Due to my company's security policy, we all have to set passwords on our Blackberrys with a 10 minute auto-lock. Although i understand the premise, the security time-out can get a bit annoying especially if i am watching a movie, using maps/gps or applications like trapster. So, with that said, is there a setting anywhere on a blackberry where applciations such as video players, google maps, trapsters can override the security timer? That way if I am watching a 2-hr movie, or using maps, the phone wont auto lock..... I've searched the forums but have found nothing.

BTW I have a BB Storm running 5.0.0.323.

Does anyone have any idea what "Security Timer Reset" and "Display Information while locked" options do under Options->Applications->APP-> Edit Permissions->Interactions? These are always set to DENY.
    Last edited by jrod.65; 10-25-09 at 03:38 PM.
    10-25-09 03:31 PM
    Unfortunately due to security I dont think it can be overriden. I think your best bet would be to tap the screen every once and a while when using the app or movie and keep it from thinking that there is no activity on the deviice.
    10-25-09 03:32 PM
    So your on BES? If not, I would think you can just turn off the autolock by yourself lol.
    10-25-09 03:58 PM
    Yes I'm on BES and I need to keep the auto lock enabled; disabling it is not an option. The only application that does what I am describing is the core phone application. If you are on a call, the phone either remains locked in the background (incoming) or does NOT lock even after the security timer expires. This allows the phone app to remain active in the foreground.
    10-25-09 04:18 PM
    No way to override. You can either get off BES or convince your admin to change your policy.
    10-25-09 04:35 PM
    So you can change your OS but you cant stop something from AutoLock. Im not calling you out or anything. I just wanted to know
    10-25-09 04:41 PM
    Guys, its pretty obvious that if i disable auto-lock my issues go away. That's a no brainer and that is not the answer i was hoping to get (hence "experts needed" in the title). Yes, my admin allows me to upgrade the OS. He actually helped. The one thing he cannot do is allow me to do is disable auto lock. I completely agree with him. Security policies are there for a reason.

Thank you drm2blv and buxleyp for your input.
    Last edited by jrod.65; 10-25-09 at 05:06 PM.
    10-25-09 05:00 PM
    I would first of all suggest leaving all your company settings intact. You could easily lose your job for tampering with the security settings if it ever resulted in a loss to the company.

Here is my suggestion, turn your convenience keys off and then press one once in a while while watching a movie. It won't do anything on the screen at all, but the phone registers it as activity, and therefore resets the timer.

The way to turn off the convenience keys is to go options, screen/keyboard options, then set them to "none" in the drop down menu. I personally did this because I kept hitting them while just holding the phone and randomly launching the camera or voice dial. I only use voice dial with my BT headset, and of course that still works. Then I set my camera button right on the home screen so its still easy to launch when I want it quickly.
    10-25-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD