen or you slide your finger to zoom in and out. It follows links and opens them in a new tab, just like your PC. You can set it to block pop-ups or not, you can set it to use flash or not, it has options. You are not locked into doing things just one way.

Yes the Omnia has 2 different browsers and 2 media players, who wants a device where you are NOT given options?

The Omnia is full customizable that's the way any device should be.
    02-08-09 11:22 AM
    It really shouldn't influence your purchase decision but like others have mentioned, there's definitely a much larger Storm community online.

Lots of people who own other devices will join in our forums to chime in.

You'll rarely find it the other way around. A big reason is because there isn't as extensive an Omnia or Touch Pro community.
    You first two statements are very true.

Your last one isn't. There are many sites for the Omnia, one of which is ONLY for the Omnia not other WM devices.

I come here because I really wanted a Storm at first and changed my mind.
    I still come here because it's a decent community aside from all the misinformation provided about other devices.

I've said many times. I am not loyal to any device, manufacturer, or provider. If the Storm gets better, more customizable, and has many fewer hardware problems, I'd still like to have one.
    02-08-09 11:26 AM
    I have 0 replacements. I haven't touched my screws. I haven't inserted business cards. My buttons are just fine. I do battery pulls once every 2 weeks, if that.

Again, to the OP, I think the fact that others continue to come back despite not owning a Storm (or owned a Storm in the past and returned it, or were at one point interested in the Storm) says a lot about which device is "in". And which ones aren't.
    02-08-09 11:58 AM
    I'll have to agree with Pool_Shark on this in saying that WinMo has some great communities out there and there are a TON of cusom built ROMs for those devices. That being said I would also like to mention that I have usd both types of devices and while every once in a while I tend to try a newer WinMo device I always come back to my trusty Blackberry.
    02-08-09 12:09 PM
    Hello all,
    I am a current Verizon customer and I am considering picking up a BB Storm next Friday. I have played around with it in the VZ store and I really like it.

I have also been debating between the Samsung Omnia and the HTC Touch Pro. I am very profecient with Windows on PC though I have no experiance with Windows Mobile or BB's.

I will be paying full retail for my new phone, and it is expencive so I want to make sure to pick the one I will be happy with.

I will use the email features, but not heavily. I want a good PDA type phone with good entertainment options and web browsing (Games, YouTube, Facebook, etc...OEM or 3rd party)

I know there are threads already comparing the Storm to the above phones but could not find one from recently.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

(( Sorry for the typo in the titile!! ))
    I wanted the omnia, but after 5 min. Trying to got windows mobile to do any thing I got the storm and loved it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 12:12 PM
    I thought long and hard about these phones as well. Ultimately the Omnia was too hard to use - not that I couldn't figure it out but the icons, etc. were too small to use. There's a reason samsung gives you a stylus...and honestly, who wants to carry around a separate stylus? Add to that the unimpressive screen and it's no surprise people prefer the storm.

I think if Samsung hadn't relied on WinMo and had done their own OS this phone probably would have been a winner. The camera is great, size/feel are great, and the specs are impressive. But in the end it's WinMo, the crappy keyboard, and the lackluster screen that will send people to other phones. At every verizon store i went to, when I asked about the omnia I got this funny face from the rep...that says it all.
    02-08-09 12:18 PM
    Why should you have to keep getting replacement Storms due to dust issues?
    Why should you have to loosen screws or put business cards in the battery compartment to alleviate typing issues?
    Why should you have worry about buttons falling off?
    Why should you have to do daily battery pulls?
    Short answer- I don't worry about any of those things. I'm on my first Storm. I did have two POS Omnia over the course of a month though. The first would only let me use 2.7 of the 8gb on "My Storage" (a well known problem on modaco and hofo) and the second crashed every single day (hardly a learning curve problem).

I use "wires" because I care about sound quality. BT headphones don't deliver close to the same fidelity as decent headphones and they further lower your Omnia's weak battery life.

I tried everything with that thing. I used SPB mobile shell, m2d, WAD. I tried spb's keyboard after trying a couple free ones. I did all the registry hacks, etc.

The official youtube app (which works on the Storm) is a lot nicer than youtubeplay.

If you like your Omnia, that's great. I hated it. I thought you were speaking from having had a Storm, not just having tried it at a store.

btw- I don't understand why someone would lurk around CB forums without having one. I certainly don't hang around xda, modaco, or samsung-omnia.org telling people how much their phone sucks.
    02-08-09 12:29 PM
    Touch pro on VZW is crippled very bad. Compare its specs with the one from sprint or the "fuze" from at&t. its the same thing. I had the omnia for 3 days and took it back. its a joke of a device, and the Omnia they have overseas kicks its ****. Of the 3 phones you're looking at BB is the way to go. I've used em all and I'd have nothing but the Storm.
    02-08-09 12:55 PM
    just try them all out and decide i was new to pdas and bbs too but every windows mobile device ive seen was slow and looked outdated and extremely hard to use imo so i suggest the storm it is really the first truly user friendly bb and it is packed with things for business users and those of us that arent lol
    02-08-09 01:21 PM
    I had a Storm for a month and a half. I had multiple issues, didn't want to get another replacement and it been in the same condition. So I tried out the Omnia. I'm not crazy about this one either. It's... okay. The camera is amazing. I love the phone simply for the camera... That's about it.

I've been a long time BB user but I've used WinMo in the past as well. Neither are a learning curve for me. But I would get the Storm over the Omnia if they can guarantee a perfect Storm and not the crap I once had.
    02-08-09 01:48 PM
    The Omnia does not hold a candle to the Storm! I went thru 3 in 5 days. It (they) had the weakest cell signal EVER! The onscreen keyboards (as posted earlier) are awful and battery life is terrible. Windows Mobile Pro is a terrible touchscreen OS. I would go running back to my Moto Q9's with no touchscreen before I went to an Omnia.

If you really want a Touch Pro, buy the Sprint at full retail and do the hacks to make it work on Verizon. The Verizon one is pretty lame compared with the Sprint version.
    02-08-09 02:21 PM
    ...you'll see that the Omnia just doesn't hold a candle to the Storm.

What happens if the Omnia puts its candle next to the Storm?
    02-08-09 02:25 PM
    Play with the Omnia and the Storm extensively before making a decision. The Omnia has a lot of WAY cool features, including WiFi and the accelerometer is so fast it would certainly seem to bounce off the walls to storm users.
    The storm definitely has a MUCH better display, and does email worlds better than the Omnia.

It all comes down to what you want out of a phone.
    02-08-09 02:26 PM
    I have had 3 Storms since December and am trying to get out of it now. Funny thing is the other 2 phones mentioned in this post are the ones I considered. I think I will go back to the Touch Pro and use a 'cooked' ROM and an extended battery.
    02-08-09 02:32 PM
    What happens if the Omnia puts its candle next to the Storm?
    That's arson
    02-08-09 02:39 PM
    Hello all,
    I am a current Verizon customer and I am considering picking up a BB Storm next Friday. I have played around with it in the VZ store and I really like it.

I have also been debating between the Samsung Omnia and the HTC Touch Pro. I am very profecient with Windows on PC though I have no experiance with Windows Mobile or BB's.

I will be paying full retail for my new phone, and it is expencive so I want to make sure to pick the one I will be happy with.

I will use the email features, but not heavily. I want a good PDA type phone with good entertainment options and web browsing (Games, YouTube, Facebook, etc...OEM or 3rd party)

I know there are threads already comparing the Storm to the above phones but could not find one from recently.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

(( Sorry for the typo in the titile!! ))
    I had a windows mobile phone before I purchased my storm... let me tell you first hand that windows mobile isn't even in the same league as blackberry... as most convicts say "I'M NOT GOIN BACK!" lol...
    02-08-09 02:47 PM
    Seriously, who designs this? Hideous, outdated, AND illogical.

Omnia keyboard:

Geez, that is ugly :/
    02-08-09 03:03 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help!

I went to the VZ store today after work and tried to play around with their Storm they have on display but it has just been too abused (Was some little kids playing with it as I walked up) and was s-l-o-w.

I know it uses 3g and 3g is pretty quick.

Looks like I will be paying $500 for my Storm this weekend.
    02-08-09 06:41 PM
    Storm all the way! =)
    02-08-09 06:47 PM
    Storm without a doubt!

02-08-09 07:11 PM
    stylus.....NOT!
    02-08-09 07:52 PM
    Blackberry all the way. Verizon has the 30 day trial so if you end up not liking the storm which I doubt will happen just return it. I love the bb but that doesn't mean you will. The best advice would be to go with your heart on this one. Good luck

02-08-09 08:11 PM
    man i went through your same issue bad.

i loved winmo too, so unlike most here, i was drawn even more to the omnia and touch pro because of winmo. i had thought i prefered winmo over bb big time. turns out i was wrong

but dont forget the saga. the saga was also on my list, a descent phone with a full qwerty. i miss having buttons to type on. typing on the storm is rough.

but i ended up with the storm and kept the storm, because if you use those other devices, they just dont compare.
    02-08-09 08:12 PM
    stylus.....NOT!
    lol funny thing is, stylus is not that bad to me..

but omnia has... ready for it....

EXTERNAL STYLUS ONLY!

yes thats right, you get a mascara looking stylus that you have to carry seperte.

i can deal with an internal stored stylus like the nice magnetic one on the HTC touch pro.
    02-08-09 08:18 PM
    I own(ed) all three. They all have their pluses and minus. Here's a quick run down from what I can tell:

BB Storm
    Pros:
    -Awesome messaging, including integrated IM
    -High-res screen, fairly easy to type on
    -Headphone jack
    -Fairly standard, quick access micro-usb connector

Cons:
    -Not the slightest bit reliable, unlike all other preceding BBs
    -Not as open to hacks as WM

Omnia
    Pros:
    -Awesome phone quality (some of the best sound quality I've heard from a cell phone)
    -Great size
    -Lots of features & integrated apps(fm radio, tv-out, wifi, etc.)
    -Touchpad navigation, makes selecting links on web sites easy

Cons:
    -Windows Mobile
    -No integrated stylus and not all of the applications are finger friendly
    -Screen is a little cramped and hard to type on and the lack of a hidden stylus doesn't help the situation
    -Touchpad navigation, not very accurate in non-mouse mode
    -Verizon Customizations
    -Stupid POS Samsung charging port that is hidden under a little flap of plastic that is impossible to get open.....this is great if you only had to access the port once a week, but it's more likely to be a daily thing....so why make it nearly impossible to charge?!?

Touch Pro
    Pros:
    -Awesome screen, fairly response too for not being capacitive
    -Qwerty keyboard
    -Integrated stylus

Cons:
    -Windows Mobile
    -Crapola battery life (couldn't get through a day w/o charging)
    -Verizon Customizations
    -Headphone adapter

Honestly I think the only reason I'm still with the Storm is the fact that the GPS isn't locked and the fact that the IM messaging clients are "always on". If WM had better integrated messaging system I'd probably go with it since I can always hack the GPS and do pretty much whatever I want with the device.
    Last edited by rrife; 02-08-09 at 08:42 PM.
    02-08-09 08:39 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD