So, I've had pretty bad luck with my blackberry Storms, first one i got had a glitch that it would shut down within 4 hours or so of charging, regardless of if it was on or not, so Verizon got me a new one, sorta. I got a 'certified used' storm, and its worked ok aside from issues with the display and recently the touch screen, which is what i'm worried about

Constant problems:
    -when I flip the blackberry from vert to horizontal, the screen will change, but it will stay in the old format with white space where it should now be filled.
    -Camera would stop working within 10 minutes of turning on for about a month, then the problem went away, dunno.

New bigger issue.
    -Screen will freeze for a few seconds occasionally, and i noticed as i texted today, pressing the around the T and R buttons the keyboard would go away and the message would scroll to the top, and the freeze, the 'system restart' give me a blank message. then the space stopped working, ect.

So is this omen to get a new blackberry or is this simply because I haven't updated the OS in about a month or something. I've done bat pulls every few days, but this is ridiculous. and of course i'm now past the 90 day satisfaction guaranteed.... all my friends love their storms, maybe the Blackberry Gods are just punishing me or something. never had issues with other phones and I take good care of my stuff since phones are expensive.

Thanks in advance.
    02-24-10 07:53 PM
    definetly update the os and see what happenss. if your not running some version of 5.0 then you need to right away
    Im running 5.0.0.419 and it was an official update not a leaked update you might find on crackberry. Try updating your os and it should fix the problem. As for the white bar thing it is a common issue with all storms moving from landscape to portrate for some reason mine has stoped tho maybe due to my wallpaper who knows.
    good luck with the storm its a great phone with 5.0
    02-24-10 10:22 PM
    definetly update the os and see what happenss. if your not running some version of 5.0 then you need to right away
    Im running 5.0.0.419 and it was an official update not a leaked update you might find on crackberry. Try updating your os and it should fix the problem. As for the white bar thing it is a common issue with all storms moving from landscape to portrate for some reason mine has stoped tho maybe due to my wallpaper who knows.
    good luck with the storm its a great phone with 5.0
    Sorry to be a pain but can you post the link to that OS please? I'm like Joseph Fritzl with kids when it comes to updating my OS lol I've tried so many "leaked" versions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 11:33 PM
    Are you running a theme? An incompatible theme can cause your screen problem I believe. Not sure if it's the exact same issue, but it sounds familiar. For the OS read the OS sub forum and the tips, tricks, whatever sub forum for info about upgrading to a non Verizon released OS and all that. Everything you need to know is in those sub forums. As for where to get the OS just go to the BlackBerry website and go to the OS downloads page and look for MTS Mobility. They will have the .419 OS available there.
    02-25-10 12:07 AM
    I'm running the older Storm 1 and just hate it because the mac desktop manager destroys the phone OS during data syncs. That said, I'm still running the old 4.7.0.128 OS version and even when I had the 5.0 version I was still having lots of problems with the Storm.
    Although the OS has lots of problems... general bluetooth hangs when sending large files etc... and the phone itself generally just hangs from a lack of useable processor power.
    This can cause all sorts of weird errors and problems. RIM should have known that going to a more graphic oriented OS requires more horse power. The Storm is a wimp and just cannot function much of the time due to this limitation.
    Last night it took 10 minutes to post a tweet because the Storm was in one of those non-responsive modes. There are tons of memory leaks and suddenly I'll find most of the application memory is filled up because items are not removed from memory when you close down programs.
    Yes, this is what we buy into when we buy a Storm... As David Pogue so eliquently put it... the Storm is RIM's dud.
    When you run into those problems go into options/memory and see how much useable memory you have left. You can change the options (I would) and make the memory cleaner visible so you can click on it in the applications folder to clear up some of the leftover memory garbage.
    02-25-10 01:31 PM
    I'm running the older Storm 1 and just hate it because the mac desktop manager destroys the phone OS during data syncs.
    Mac DM does absolutely nothing to the OS when you sync your data, or back up, or restore. You really need to research the function of "Sync" in Mac's DM.

That said, I'm still running the old 4.7.0.128 OS version and even when I had the 5.0 version I was still having lots of problems with the Storm.
    Bluetooth worked just fine for me when I had 4.7.0.122, 4.7.0.151, and 5.0.0.230 on all 3 of my Storms.

Although the OS has lots of problems... general bluetooth hangs when sending large files etc... and the phone itself generally just hangs from a lack of useable processor power.
    It utilizes the processor just fine. In fact, open a bunch of apps and you can actually feel the processor heating up right near your speaker. 'Unutilized processors' don't get hot.

This can cause all sorts of weird errors and problems. RIM should have known that going to a more graphic oriented OS requires more horse power. The Storm is a wimp and just cannot function much of the time due to this limitation.
    RIM wouldn't make a whole new OS for one phone model.

Last night it took 10 minutes to post a tweet because the Storm was in one of those non-responsive modes. There are tons of memory leaks and suddenly I'll find most of the application memory is filled up because items are not removed from memory when you close down programs.
    OS versions and applications cause memory leaks, not the actual phone. Unless you start to see RAM chips oozing out of your speakerphone, you need to change OS' or seek out a third party application to help you figure what application is crippling your phone.

Yes, this is what we buy into when we buy a Storm... As David Pogue so eliquently put it... the Storm is RIM's dud.
    When you run into those problems go into options/memory and see how much useable memory you have left. You can change the options (I would) and make the memory cleaner visible so you can click on it in the applications folder to clear up some of the leftover memory garbage.
    Memory cleaner only does so much for flash memory, and if you're doing it daily, it does next to nothing. I think you need to do some serious research about your phone. Why you're running such an archaic OS, and one that wasn't even good to begin with at that, is mind boggling at best. As most of the Storm owning community is aware, the best two OS versions of 4.7 available are 4.7.0.151 and 4.7.0.167. Why you would run anything except either (or 5.0) is completely beyond me. Maybe it's out of fear of screwing up your phone, but 90% of your negative experience is caused by outdated software, an uneducated user, and a seeming lack of will to move onto better, less buggy options.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 02-25-10 at 02:39 PM.
    02-25-10 02:29 PM
    Glitch has the answer for everything lol. I totally agree with glitch, lock this thread up ASAP!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD