im putting songs on my SD card that comes with the storm and an 8GiG should hold about 1750 songs based on the average 3 minute song...but for some reason i only have 900 songs on and i dont even have 1 GiG of space left...am i doing somthing wrong ? please help cause its kinda annoying
    01-02-09 07:35 PM
    What is the file size of these songs? Do you have pictures and videos stored n the card as well? Did you format the card in the device before putting songs on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 07:45 PM
    I have 692 songs plus album art that uses 2.94G so something is off. Do a battery pull then go to options>media card and see what it says. If it's still not right you may need to move all media off, format the card and put it back.
    01-02-09 07:48 PM
    What is the file size of these songs? Do you have pictures and videos stored n the card as well? Did you format the card in the device before putting songs on?

No videos or pictureswell the picturesare on the device memory...and how do i format the card?
    01-03-09 12:39 AM
    I have 692 songs plus album art that uses 2.94G so something is off. Do a battery pull then go to options>media card and see what it says. If it's still not right you may need to move all media off, format the card and put it back.
    yeah i didt a batt pull and i deleted all of the songs and then put them back on nothing changed...the first storm i had did the same thing i thought it was maybe just the phone but now i got this new one and still the same thing...i dont get it...all the songs are in mp3 format should it be diffrent???
    01-03-09 12:41 AM
    Check the bitrates of your mp3s. When a company estimates how many mp3 will fit onto their removable media cards, the standard is using 128kbps and 3 minutes mp3s.

01-03-09 01:07 AM
    Check the bitrates of your mp3s. When a company estimates how many mp3 will fit onto their removable media cards, the standard is using 128kbps and 3 minutes mp3s.

yeah i know the 3 minute part but i never checked the bitrate im gonna check it now

well i just checked and the bit rates are all over the place some are like 150 to liek 360...i guess thats my problem? is it because i download all my music in torrents files??
    Last edited by appleikiller; 01-03-09 at 01:19 AM.
    01-03-09 01:16 AM
    well i just checked and the bit rates are all over the place some are like 150 to liek 360...i guess thats my problem? is it because i download all my music in torrents files??
    This is common when you get music from torrents. Each person may rip the music at different bitrates depending on what they think sounds best. Most of the time i see them at either 192 or 256 so that they are closest to cd quality. A lot of the songs that I have are from my cd collection but the ones that aren't i have redone to the 128 bitrate. The reason for this is that on the storm I can't really tell the difference in bitrate even when using a headset. The manufactures of removable media also think the same thing, that is why they use 128kbps as the standard.

Last edited by ArmaK; 01-03-09 at 01:44 AM.
    01-03-09 01:42 AM
    All my MP3's that I rip (and all the songs on the Storm) are done at 192 bit rate. FWIW, I have 400 songs loaded on and they take up 2.25 GB. When I had 1300 songs loaded they took up 7.7 GB, IIRC, which I think is more than the available space on an 8 GB card after format (I have the 16 GB card). No 1750 songs could fit on at that bit rate!
    01-03-09 02:22 AM
    All my MP3's that I rip (and all the songs on the Storm) are done at 192 bit rate. FWIW, I have 400 songs loaded on and they take up 2.25 GB. When I had 1300 songs loaded they took up 7.7 GB, IIRC, which I think is more than the available space on an 8 GB card after format (I have the 16 GB card). No 1750 songs could fit on at that bit rate!
    I have 1991 mp3's of bitrate 128 on my storm currently taking up 6.89 GB of an 8GB microsd, so it is possible to have that many songs on the card.

Song List on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by ArmaK; 01-03-09 at 03:12 AM.
    01-03-09 03:01 AM
    This is common when you get music from torrents. Each person may rip the music at different bitrates depending on what they think sounds best. Most of the time i see them at either 192 or 256 so that they are closest to cd quality. A lot of the songs that I have are from my cd collection but the ones that aren't i have redone to the 128 bitrate. The reason for this is that on the storm I can't really tell the difference in bitrate even when using a headset. The manufactures of removable media also think the same thing, that is why they use 128kbps as the standard.

and there is no way to lower the bit rate somehow is there?
    01-03-09 09:00 AM
    you can use different audio converters to lower the bitrate to standered 128kbps. but is it just me or do i not notice a difference between 128 and 256 bitrate.
    01-03-09 09:50 AM
    you can use different audio converters to lower the bitrate to standered 128kbps. but is it just me or do i not notice a difference between 128 and 256 bitrate.
    what programs can i use to get it at 128 bitrate.....and i dont really notice a diff either i have both bitrates but most of them are high
    01-03-09 12:10 PM
    I like LAME the best. I encode all my CDs at vbr 2, which roughly equates to 180-220kbps depending on the song.

And I can tell the difference between 128kbps cbr, 192 vbr, and 320 cbr, even when using the Storm.
    01-03-09 12:54 PM
    I like LAME the best. I encode all my CDs at vbr 2, which roughly equates to 180-220kbps depending on the song.

And I can tell the difference between 128kbps cbr, 192 vbr, and 320 cbr, even when using the Storm.

thanx man ill give it a shot and see how it works
    01-03-09 04:19 PM
    Yes, I'm a newbie.........and one who never owned an IPOD. So, this technology of portable music is new to me. I have no clue about how to download a song from the internet. But, here's my question:

I've got about 192 songs (transferred right from my CD's) on my Storm, which came with an 8GB card. Since each song is approx. 50 MB I appear to have filled my card (since I'm getting an error message that my card has no more space). Have I done something wrong? I figured I could put many more songs on it and am bummed. I did not know about formatting the card and so I didn't do that first. Might that give me more memory or is it the way I'm transferring the files? All the files are in WAV format as recommended on the Roxio Media Mgr., but I have been choosing the "Convert For Optimal Playback" selection when transferring the files. Perhaps in this way I am inadvertently enlarging the file size?

Oh, if you tell me to format the card, I should do a back-up first, right? And, here's a question I'm not sure about...are all my contacts stored on the card or elsewhere. I can cope if I lose the songs, but I'd be sick if I lost my contacts.
    04-11-09 07:19 PM
    You need more knowledge about music formats. mp3, wmv, etc. was developed primarily to make wav files smaller. wav format is your problem. You need to convert your music files. Someone suggested a coverter in an earlier post. Pick up on that. I bought one years ago so I don't think you want to buy one when there are good free ones available.
    04-11-09 07:46 PM
    I think those memory cards are already formatted. Memory available is always less than what the label says and I know there is a story behind that. I have a 16 gig card and it says 14.8 available. I formatted the card with the phone and it made no difference with what was displayed or what I put on it.
    04-11-09 08:00 PM
    To the OP, if you use the Roxio Media Manager from your Device manager, you can set it to convert the MP3's on the fly as it copies them to your phone, so keep the higher bit-rate files on your computer. Set Media Manager to convert them to 128k when transferred to the phone.

Hope this helps.
    04-11-09 09:49 PM
    I think those memory cards are already formatted. Memory available is always less than what the label says and I know there is a story behind that. I have a 16 gig card and it says 14.8 available. I formatted the card with the phone and it made no difference with what was displayed or what I put on it.
    It has to do (in part) with the nature of binary files and marketing. A kilobyte is actually 1024 bytes, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, and a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes. Disk manufacturers tend to list capacities in terms of "millions of bytes" however. So for their advertized size, a kilobyte is 1000 bytes, megabyte is 1000 kilobytes, etc. So the advertised capacity is larger than what you actually get.

There's more to it than this, as there is also overhead from the formatting used (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc). But that's the basic explanation.
    04-11-09 09:55 PM
    It seems that you songs are getting converted to a very high bitrate that is why you are seeing a 50MB size for the files. Each file should be ideally around 3 MB to 5 MB tops. I currently have the 16 GB micro sd in my storm and I have 2093 songs, 5 movies and a couple pictures and still have 6.2 GB left. If you look in the early posts in this thread, you can see that I had 1991 songs on my storm with the 8 GB card. I suggest converting the files to a lower bitrate such as 128 kbps.

04-11-09 10:22 PM
    Thank you so much! I went back and looked at the Roxio Media Import "Capture Settings" and realized that I had choices as you all described. They are as follows:

iPod - AAC (good quality)
    MP3 - (good quality)
    MP3 - (HighMAT Compliant)
    MP3 - (low quality)
    WAV - (Recommended) **this is where I got in trouble
    WMA - (good quality)
    WMA - (low quality)

I followed the "recommendations" and indvertently chose the largest file size (thanks Roxio). Why would they do that? For someone like me with no experience, you would naturally follow the recommended selection, right?

Can you suggest which file type is better between MP3 (good quality) and WMA (good quality)? Is there a reason to choose one vs. the other? Again, I'm transferring my tunes right from CD's. Oh, and if I hear you correctly, I could put a 16GB card in my Storm if I wanted to?

Thanks again, all.
    04-12-09 06:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD