Okay, I've been searching for some answers on VCast/Rhapsody without much luck...

I signed up for VCast/Rhapsody's $14.99 subscription, and downloaded the software from Verizon. It says "This device is not a subscription device" and says I have to purchase the song. I'm paying the $14.99 for the subscription, shouldn't I be able to transfer it to my phone?

Okay, so that doesn't work, so at least I should be able to download the songs to my computer, right? But that doesn't work either. It says "Your computer was not authorized." So I go to the menu and click on "Authorize Computer" and it says "Failed to authorize computer."

My account shows that I have an active subscription and I can stream music, I just can't download or transfer it to my Storm.

Anyone else having these problems?? I'm starting to wonder what I'm paying for!
    12-17-08 03:31 PM
    Yeah the Storm and Rhapsody both have been causing me nothing but grief.

To auth. your computer you basically need to run some script in a hidden drm folder created by Rhapsody I think under the all users?
    The script is basically to clean and rebuild some helix information. That is how I was able to finally get my comp. authorized. This was for using Vista.

Once you get that done the storm is a whole other matter. The Device Manager didn't recog. my Storm. I had to enable it through the Device Drivers configuration dialog from the control panel. Then I had to unplug the device and replug it. Vista should detect the Storm and you should be able to sync.

If that is the case then you should be able to launch Rhapsody and it should see both the memory and media devices on the Storm.

I have been able to transfer tracks from Rhapsody to the Storm but it keeps telling me I don't have the rights to play the media.

Nothing but a ridiculous waste of time on both.
    12-17-08 03:58 PM
    Try the delete helix licenses, drm clean, update helix components and update window components executables under your rhapsody install, restart rhapsody and then try to auth your computer again.
    12-17-08 04:04 PM
    So what's the point of this software??? I had it too but couldn't figure out how to get music on my phone using it. Do you have to pay for songs then you can download them to your phone? I wondered what I paid for too
    12-17-08 04:07 PM
    seriously, I don't know anything about the "helix licenses, drm clean, update helix components and update window components executables under your rhapsody install", I shouldn't have to be a computer wiz to get this to work... can anyone explain this to me simply... or point me in the right direction to resolve the issue? btw I have WIN XP
    12-17-08 04:24 PM
    Finally making some progress! Here's what I've done:

- Helix Licenses -> Deleted and Updated (executables found in the Rhapsody folder) --- this didn't work

- Update Windows Components (in Rhapsody folder) --- didn't work

- Rename DRM folder (found in Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM) --- worked! At least, it allowed me to authorize my computer and Storm

Still having some troubles transferring my music to the Storm but will let you know if I figure it out...
    12-17-08 04:27 PM
    seriously, I don't know anything about the "helix licenses, drm clean, update helix components and update window components executables under your rhapsody install", I shouldn't have to be a computer wiz to get this to work... can anyone explain this to me simply... or point me in the right direction to resolve the issue? btw I have WIN XP
    I say try renaming the DRM folder first (since it worked for me and it's fairly simple). It's a bit tricky finding the folder though, if you have XP, go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\. You probably can't see the DRM folder, so click on Tools -> Folder Options. Click the View tab, make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, and DESELECT "Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]". Then you should be able to see the DRM folder and rename it.
    12-17-08 04:32 PM
    That is just dumb if you have to do all that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 04:53 PM
    now good luck if you can actually get your Storm to play the music.
    12-17-08 06:45 PM
    It looks like when you attempt to transfer a song over to your device it is failing and asking you to purchase.

This is more than likely because your phoen is in mass storage mode. In mass storage mode your phone will not authorize or be able to transfer over subscription music. YOu can tell it is in mass storage mode in Rhapsody because you will see drive letters (i.e. E: F appear next to the device and the memory card. IN order to take it out of mass storage go to options --> memory --> and select "NO" for auto enable mass storage.

Now you can register yoru phone and transfer subscription music without gooing through all of those other crazy steps.
    12-18-08 03:08 PM
    i spent a long time on the phone with verizon before getting the 14.99 package here is some info for you:
    - you can have up to 3 computers and 3 devices with the media on it.
    - if you purchase the song it is yours to do with as you please
    - if you cancel the 14.99 you lose the ability to use unbought music
    - to get music i had to add it to my library in the rhapsody program then drag it to my phone.

i was able to authorize all devices with out issue so sorry i caint help you there and i hope the above infor is useful later.
    12-18-08 04:06 PM
    I had the same issues getting my storm to recognize that I indeed did have a subscription and letting me play the files. I spent 3 hours on the phone with vzw and they sent me to rhapsody who could not fix the issue either, but did proceed to remove the licensing for all my songs on itunes by renaming a folder.

so be careful renaming those folders
    12-18-08 04:34 PM
    I am using the rhapsody togo subscription with my storm and it is working great. I had some toothing problems with getting my device authorized but after that it has been smooth.

I made one large playlist and have it "auto" sync to my storm works great.
    12-18-08 05:24 PM
    Older post but need to put in my two cents after getting through this ordeal.

Lets see if we can condense this to one post...

Rhapsody can't authorize the machine:

Best bet is to rename the folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM" to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRMbackup" or whatever you wish.
    Go to Rhapsody>Help>Troubleshooting>Authorize,License,DR M for instructions. Scroll down to Solution 8. Better make darn sure you have your licenses backed up from iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc. before you do this. Restart Rhapsody and Authorize the machine. Try the other solutions in the link above if Solution 8 doesn't work.

Machine is authorized but the device is not on the left sidebar or shows up with Drive Letter in parentheses after the media card name (Device should show up as the phone model "Blackberry 9630"):

Most likely the phone is in mass storage mode. This mode bypasses the phone entirely and sees it as a media card reader(PC>USB Cable>Media Card).

On the Blackberry go to Options(small wrench icon) > Memory. Scroll down to "Auto enable mass storage mode when connected" and change to "No" or "Prompt" (hit "no" when prompted). This Mode sees the phone as a Blackberry (PC>USB Cable>Blackberry>Media Card). The media card will not show up as a separate device. Why would Verizon pay royalties to Rhapsody so users can transfer unlimited music to any old media card? No it must be seen by the Rhapsody software as a Verizon Blackberry not a plain media card.

You'll know it's set up correctly if you drag a Rhapsody Store album or track to the device icon on the left sidebar and it starts downloading immediately with no bells whistles or BS.

Basically, our 14.99 gets us unlimited streaming music to PC (PC downloads expire in a month) and unlimited song downloads to Verizon device, which would be limited to disk space on the media card(s). WARNING. Purchase means Purchase in Rhapsody (you will be charged extra per track/album). On your phone or Verizon Media Store Buy means Buy (you will be charged extra per track/album). On Rhapsody it is included in your 14.99 subscription if you click download or play or drag the music to your phone. Pay attention to this and you'll avoid 'surprises'.
    09-09-09 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD