After extensive reviews I paid �28 for these on play.com (free postage)

Setup: a doddle. Charge them, turn on Bluetooth, pairing is trouble-free.

Sound-quality: much better than expected. I build my own valve amps as a hobby and know what real music should sound like - I knew it would be unreasonable to expect audiophile quality from a bluetooth set. I'd be more than happy listening to music or films on the train with these. They don't go right into the ear canal so you still get a little of the sounds around you, but my wife sat next to me and couldn't hear anything from them so good for that.

Comfort: good. I don't like headphones much, my ears tend to get uncomfortably hot. I've used these for a couple of hours without a problem. The S9s are very light - less than 1 ounce, ie less than most sunglasses ! The battery is housed at the back of the neckband along with the charge port and the only button, but you really do forget you're wearing anything. There is no adjustment bar the bend of the material. I found this fine as did my wife and kids (10 and 8).

Phone: almost excellent. The microphone is invisibly housed in the right earpiece and I was highly sceptical that it would work at all, but callers could hear me no problems. My only gripe is that the conversation is only played through the left earpiece. Why on earth not duplicate it as a mono signal through both ? Music is nicely interrupted so you can take the call and resumes afterwards.

Features: Good. The buttons on the stems of the earpieces do everything you need, including driving voice-activated dialling - which worked scarily well. The buttons are quite small and it takes practise to find them (and of course you can't see them).

Connection: Indoors - great. Outdoors - poor to average. Indoors I can walk about no problem with the phone on my desk or in my pocket. If I'm walking the dog outdoors (especially if it's windy) the connection breaks up regularly unless I carry the phone high up. I wouldn't buy these for use outdoors.

Not good for outdoor use, otherwise GREAT.
    04-08-09 11:28 AM
    Nice, thanks for the review!
    04-08-09 11:35 AM
    I had the s9's for the 9530 and was experiencing the same things...very fustrating sometimes...outside had poor connectivity....I now have gone back to my motorola ht820....they are a bit bulky but overall amazing...have maybe a 3% connectivity issue when I am riding my bike from gym to work...but they are definately a reliable alternative to the s9
    04-08-09 11:54 AM
    i got s9 hd's last week so far my only issue is figuring out how to connect to a bluetooth dongle in my pc. It connects fine but doesn't play any audio. Just a heads up if you are planning on using it with a computer.
    04-08-09 12:11 PM
    im listening to some music on my s9s right now...

I def agree with the poor connectivity outdoors, indoors it works like a dream.

I dont understand why they work so poorly outside. I used to have a Motorola Q and I could wear my s9s in tornado like conditions and the music would be streaming smoothly.

I thought my Storm was more advanced than my Q...
    04-08-09 12:17 PM
    I had the s9's for the 9530 and was experiencing the same things...very fustrating sometimes...outside had poor connectivity....I now have gone back to my motorola ht820....they are a bit bulky but overall amazing...have maybe a 3% connectivity issue when I am riding my bike from gym to work...but they are definately a reliable alternative to the s9
    The more I try to live with these things the more I get frustrated that they just don't work outside. Walking the dog last night, perfectly calm weather - break ups maybe every 30 secs on average.

I think I'm gonna send them back.
    04-09-09 05:16 AM
    Great review. Thank you for taking the time and effort.
    04-09-09 06:05 AM
    Great review. Thank you for taking the time and effort.
    np - that's what the community is about, right ?

I just saw an article about the "Philips Tapster" which looks interesting ? Anyone know when they're launched or what price ?
    04-09-09 06:34 AM
    I have the S9-HDs and use them routinely outside. The trick is to put the phone in your back pocket; that way the connection is quite reliable.

Bluetooth is a low-power radio signal. Indoors the signal can bounce off of surfaces to get to the receiver (the large part of the headphones that's located in the back of your head). Outdoors, the bluetooth signal has nothing to bounce off of, so you need a clean line of sight between the transmitter (phone) and receiver. If you have the phone in your front pocket, the bluetooth signal is not strong enough to transmit through your body. Put the phone in your back pocket the the signal can reach the receiver unattenuated. I do get the periodic signal loss this way, usually because I turn my body funny or bend over to tie my shoe, but it only lasts for a second and reconnects immediately.
    04-09-09 07:43 AM
    I have the S9-HDs and use them routinely outside. The trick is to put the phone in your back pocket; that way the connection is quite reliable.

Bluetooth is a low-power radio signal. Indoors the signal can bounce off of surfaces to get to the receiver (the large part of the headphones that's located in the back of your head). Outdoors, the bluetooth signal has nothing to bounce off of, so you need a clean line of sight between the transmitter (phone) and receiver. If you have the phone in your front pocket, the bluetooth signal is not strong enough to transmit through your body. Put the phone in your back pocket the the signal can reach the receiver unattenuated. I do get the periodic signal loss this way, usually because I turn my body funny or bend over to tie my shoe, but it only lasts for a second and reconnects immediately.
    These things are so annoying that I ended up wearing a camelback on short rides just to be able to hear my music skip-free. I have one with a tiny mp3 player pocket at the top and it keeps it in close proximity to the receiver.

They are a great idea, but it isn't implemented very well. The waterproofing is horrible. Remember how they used to promote it for use with an active lifestyle and now they don't? I went back to wired headsets during my run because the buttons would just stop working at the slightest hint of sweat. My warranty expires soon but since I hardly use them I don't know if I'll even bother with finding the box with the receipt to return them(just moved).

If I do get a new pair I will probably just sell them for cheap.
    04-09-09 08:16 AM
    After extensive reviews I paid �28 for these on play.com (free postage)

Setup: a doddle. Charge them, turn on Bluetooth, pairing is trouble-free.

Sound-quality: much better than expected. I build my own valve amps as a hobby and know what real music should sound like - I knew it would be unreasonable to expect audiophile quality from a bluetooth set. I'd be more than happy listening to music or films on the train with these. They don't go right into the ear canal so you still get a little of the sounds around you, but my wife sat next to me and couldn't hear anything from them so good for that.

Comfort: good. I don't like headphones much, my ears tend to get uncomfortably hot. I've used these for a couple of hours without a problem. The S9s are very light - less than 1 ounce, ie less than most sunglasses ! The battery is housed at the back of the neckband along with the charge port and the only button, but you really do forget you're wearing anything. There is no adjustment bar the bend of the material. I found this fine as did my wife and kids (10 and 8).

Phone: almost excellent. The microphone is invisibly housed in the right earpiece and I was highly sceptical that it would work at all, but callers could hear me no problems. My only gripe is that the conversation is only played through the left earpiece. Why on earth not duplicate it as a mono signal through both ? Music is nicely interrupted so you can take the call and resumes afterwards.

Features: Good. The buttons on the stems of the earpieces do everything you need, including driving voice-activated dialling - which worked scarily well. The buttons are quite small and it takes practise to find them (and of course you can't see them).

Connection: Indoors - great. Outdoors - poor to average. Indoors I can walk about no problem with the phone on my desk or in my pocket. If I'm walking the dog outdoors (especially if it's windy) the connection breaks up regularly unless I carry the phone high up. I wouldn't buy these for use outdoors.

Not good for outdoor use, otherwise GREAT.
    Perfectly reviewed. I agree with pretty much everything wholeheartedly.

As for why one ear is used for phone audio...that's how a normal phone operates as well so that isn't really a big deal. I think it might also be a requirement in certain areas so maybe Motorola just decided to not give consumers a choice. Imagine if someone were using one of these for an in-car device. If they are going to have both ears covered, one should be free to hear ambient sound.
    04-09-09 08:23 AM
    Perfectly reviewed. I agree with pretty much everything wholeheartedly.

As for why one ear is used for phone audio...that's how a normal phone operates as well so that isn't really a big deal. I think it might also be a requirement in certain areas so maybe Motorola just decided to not give consumers a choice. Imagine if someone were using one of these for an in-car device. If they are going to have both ears covered, one should be free to hear ambient sound.
    Interesting ... but I'd like the choice please.
    04-09-09 08:34 AM

Interesting, but that would imply that ALL BT headphones are this crap outside. I've seen several comments from users of other sets which would imply that some sets are much better than others ...
    04-09-09 08:37 AM
    Interesting ... but I'd like the choice please.
    Agreed ... the boxed wired headset is stereo audio and the phone conversation is mono in both ears

And, to the OP, thanks for the review. I've been looking at (finally) getting some like this for music / hands-free combined ... rockin' the Jawbone1 for just hands-free now.
    04-09-09 08:39 AM
    Interesting, but that would imply that ALL BT headphones are this crap outside. I've seen several comments from users of other sets which would imply that some sets are much better than others ...
    Which ones? Almost every review I've read on BT stereo headphones says they have issues out of doors and are much better in doors.

BTW, the S9-HDs do have the audio in both ears when on a phone call. And the buttons seem more sturdy; maybe an answer to the sweat-destroying-the-buttons issue.
    04-09-09 01:07 PM
    Ok....I have 2 questions.....how do u disable the auto off and how do u enable audio in both ears when on a call?
    04-09-09 01:30 PM
    Just plumped for a pair of Motorola HT820 for �22 plus �4 international shipping !
    04-14-09 02:40 PM
    BTW, the S9-HDs do have the audio in both ears when on a phone call. And the buttons seem more sturdy; maybe an answer to the sweat-destroying-the-buttons issue.
    Not on my set. Calls are only of the left side.
    04-14-09 03:26 PM
    Which ones? Almost every review I've read on BT stereo headphones says they have issues out of doors and are much better in doors.

I didn't even look into those but its nice to hear that the buttons are better. I saw on a blog once where this guy opened up the s9's and put some kind of caulking or something in it to make them more sweat resistant. Maybe Motorola read that blog and took his advice.
    04-18-09 03:37 PM
    I had a pair of the S9 headphones they are nice but what I did not like about them was the frame is solid no flex in them. I found and bought a SAMSUNG SBH700 BLUETOOTH HEADSET they are similar to the S9 but they are felixible and to me are more comfortable than the S9 and the sound quality is excellent.
    Last edited by rpchurch; 04-18-09 at 08:21 PM.
    04-18-09 08:07 PM
    I just got one, and i have to agree with the review... for the most part at least. The only thing that i find that is different from the review is that I have no connectivity issues at all either indoors or outdoors. The work flawlessly. Even better is that I got mine of of craigslist for $40! The best $40 accessory I have bought.
    04-18-09 08:39 PM
    Not on my set. Calls are only of the left side.
    I also have S9-HD headsets and I get this on both sides too. It is the HD version of them.
    The S9-HD versions are much much better than the S9s alone. The sweat issue is gone with these. Sturdy hard plastic buttons.
    More expensive though but with HD quality music . Pandora works absolutely amazing with them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD