so i woke up this morning and my phone was fine, about a half hour ago i got a text and went to look at it and noticed my screen spider cracked and is getting bigger in the upper right portion of teh screen. The screen has tons of dust on under it, pretty much cant see anything in the middle its that bad. Do you guys think the dust could have caused it? I plan on going into verizon tomorrow, what do you think they will do? I dont have the insurance on it cuz i am very careful with my phones and never really figured i'd need it.

Thanks
    04-12-09 01:04 PM
    I dont have the insurance on it cuz i am very careful with my phones and never really figured i'd need it.Thanks
    Wow! Good luck with that one! How long have you had the phone? I used the feel the same way about insurance until I had a phone stolen from me a while ago. Accidents do happen.
    04-12-09 01:08 PM
    i have had it since december, dust has gotten worse and worse, iw as gonna go into talk to them about it this week actually but now i have a bigger issue and it sgonna totally seem like i dropped it which sucks
    04-12-09 01:17 PM
    basically ur screwed dude good luck
    04-12-09 01:19 PM
    does anyone know what could have caused this? the only thing i can think of is the dust causing weird pressures on the screen...but idk
    04-12-09 01:23 PM
    just call vzw and tell them about all the dust under your screen and have them ship you a new phone, then return the old one and pray you wont be hit with the cost of the phone~!
    04-12-09 01:48 PM
    so i woke up this morning and my phone was fine, about a half hour ago i got a text and went to look at it and noticed my screen spider cracked and is getting bigger in the upper right portion of teh screen. The screen has tons of dust on under it, pretty much cant see anything in the middle its that bad. Do you guys think the dust could have caused it? I plan on going into verizon tomorrow, what do you think they will do? I dont have the insurance on it cuz i am very careful with my phones and never really figured i'd need it.

Thanks
    I am pretty sure Dust did not do it. Man sorry to hear you didn't have insurance. You took a chance and rolled snake eyes. Maybe Vzw can help you out. Give them a call, you never know.
    04-12-09 01:53 PM
    They may just charge you a $50.00 dollar replacement fee.. Kinda like having ins but the phone you would get will be a refurb.. Only way to dmg a display like that is some kind of preassure. Think of it like the window in your car. It dont crack untill hit with something.
    04-12-09 01:55 PM
    I am pretty sure Dust did not do it. Man sorry to hear you didn't have insurance. You took a chance and rolled snake eyes. Maybe Vzw can help you out. Give them a call, you never know.
    the only reason i think dust may be a part is taht, since it is so severe it added more pressure than normal than just normal pressures of resting in my pocket caused it to crack, but i really dont know
    04-12-09 01:57 PM
    The warranty is for manufacturing defects. If your service provider has had other instances of 'screens mysteriously cracking overnight' AND they've deemed this to be a recognised defect, then they may replace it under warranty - most likely (but not definitely) with a refub.. I doubt this will be the case.

Your other option would be to pay the $50 Deductible under the insurance policy (if you had taken it). Having paid your $50, they will replace with a brand new unit.

You may want to look into getting the phone repaired.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    04-12-09 02:00 PM
    Dust causing enough pressure to break glass? DUST?!? I want some of what this dude is smoking!
    04-12-09 02:01 PM
    the only reason i think dust may be a part is taht, since it is so severe it added more pressure than normal than just normal pressures of resting in my pocket caused it to crack, but i really dont know
    Anything is possible. I suggest at least trying to talk to VZW. You might get lucky. It couldn't hurt. BTW there are sites that sell Storm screens if Vzw says no. Good luck man
    04-12-09 02:01 PM
    Dust causing enough pressure to break glass? DUST?!? I want some of what this dude is smoking!
    its more than just a couple specs bro...i can barely see anything in the middle of my screen...
    04-12-09 02:02 PM
    Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but basically you need to pray for a sucker...Verizon reps in the stores don't usually replace them, they refer you to technical support & they are the ones who decide...if they replace it & the department that processes the orders show "physical damager" which is what this would be called....you STILL get billed full retail....Don't be so cheap next time....a device that costs $500 deserves insurance!!
    04-12-09 02:05 PM
    You realize a hand full of your dust, completely covering your palm, weighs less than the amount of pressure required to activate a screenpress? If you seriously think VZW is gonna buy that, I have a bridge to sell you.
    04-12-09 02:10 PM
    You realize a hand full of your dust, completely covering your palm, weighs less than the amount of pressure required to activate a screenpress? If you seriously think VZW is gonna buy that, I have a bridge to sell you.
    you realize wehre teh dust is though...weight has nothign to do with it, im just thinking here...(im not conviced eitehr that its dust) but if there is **** between the screen and whats behind it, when its pressed it causes more outward pressure...i just was giving an idea what may have caused this strange occurance...
    04-12-09 02:12 PM
    The point was, that much dust won't even activate the screenpress button, let alone break 1/4" thick glass.
    04-12-09 02:21 PM
    The point was, that much dust won't even activate the screenpress button, let alone break 1/4" thick glass.
    1/4" thick glass? Is that how thick you think it is? If thats the case, maybe YOU would be interested in "buying a bridge"? lol. The entire phone specs at 13.95 mm thick (0.55 inches). You think half the thickness of the phone is made up of the glass surface??

Its a "Verizon Storm"...not a "storm window"!
    Last edited by j9530; 04-12-09 at 02:44 PM.
    04-12-09 02:37 PM
    lets say verizon is useless(which im pretty much expecting) can i just replace the "glass" part or composite or w/e the screen is made out of? i was looking and teh whole assembly seems to cost 180 dollars has anyone seen it cheaper?
    04-12-09 02:41 PM
    When I was with Sprint, one of my phones just went dead and never owrked again. I had insurance and they asked me waht happened when I told them it didnt work and I said that I didnt know, it just quit working on me. They said that since " I didnt know what happened" they wouldnt cover me.
    04-12-09 02:42 PM
    I actually checked for you & the tech support department can put it in as a cracked screen & you would pay $50 for a replacement but it will be a "Certified Like New Device" which carries a 90 day warranty....better something than nothing....some stores try to order them, I say call & ask for overnight & bill it to your account if you are cramped for ca$h
    04-12-09 02:45 PM
    I actually checked for you & the tech support department can put it in as a cracked screen & you would pay $50 for a replacement but it will be a "Certified Like New Device" which carries a 90 day warranty....better something than nothing....some stores try to order them, I say call & ask for overnight & bill it to your account if you are cramped for ca$h
    i dont have the insurance though, would that matter?
    04-12-09 04:10 PM
    These guys sell the screen for $100 if you can't get VZW to help you out.

9500/9530 - HTC, Accessories Store, NEC, Apple, LG, Nokia, Acer, Sony, Alcatel, Dopod/O2, Be
    04-12-09 05:53 PM
    Same happened to me. Verizon will not give you a new phone, the will refer you to Asurion (insurance) and if you dont have it you are basically S.O.L

Sorry!
    04-12-09 05:57 PM
    I suggested that all storm users should buy insurance in case if anything happen then you won't have to worry about it
    04-12-09 06:11 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD