I looked at my messages and I noticed that all of my messages before Dec 14th have been erased from my device. (I have had it since launch) I can't remember when I updated to the .75 or the .83 leaks but I don't suspect it was tied to either of those updates because all my other data seemed to be backed up.

I have a bunch of questions about saving messages as I am new to Blackberry:
    1) I saved all of my messages (SMS, MMS and emails) in both of the updating procedures. I have those messages saved on my computer's hard drive, if I run a recovery process, will that just add all of the files in those archives or will it ERASE and REPLACE all the messages I have on my device now with all my older messages?

2) If I select all of my SMS and MMS messages and save them, will my device begin to slow down as I have a bigger and bigger "Saved Messages" folder?

3) in the SMS Text Menu in the options section of the Options menu there is an item that says "Number of Previous Items" It was set to 7 but I changed it to 50. What does this number mean? I took it to mean the number of previous items between a contact that was strung together in the SMS talk window. Is that right?
    12-26-08 09:08 PM
    I looked at my messages and I noticed that all of my messages before Dec 14th have been erased from my device. (I have had it since launch) I can't remember when I updated to the .75 or the .83 leaks but I don't suspect it was tied to either of those updates because all my other data seemed to be backed up.

I have a bunch of questions about saving messages as I am new to Blackberry:
    1) I saved all of my messages (SMS, MMS and emails) in both of the updating procedures. I have those messages saved on my computer's hard drive, if I run a recovery process, will that just add all of the files in those archives or will it ERASE and REPLACE all the messages I have on my device now with all my older messages?

2) If I select all of my SMS and MMS messages and save them, will my device begin to slow down as I have a bigger and bigger "Saved Messages" folder?

3) in the SMS Text Menu in the options section of the Options menu there is an item that says "Number of Previous Items" It was set to 7 but I changed it to 50. What does this number mean? I took it to mean the number of previous items between a contact that was strung together in the SMS talk window. Is that right?
    1) restoring a backup will REPLACE the current data with the data from the backup. The current data will be lost if you restore an old backup.

2) maybe, eventually, but not for a long time.

3) I think you are correct. Mine is set at 10 and I've never had an SMS convo go that long, so I'm not sure.
    12-26-08 11:36 PM
    What exactly does "saving" a message do? Does it just move (copy?) the message to the saved message folder? How is that different from just leaving it in the normal folder?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 11:50 PM
    What exactly does "saving" a message do? Does it just move (copy?) the message to the saved message folder? How is that different from just leaving it in the normal folder?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Saving copies the message to the Saved Messages folder. If the message is then deleted from the inbox by the Low Memory Recovery Process, the copy that's in the Saved Messages folder will not be deleted. If all you have is the inbox copy, it will be lost irretrievably, unless you have a backup.
    12-26-08 11:54 PM
    Saving copies the message to the Saved Messages folder. If the message is then deleted from the inbox by the Low Memory Recovery Process, the copy that's in the Saved Messages folder will not be deleted. If all you have is the inbox copy, it will be lost irretrievably, unless you have a backup.
    Low Memory Recovery Process? Where do I find out more about this?
    12-27-08 12:54 PM
    Memory recovery is a function of the Operating System. There really isn't anything you can do about it, other than ensure you have as much free memory as possible to start with. Earlier model BlackBerries only had 64 or 96MB of memory, so it was a much more serious problem than it is on the Storm and Bold.

Here's a thread by a BlackBerry developer that discusses memory management: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/coo...ing-app-47525/
    12-27-08 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD