View Poll Results: Would you like a screen auto-lock feature on your Storm?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would love for my Storm to have this ability

91 84.26%
  • No, it doesn't really matter to me

17 15.74%
    Okay, if I missed something, please don't blast me. I did a thorough search and didn't uncover anything related to this...

Why do I have to manually lock my screen every time I put my BB down? Every single candy-bar phone I've ever had could auto-lock the buttons and the screen.....and most did it by default! Am I missing something here? Is there a setting that's hidden? Someone gave me a solution of creating a lock password and setting the lock to occur 1 minute after idle but that's not a feasible solution. I have my screen set to auto-dim at 20 seconds and I would like for it to become locked automatically at that time. If I sit my phone down for a moment with intent on picking it right back up and end up just grabbing it to run out of the door, I don't want to have to look at my phone every time the screen is off just to make sure it's locked before putting it in my pocket.

Does anyone know of a solution? An app maybe? Any help is much appreciated!
    12-10-08 05:32 PM
    Okay, if I missed something, please don't blast me. I did a thorough search and didn't uncover anything related to this...

Why do I have to manually lock my screen every time I put my BB down? Every single candy-bar phone I've ever had could auto-lock the buttons and the screen.....and most did it by default! Am I missing something here? Is there a setting that's hidden? Someone gave me a solution of creating a lock password and setting the lock to occur 1 minute after idle but that's not a feasible solution. I have my screen set to auto-dim at 20 seconds and I would like for it to become locked automatically at that time. If I sit my phone down for a moment with intent on picking it right back up and end up just grabbing it to run out of the door, I don't want to have to look at my phone every time the screen is off just to make sure it's locked before putting it in my pocket.

Does anyone know of a solution? An app maybe? Any help is much appreciated!
    there is a cool lil app called autolock that is available that will do exactly what you want. You can find the link to the application on the OTA applications pages in the free section on the BB storm wiki - BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Blackberry Storm OTA Apps
    12-10-08 05:37 PM
    There may be an app for it yes but u really shouldn't need an app for such a standard function.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 05:40 PM
    there is a cool lil app called autolock that is available that will do exactly what you want. You can find the link to the application on the OTA applications pages in the free section on the BB storm wiki - BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Blackberry Storm OTA Apps
    Sweeeeeet! I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back how well it works.

Thanks!!!
    12-10-08 05:51 PM
    There may be an app for it yes but u really shouldn't need an app for such a standard function.

Tell me about it...
    12-10-08 05:51 PM
    i use it and it works great. it places a menu under options call autolock where you can set up the settings
    12-10-08 05:58 PM
    i use it and it works great. it places a menu under options call autolock where you can set up the settings
    You're right!! It works great!!! Thank you so much!! I "officially" am in love with my Storm!!

Now, if only I could get my phone to vibrate and ring at the same time......
    12-10-08 06:13 PM
    You can also have your screen auto lock by setting a password. With that set, it will auto lock when the backlight goes off. You can set it to let calls go out without being unlocked, or you have to unlock before making a call.

I just set my password to like asdf, since I end up unlocking it so much, makes unlocking a little easier. And then you don't have to install an app to do it.

Options --> Password and all the settings are right there.
    Last edited by alabamr; 12-10-08 at 06:21 PM.
    12-10-08 06:16 PM
    I just use the case with magnet, does that not lock the unit?
    12-10-08 06:23 PM
    You're right!! It works great!!! Thank you so much!! I "officially" am in love with my Storm!!

HAHA. There is an app for that too. look on the same page, towards the end. its called VibandRing
    12-10-08 06:43 PM

get VibAndRing from the software page. It works great on the Storm.
    12-10-08 06:45 PM
    get VibAndRing from the software page. It works great on the Storm.
    Does it truly work great? I noticed this disclaimer where the app is located:

"MAY NOT BE COMPATIBLE. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK *SEE ABOVE Re: Compatibility Mode"

I'm trying to keep my storm as conflict-free as possible.

Thanks everyone for your help! I tell everyone about this site and how great the people are!
    12-10-08 06:59 PM
    Am i missing something cause it doesnt lock against clicking the screen while on a call, and i have tried each setting. I would be curious if you actually have it working correctly and how. Thanks
    12-10-08 07:00 PM
    if you use a holster, you can set it to auto lock when you put it in, not just stand by mode.
    12-10-08 07:05 PM
    if you use a holster, you can set it to auto lock when you put it in, not just stand by mode.
    Yea, I don't use a holster. Pocket lint baby! LOL!
    12-10-08 07:29 PM
    HAHA. There is an app for that too. look on the same page, towards the end. its called VibandRing
    The crackberry store says VibandRing isn't compatible for the Storm but it lists this one as being compatible: Ring and Vibrate - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

Has anyone tried it? I'm missing too many calls because my phone only vibrates once!
    12-10-08 07:31 PM
    If you go under sounds and scroll down to ---set ring tones/alerts
    then choose phone---scroll down to vibration choose the pull down and choose custom.
    once you do that you can choose length and count for number of times etc.
    hope this helps.
    12-10-08 08:06 PM
    If you go under sounds and scroll down to ---set ring tones/alerts
    then choose phone---scroll down to vibration choose the pull down and choose custom.
    once you do that you can choose length and count for number of times etc.
    hope this helps.
    Thanks for the help but the phone doesn't ring until it's done vibrating. I need both at the same time.

Thanks again though, I really appreciate it!
    12-10-08 08:14 PM
    VibAndRing is working great on my storm. it IS compatible
    12-10-08 08:27 PM
    I would get vibandring but I'm not gunns coz its not free

12-10-08 08:46 PM
    I would LOVE it to lock while I'm on a call.
    12-10-08 09:07 PM
    I would LOVE it to lock while I'm on a call.
    There's an option for it to lock while you're on a call. Does it not work for you? it works for me...
    12-11-08 03:45 PM
    VibAndRing is working great on my storm. it IS compatible
    Okay! I'm diving in and I'll let you know the outcome...
    12-11-08 03:45 PM
    AutoLock keeps on giving me an uncaught exception error and it still locks when plugged in when I have that unchecked.

Can't be fussy with a free software now can we?
    12-11-08 04:02 PM
    My Storm automatically locks if I leave it idle.
    12-11-08 05:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD