I have already started a thread a while ago when I bought my Storm 9500, but since my problem exists and found ( although this now seems became to be my daily hobby... ) no solution, nowhere.

So here is the thing:

I want to simply change my default ringtones / alerts, ( including my alarm tone, that drives my wife into devorce soon ) into something I like from the default selection.

I do the folllowing:

e.g.: Sounds / Set ringtones/Alerts / Phone ===> I change the Ringtone to like Ringer_Bonjour

If now I press "Try it" it would ONLY VIBRATE but does NOT play the tone.
    I go SAVE it, it indicates that my ringtone is at Ringer_Bonjur but it still plays the default ringtone. ( the volume is on 7 )

I CAN change the ringtone however from Media / Ring tones / selecting the tone and saving it as default, but not the way I described above.

The same thing with the ALARM:

Clock / Options / Alarm / Alarm tone / Whatever I choose from the tones / I press TRY IT, it won't play.

I SAVE it, but it indicates the one I selected, but still plays the default tone.

The only thing works in both cases, if I do the Browse while changing the tone and I select something from my music, that plays.

The same thing with SMS, MMS etc.

Seems I can only change my ringtone through Media, and can set a song as for the change... mad-mad-mad

This is TOO MUCH flustrating, so please if anybody has a grand idea, or experience: share with me before I decide to jump out of the window.

And yes, I have tried battery pull several times...
    Last edited by Pavlov75; 07-08-09 at 05:24 AM. Reason: missing info
    07-08-09 05:07 AM
    I notice the same issue on mine. What I found as a temporary fix (since it really doesn't bother me or my wife!) is to change the length of the vibration to a shorter one. I changed to short and 3 pulses before ring. When I click Try It it does the three short vibrates and then the ring tone I selected. Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 08:04 AM
    Thanks, I tried it but even if I turn the vibration off, the tone cannot be heard when I do the "TRY IT" and does not get activated as I have written.. this is really weirrd. Morover, despite I have set the Alert volume lower it won't be more quiet but the way it was set as a default..
    07-08-09 08:11 AM
    What is ur setting in Sounds profile list? Do u have any custom profiles &/or contacts?
    07-08-09 10:52 AM
    Hi Transfigured, thank you that you are trying to help! Nope, I have not set up any customer profile yet, I am trying to use the Loud / Normal etc. as written above...hope the "masters" can figure out what the problem can be.. I have read in one of the threads to enable my firewall, that I have done as well, but did not help.. The process is so obvious, it might be a problem of my device.. Do you think a wipe could help? I am on .141 OS and an upgrade might help if there is any.
    07-08-09 11:32 AM
    i have the same problem in that I cant set an alarm tone - no one seems to know what to do
    07-08-09 12:31 PM
    I have already spent far too much time seaking for the solution, though this should be one of the basic functions a user may expect from a phone ( maybe calling or sending text messages are somewhat equally important.. haha ). I am very dissapointed so far.. hope someone can help us... :-(
    07-08-09 03:43 PM
    Update your OS to .148. I had this same prob and the upgrade took care of it.

whoops just realized u have a 9500 and not a 9530. not sure if the OS is the same
    07-08-09 04:21 PM
    I would do the update, but I am not sure if I should really wipe my OS just to be able to set my ringtones/alerts right... still waiting for a good hint.. :-(
    07-09-09 07:23 AM
    its shameful really
    07-09-09 03:07 PM
    Na, I have manged to solve the problem. I digged into other forums and decided to wipe my .141 OS and changed it to .148 and guess: THE PROBLEM DISSAPEARED! Now I can set whatever tone I want wherever ( Alerts, ringtones, alarm, SMS etc. )!
    IMPORTANT THOUGH: despite I made a backup just before doing the wipe and reload, I lost all apps I have purchased including the pricy GARMIN Sat-nav I purchased a good month ago.

This thread helped me a lot, so I can also recommend:

forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-wipe-jl_cmder-53502

Good luck and I hope at least now I helped!

Tamas
    07-10-09 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD