To lead this off we need to settle one thing: I'm an *****.

I'm a poor college student that had the bright idea to get a BlackBerry Storm to try to keep my homework, classes, and clubs organized. I ordered it the day after it came out and got it about a week later.

However last Friday I was at a party, had a couple drinks and managed to to drop it from hand height onto a cement floor. I pick it up used to my old phone which took falls like a champ and see an inch and a half long crack in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Now everything still works fine, the click is a little worse but i can still type at a normal speed etc. but I cannot stand that crack, especially since I need to keep this phone for another two years for the NE2.

Now my question is, how does Verizon's return policy work? I have insurance so I just need to drop the $50 deductible and I can return it legitimately. But I was wondering if I could try to trick them into thinking that I just have a bad click screen, take the papers I have out of behind the phone and try to send it back to them without them noticing that I actually dropped the phone.

When you return a phone do they send you the replacement before you send them the broken one? How strict are they on the quality of the returned device. What are the odds of getting a refurbished phone when returning it, are the odds better of getting a new one if I return it through the insurance.

Anyone have any advice on the matter?

Thanks.
    12-10-08 12:03 PM
    Fraud posted on public internetz...FAIL
    12-10-08 12:05 PM
    If you have the insurance, just call them. They will send you a new one, then you send that one back. If you try to trick them they might bill you for the full price of the phone. Not worth it
    12-10-08 12:07 PM
    Haha I could not have handled this phone in college. I always had a cheap flip phone that could withstand drops off a balcony and a night outside in a bush every once in a while.
    12-10-08 12:22 PM
    If you try to trick them they might bill you for the full price of the phone. Not worth it
    Chances are EXCELLENT that they will charge you full retail. Their logic will be that your screen doesn't click because of negligence. Since they sent you a new phone, they'll make you pay for it.

And they might just cancel your contract, because you're causing them to lose money by being stupid.

And since you're still in school, you should register for a business ethics class next semester, and learn about fraud. Maybe you'll think twice about it.
    Last edited by paulmike3; 12-10-08 at 12:26 PM.
    12-10-08 12:22 PM
    dude, I had a weird accident on the same level of this, called insurance got everything fixed up... my friend payed the deductible (his fault) and I will get it tomorrow. I asked her if it will be new or refurbed, she said that she really could not tell, but chances for a new one are decently likely because it is so early in the storm's history. However, I will definitely not get the retail box, they will only be sending me the phone, battery, and charger. (good thing my 8 gig card didn't get damaged!)
    12-10-08 12:30 PM
    Just call the insurance company. I believe it's Asurion or something like that. Fraud!! Whatever man that's why you're paying the insurance premium and the deductible. I got my storm through my friend who is on verizon. He unlocked his initial Storm reported it lost the following week and they sent him a brand new Storm in a full retail box with everything overnight! It's the American Way! If this was any other country you would be sh@# out of luck!
    12-10-08 12:56 PM
    Just call the insurance company. I believe it's Asurion or something like that. Fraud!! Whatever man that's why you're paying the insurance premium and the deductible. I got my storm through my friend who is on verizon. He unlocked his initial Storm reported it lost the following week and they sent him a brand new Storm in a full retail box with everything overnight! It's the American Way! If this was any other country you would be sh@# out of luck!

better hope the IMEI is not reported.
    12-10-08 01:28 PM
    better hope the IMEI is not reported.
    If they didn't report it already, they will never report it ever. I did the same thing with my Curve when it first came out with T-Mobile. To top it off, that same curve that I reported lost is in use with another phone number under my account as we speak...go figure!
    12-10-08 01:37 PM
    dude, I had a weird accident on the same level of this, called insurance got everything fixed up... my friend payed the deductible (his fault) and I will get it tomorrow. I asked her if it will be new or refurbed, she said that she really could not tell, but chances for a new one are decently likely because it is so early in the storm's history. However, I will definitely not get the retail box, they will only be sending me the phone, battery, and charger. (good thing my 8 gig card didn't get damaged!)
    Glad to hear you did the right thing. Good job!
    12-10-08 02:50 PM
    How to get yourself indicted for insurance fraud: "The prosecutors must prove that you have made, or have caused to be made, a false, fictitious, fraudulent, or misleading statement of material fact in any record, bill, claim or other document, in writing, electronically or in any other form. Alternatively, you must have omitted or caused to be omitted, a material fact from any record, bill, claim or other document, in writing, electronically or in any other form. Finally, the law requires the State to prove that you have done all those terrible things knowingly."

All because you didn't want to pay a $50 deductible. Have fun hanging out with Bubba and his friends. No matter how small, insurance fraud is insurance fraud.
    12-10-08 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD