(I accidentally posted this in the storm 2 forum, had two tabs open, sorry to the mods)

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to get good smartphone here soon. I have an old Samsung i730, had a xv6700 for a while.. I'm really not a fan of win mobile. I messed with some phones at the VZW store, just from looking and playing I fell in love with the Storm.. but that was only using it for 15 min. I'm reading a lot of things on here about bugs and such, dust, lock ups, calls not coming in when the phone is locked... yikes.

I also thought the curve was cool but man, the screen on the storm is so big and I do love touch screens. Is the storm really a regret for all of you? How about with the latest OS upgrades?

One more question, for function-ability (if that's really a word) how do you rate the BB devices? (like best to worst?)

thanks!
    Ron
    06-29-09 06:37 PM
    (I accidentally posted this in the storm 2 forum, had two tabs open, sorry to the mods)

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to get good smartphone here soon. I have an old Samsung i730, had a xv6700 for a while.. I'm really not a fan of win mobile. I messed with some phones at the VZW store, just from looking and playing I fell in love with the Storm.. but that was only using it for 15 min. I'm reading a lot of things on here about bugs and such, dust, lock ups, calls not coming in when the phone is locked... yikes.

I also thought the curve was cool but man, the screen on the storm is so big and I do love touch screens. Is the storm really a regret for all of you? How about with the latest OS upgrades?

One more question, for function-ability (if that's really a word) how do you rate the BB devices? (like best to worst?)

thanks!
    Ron
    not a regret at all, but yet, it's mainly toward personal preference, try it out, since u have 30 days to try, if u like, great, if u dont, then change it, it's that simple

.148 is WAY better than .75, if not the greatest

u just shouldnt read up on all those bashing threads, they're all misleading some way or another

like i said, it's merely toward personal preference...
    06-29-09 07:26 PM
    I also came to BB from the Samsung i730, and the i700 before that. I don't think I'll ever own another phone that's not a BlackBerry. Everything about it is so much cleaner and faster than WinMo. As to the Storm itself, I absolutely LOVE my Storm. There is no other phone I'd trade it for at this time.

Your going to have some ******* chime in here telling you to stay away from the Storm. It's because the phone is way too advanced for their tiny brains to handle. Keep in mind there many, many thousands of Storms out there. Most of the owners don't even know about CrackBerry. The majority of people who come here do so to resolve a problem or figure something out. As a result, it's always going to be slanted towards the "I've got a problem" side. Even then, most of the problems are things the users just don't understand how to do. This is a great place to get it figured out. Sure, there are some bad phones, but these people who have had 6 or 7 replacements, need to be replaced themselves. Unfortunately, these people are the loudest of all...again...defective brains. I suspect there are also plenty of the constant Storm haters out there that don't really have a Storm. They've got an iPhone and they're jealous, but they post their trash here.

For the record...I get 36 to 48 hours from my battery, and haven't done a battery pull in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by grey; 06-29-09 at 07:49 PM.
    06-29-09 07:46 PM
    Cool thanks for the info., I really did love the way it worked when I tried it out in the store a couple times. My old i730 locks up all the time, if this is at least better than that I'll be very happy. A nice big screen with an HTML browser sounds like heaven.

Thanks much! Really apprecitate the information

Ron
    06-29-09 08:46 PM
    Glad to help. You'll be thrilled having a Storm over a Samsung.
    06-29-09 09:19 PM
    Do you mean functionality? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 09:25 PM
    As stated, its all about personal preference. I for one still heart my Storm despite its kinks. I hope you enjoy and decide to keep it!
    06-30-09 01:47 AM
    Grey, great post you hit the nail on the head. I have had my storm since day one. Upgrade the firmware and you will love this swiss pocketnife of a phone. It does almost everything. The call sound quality is great just as its been on every Blackberry I've owned. Enjoy your new Storm.
    06-30-09 07:54 AM
    Do you mean functionality? Lol
    Yeah that too LOL

Thanks CoutureFashionista and berrydr, I think I will proceed to order one this Friday, now I'm excited again
    06-30-09 11:30 AM
    You won't regret getting the Storm. I think the main reason the Storm gets a bad rap is Verizon pushed this phone on a lot of people who never had a smartphone of any kind and they are just overwhelmed or lost. Just look at all the posts here about simple tasks- how do I disable compatibility mode, my sms icon disappeared, can't find my download, etc etc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 08:14 PM
    I have had my Storm nearly 5 months and couldn't be happier with it. Since the new OS upgrade, I love it even more. One of its most important functions--just being a phone--is solid with great clarity and audio quality. Love the calendar, task list, and of course, having my email delivered instantly. Using BB Messenger with other BB friends is fun too. (Can you tell I really like this phone???)

I was new to Blackberry as well as to the Storm, so I had a slight learning curve but many things seemed intuitive so adaptation was pretty easy.

Whatever you get, it's easy to become a BB junkie! Let us know what you decide on!
    06-30-09 08:40 PM
    I'm pretty happy with my Storm. I've had it since April. .148 helped get most of the bugs out. It originally had issues recording video and taking pics but those problems have been corrected. Movies look great on the screen and there are some really cool apps out there like Slacker and Pandora. If you want a phone that plays games, unfortunately there aren't that many "good" games but as a PHONE, the Storm is pretty good. The call quality is very good. You can send picture messages (which you STILL can't do on the Iphone yet) as well as video messages. It may not be the best phone out there but if you get one, you'll grow to love it and won't be able to imagine how you got by without one. Another cool thing is this site. Crackberry is a fantastic resource for tips, problems, reviews, etc.
    06-30-09 08:49 PM
    Cool really great to see you all do like it

I am going between my voyager and old i730, both drive me nuts. The voyager is the most annoying (at least to me) phone I've ever had. I'm really looking foward to the organizer functions in the storm, like tasks, and such.

Hey question, can you email a photo or attachment with the storm? With my voyager I can only use picture-text messages for photos, I can't email any attachments. It'd be really cool to email a photo?
    07-01-09 10:43 AM

Your going to have some ******* chime in here telling you to stay away from the Storm. It's because the phone is way too advanced for their tiny brains to handle.

Oh Puh-lease. Can we please stay away from posting this garbage? Everyone knows the Storm suffers from myriad problems. Just Google "Blackberry Storm review" and you can read endlessly about issues users are having with the Storm. There are people who don't know how to send a text message, and then there are people who are aware of the Storm's shortcomings after having used the device for 6+ months. Try to keep them separate, will you?

If you are absolutely stuck on Verizon and you love touch screens, then there really is no better touch screen Verizon phone than the Storm. It has its problems, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of VZW's other touch screen "smartphones" (Dare, Voyager, etc).

Personally, I am leaving Verizon to get an iPhone, since I really like touch screen smartphones and the Curve just does not do it for me. Oh, and it does not need mentioning, the Storm is endlessly frustrating.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-01-09 at 11:07 AM.
    07-01-09 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the info., I did read the reviews and people's comments. I hope someday smart phones work better in general. It seems they push the capabilities beyond the technology on these devices. I'm thinking it will at least be better than my voyager so that'll be good.

I thought about going to AT&T for an iphone too, but their coverage isn't even close to verizon's in my area. Sprint has the worst, so I'm really stuck with Verizon in my neck of the woods.
    07-01-09 02:07 PM
    Got my storm today, it definately has less quirks than my voyager had, I'm really happy with it. Even if I get some weird stuff I think I'll still be way happier, thanks for the help everyone!
    07-06-09 10:20 PM
    Storm is an awesome phone after many tweeks and I wouldn't trade it for any other, but it must be modded well, otherwise it's not worth the money
    07-06-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD