Ok, so this is my first post on here but i have been following a lot of the topics about my blackberries.

Currently i have a storm that recently found its way from my hand to the floor at a bar a week or 2 ago. when my phone hit the floor it seemed to be alright, the screen came off the surepress plate but i was able to put it back in place with seemingly no damage. after a few days the screen started freaking out; the colors would invert and i would get crazy lines running through the screen.

now a few people recommended ordering a screen from cnn.cn and i just got my screen today... the weird thing now is that the screen has no color contrast really. all the parts that should be a dark black have a grayish color to them and there seems to be a scrolling line through all the white background.

my main concern is that my original screen is different from both types of the screen cnn sells. the model number on my ribbon cable was lcd 16693-001 ls033b3ux01.

the screen i ordered is the type one but the model is slightly different. lcd 16693-014 ls033b3ux01. no where that i searched could even tell me about the 001 screen almost as if it doesnt exist, so my question is does anyone on here know of a different type of screen other than the 2 that are sold at cnn.cn?
    05-27-09 05:22 PM
    Do you have insurance on your phone? If so use it!! Will say you the hassle.
    05-27-09 05:27 PM
    actually i dont have insurance, i have an unlocked storm on t mobile. i wish they could provide me with insurance for my phone lol
    05-27-09 05:33 PM
    anyone else have any ideas? could it be possibly a software issue? could i need to reload the os? kinda like when upgrading a processor in a computer?
    05-27-09 06:12 PM
    Maybe the socket on the board where the ribbon cable attaches is what was damaged, and not the screen assembly itself? If so, could require a system board replacement.

EDIT: And you DON'T need to reload the OS on a PC when you change processors, nowadays even going between a uniprocessor HAL and a multiprocessor HAL is generally painless and transparent to the end user (assuming Windows), Windows does its thing and the new processor is supported by the current install.
    05-27-09 07:13 PM
    Maybe the socket on the board where the ribbon cable attaches is what was damaged, and not the screen assembly itself? If so, could require a system board replacement.
    That sounds almost expensive enough to just go and buy a new phone.
    05-27-09 07:15 PM
    thanks for the note on the proc install. i just remember having it happen to me years ago. but either way. i think you may be right about the system board being messed up. it doesnt look to be damaged in any way but then again i dont have microscopic vision.

you know of any places i could get the board? or is the system board too expensive to replace?
    05-27-09 07:43 PM
    most likely better off just getting a new phone or try ebay for a broken screen storm and just swap parts
    05-27-09 10:53 PM
    thanks for the note on the proc install. i just remember having it happen to me years ago. but either way. i think you may be right about the system board being messed up. it doesnt look to be damaged in any way but then again i dont have microscopic vision.

you know of any places i could get the board? or is the system board too expensive to replace?
    I'd recommend a replacement device, I don't even know if you'd be able to purchase a system board, maybe a Storm with a broken display off of ebay? I'm thinking that what happened was when the screen seperated from the surepress plate, it put lateral force on the ribbon and bent some of the tiny "pins" in the socket. (or the one of the layers of the PCB cracked and is causing intermittent problems - this actually makes more sense since the device worked fine at first - maybe as the PCB heated up the crack expanded and caused the problem to manifest itself)
    05-27-09 11:18 PM
    well after the screen first started messing up, it seemed that if i pressed on "just the right spot" and held that down the screen looked and worked fine., also leading me back to the first post.

Could i have gotten the wrong screen, my original as compared to the new...

LCD 16693-001

LCD 16693-014

i searched everywhere and still havent found anything relating to my original screen number, my friend has a storm that had other issues (sd card slot) and it is still lying around her house, Im gonna look at her screen on that phone and see if the numbers are different, if so maybe i just got a "first release" or something.

P.S. I know that using the screen from that phone first would have been most profitable, but shes a few cities away and only comes up here from time to time. it only took a day and a half for fedex to get me my screen from china.
    05-28-09 01:19 AM
    Hi, Im just wondering if you got the screen to work, I am facing the exact same problem, my screen is 001 but cant find it, will the 014 work? thanks
    09-07-09 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD