From what I've read about the Qualcomm MSM7600, the Storms processor, it has an integrated graphics processor. (correct me if I'm wrong) It's been well known that the Storm does not have any 3D acceleration though.

It seems like such a waste to have this potential wasted and ignored. Why is the graphics processor not being used at all? Is it a limitation of the BlackBerry OS, or because the phone was rushed out? I'd like to know if RIM has any plans to ever enable 3D acceleration on the Storm
    02-03-09 09:54 PM
    Of course it's being used, don't you see some of the effects on the Storm?

It just isn't being used in the way that you'd like it to just yet.
    02-03-09 09:55 PM
    Of course it's being used, don't you see some of the effects on the Storm?

It just isn't being used in the way that you'd like it to just yet.
    From what I've seen on my Storm.. I'd be willing to bet that all the 'effects' are done purely by the CPU.

The datasheet I've seen on the MSM7600 says it supports Open GL ES. Will the Storm ever get Open GL support to go along with the hardware? Is it even possible with the current Blackberry OS?
    02-03-09 10:12 PM
    Open GL would be hot!
    I wonder what java devs could do with that other than what we've seen so far
    02-03-09 10:20 PM
    It all depends on whether or not RIM implements OpenGL support into the BB OS. It's probably possible, but I doubt they're going to redesign the UI from the ground up to support OpenGL. Apple already had OS X, which they just paired down for the Jesus Phone... And you can bet if the entire UI weren't essentially one giant OpenGL app, they would have left out the GPU, but coding a new OS from scratch was probably deemed too costly compared to a GPU.

Given future updates to the Storm, you might see some of the transition effects shifted to the GPU, but right now I suspect they're more focused on getting a solid working OS.
    02-03-09 10:40 PM
    i dont know much about this stuff but many models of many things dont come out using their full potential right away. they use the potential to release newer models. which is of course a perfectly good reason to upgrade in 1.5-2 years. i could be completely wrong... i usually am. lol
    02-03-09 11:33 PM
    Open GL would be hot!
    I wonder what java devs could do with that other than what we've seen so far
    You could see actual 3D images. That would be sweet.
    02-04-09 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD