OK, I managed to scare myself silly with a screen protector today.

I ordered one of those "mirror" type screen protectors and it arrived today. Within 10 minutes of applying it I decided I didn't like it. The screen was much less responsive as the plastic is too thick. The mirror effect is cool, but just shows finger marks way more than the BB screen. Despite my best efforts there are around 10 bubbles on it.

So I decide to remove it. Carefully getting under the edge of it I pull it up, then think - hang on ! That's way too thick - Christ I'm pulling off the whole screen or something ! Took me over a hour to convince myself I wasn't ruining the precious and confined the damn thing to the bin. Actually it's left the screen MUCH cleaner and some of what I thought were scratches clearly weren't. Slightly tacky now though - hopefully that will go.

Lesson learned - which screen protectors does everyone else use ? Which have little or no effect on the screen and are easy to get off ?
    04-11-09 04:44 PM
    i just get the ones from verizon. they last me a pretty long time and the screen seems normally responsive.
    04-11-09 04:59 PM
    Well I heard from these forums that the screen can't be scratched. Verizon Storm comes with factory screen protection but doubled the protection with something I bought from T-Mobile. Seem's like you got the 9500 so I would say just get the one from your carrier.

Just don't use Zagg's Invisible Shield or BodyGuardz because their material have a grip-like texture so it will kill your touchscreen experience. I covered mine with BodyGuardz but not the screen.
    04-11-09 05:04 PM
    I use PhantomSkinz but they always seem to have imperfections. Don't like Invisible Shield. Still haven't found anything perfect.
    04-11-09 05:10 PM
    I use PhantomSkinz but they always seem to have imperfections. Don't like Invisible Shield. Still haven't found anything perfect.
    BodyGuardz doesn't cover the entire phone either. I wish someone came out with a skin that covers the entire phone. But I'm protecting the rest of the phone with BlackBerry's silicone cover.
    04-11-09 05:12 PM
    Yeah, the screen part is most important but I haven't had much luck.
    04-11-09 05:14 PM
    Use any cheap screen protector that doesn't have grip texture like invisible shield, phantomskinz or bodyguardz. and change it when it needs to be changed.

Like those 10 pack for $10 cheap screen protectors.
    04-11-09 05:18 PM
    The texture is better with Phantom Skinz than IS but the screen protectors always have weird lines or dots in the plastic itself.
    04-11-09 05:33 PM
    To the OP, you've probably pulled off the primary stock screen protector that was on the screen. This is why the screen feels a bit tacky. If you can feel and easily see small dimples in the screen when held at an angle, that's what happened.
    04-11-09 05:49 PM
    Well I heard from these forums that the screen can't be scratched.
    If you believe that, take a few grains of sand, rub them across your Storm's bare screen, and report back. (Do not, I repeat DO NOT try this). Sand is capable of scratching glass, glass is made from sand basically. Think of how many times a sand particle could potentially end up on your screen, you will realize the screen can and WILL scratch. The videos you see of knives and keys not scratching it? Well, knives and keys aren't as high on the hardness scale as sand.
    04-11-09 06:16 PM
    Well I heard from these forums that the screen can't be scratched. .
    VERY WRONG! People that say that are the ones who work behind a desk all day out of the eliments of the outdoors. I work in construction and had to do 2 insurance claims already do to the screen getting all scratched up! Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you they can't be scratched becuase trust me, been there done that 2 times now

from my 3rd storm on now I have used Zagg's Invisible Shield and its good. Have not been able to scratch the glass with that cover on.
    04-11-09 07:10 PM
    I have the ZAGGS invisishield and love it, cant really tell its on there now, or atleast I dont notice it. didn't change the way my screen feels at all
    04-11-09 08:21 PM
    When I bought my Storm the VZW sales rep was trying to sell me everything including the BB screen protectors that they have. I ended up not buying it and am using my Storm with the screen protector it came with. I have had no problems with it.
    04-11-09 08:32 PM
    I really like Javo screen savers. The clarity is better than Verizon's screen savers.
    04-11-09 08:55 PM
    I use the zagg invisa-shield... And yes the touchscreen is not as responsive as before but it I am use to it now so no real issue for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 12:32 AM
    I have the ZAGGS invisishield and love it, cant really tell its on there now, or atleast I dont notice it. didn't change the way my screen feels at all

I have the ZAGG screen protector too and I love it. I did buy the cheapo-creepo covers and hated them. I'd put them on and after about a week they'd look all grimy and start peeling up at the edges. The ZAGG has a nice feel and I don't think it impedes the touch screen at all and it still looks nice and shiny.
    04-12-09 01:27 AM
    its amazing how jumpy you become, worrying about our precious phones.
    04-12-09 01:59 AM
    I have the ZAGG screen protector too and I love it. I did buy the cheapo-creepo covers and hated them. I'd put them on and after about a week they'd look all grimy and start peeling up at the edges. The ZAGG has a nice feel and I don't think it impedes the touch screen at all and it still looks nice and shiny.
    Zagg policy sucks. I didnt return 1 edge of my whole body kit and they voided the warranty since they said they need the whole thing. I was only missing 1 small part that fell off
    04-12-09 02:02 AM
    Use any cheap screen protector that doesn't have grip texture like invisible shield, phantomskinz or bodyguardz. and change it when it needs to be changed.

Like those 10 pack for $10 cheap screen protectors.
    i agree. since the IS or any other screen protector comes with life time warranty which you have to pay for shipping and if it gets lost they tell u we didn't receive it and don't send you another 1. So everytime u send back u need to pay for shipping whatever it is. 3 , 4 5, $ and you have to order a new 1 which u need to pay for shipping around 8 $. doesnt make sense. they are already really expensive for a NYLON
    04-12-09 02:06 AM
    After watching the scratch resistant tests on the Storm screen i decided to go solo, that is no protector at all, I mean I'm so fussy as it is with handling the Storm, and no matter how many times I tried, I just couldn't get a screen protector on without a piece of dust or lint somewhere on the screen which annoyed me to no end
    04-12-09 07:21 AM
    I ordered the Seidio screen protector should be here soon, anyone have any reviews on those?
    04-12-09 07:38 AM
    I am using Phantom Skinz full body shield. Looks a little sloppy when first put on but after the skin dries out underneath is comes out with a nicer finish. They give you 2 in the pack and come with a lifetime warranty. And you can warranty only one piece of the skin as well.
    04-12-09 07:40 AM
    i have had my original screen protector on since i got my storm 2 or so months ago, up until about a week ago. the sides were peeling off, so i decided to just pull the damn thing off....

noticed yesterday ive got a 3-4mm scratch on the screen. CRAPPPPPPP.
    04-12-09 11:28 AM
    I am using Phantom Skinz full body shield. Looks a little sloppy when first put on but after the skin dries out underneath is comes out with a nicer finish. They give you 2 in the pack and come with a lifetime warranty. And you can warranty only one piece of the skin as well.
    I got the same one on e-bay for 18.00 free shipping.
    04-12-09 12:11 PM
    Well I heard from these forums that the screen can't be scratched. Verizon Storm comes with factory screen protection but doubled the protection with something I bought from T-Mobile. Seem's like you got the 9500 so I would say just get the one from your carrier.

Just don't use Zagg's Invisible Shield or BodyGuardz because their material have a grip-like texture so it will kill your touchscreen experience. I covered mine with BodyGuardz but not the screen.
    I use Invisishield and when you first put it on it's kind of tackt to the touch, but after a bit of use it gets smoother. I don't even notice it's there.
    04-12-09 05:23 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD