Let me precursor this thread with the statement that my phone has been FLAWLESS for nearly a year. This serious problem I just had only took place yesterday afternoon, however as far as issues go this would rank as pretty serious.

What's happening is that the phone won't recognize a "click" input for anything, i.e. I can't open up Email or Messenger. The hard buttons work so I can use the BB key to get me into the full screen but can't open the options window (for example). But the screen still responds to touch because it will highlight any of the icons that I'm attempting to open and swiping/scrolling still fuctions. The accelerometer still works and I can access the phone screen; can even receive calls because somebody phoned me while the phone has been in this condition.

I've performed numerous battery pulls, I downgraded the System, I reloaded .419, I wiped the device and then reloaded an OS... I've done just about everything I can think of to remedy the issue. Which leads me to believe it's a hardware problem.

Because after the system reinstalls I can't click through any of the introductory windows I can't get to "Manage Connections" in order to turn on the wireless network; thus I can't send/receive anything to the phone including any service bulletins which may help me.

Phone is still under warranty so I will be getting it replaced as this issue seems to be permanent and unrepairable-by-me. I had no forewarning or indication that my Storm was about to fail. I was in the middle of a BBM conversation when the typing input/response begun to lag considerably and it got to a point where click-input was very sporratic. I managed to limp my way out of BBM but I didn't get very far before I couldn't open any other windows/programs. And that's how she exists at this point... pity, like I said this particular phone had been VERY good to me for almost a year.

I realize this post is long and likely doesn't apply to most of the users here, but I'm submitting it in order to create a history of occurrence so that somebody Searching a similar issue would have a bit of reference material.
    03-07-10 01:35 PM
    im on number 6 because of this issue
    the storm 2 has 4 sensors instead of one so it seems to have fixed the issue
    03-07-10 03:25 PM
    Would the business card "fix" or the torx "fix" work here?

My daily Storm is getting a bit "mushy" when clicked, too. Getting worse over time.
    03-07-10 06:21 PM
    You are nearing replacement. My screen stopped clicking last month. I would click on something and the screen would press down but not pop back up. I tried the torq and business card trick. I think the spring just wore out after a year of use. I took it to a VZW store. The rep took one look at it and gave me another Storm.
    03-07-10 09:01 PM
    **UPDATE**

phone decided to return to normal operating condition yesterday afternoon. Just as easily/quickly as it failed my storm "fixed" itself and now it's as though nothing was ever wrong.

I do agree with TestaVette though that the mere occurrence of this event does imply that the screen is on its way out. From other readings it seems that people have begun to have click-response issues in & around the 1yr mark, so my guess is it's only a matter of time before I run into a second failure. For now I will simply keep more frequent backups and prepare for the day when my screen dies again, at which point I think I'll just get a new Storm1. It would be pertinent for anyone (including myself) in a similar predicament to be aware of how long they still have in the warranty period.
    03-08-10 02:37 PM
    I thought this thread was titled "Screen only responds to click input", I was about to lose it!

Sucks to hear about your Storm, though. Hopefully your next one, whenever it is, doesn't have the same issue.
    03-08-10 02:55 PM
    What would it cost to get that replaced ?

[Question from a unlocked Storm user.]
    03-08-10 03:24 PM
    I went through this a couple weeks ago. One day it went bizerk....then it was working the next... After a week or so.. it happened again and then stopped working. I went to the store and it was replaced. I'm now on my 3rd storm. The same thing happened both times.

The bad news is...now my phone doesn't ring when someone calls. It makes a weird beep and really quietly plays the ringtone for about 1.5 seconds and then drops the call. I missed 6 calls today! This sucks.
    03-08-10 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD