So I just received my replacement storm that I ordered due to the screen clicking problem of my old storm (purchased on release day). I see no difference whatsoever.

The new one still has a serious screen click problem. The OS is .65. and it is the same Model as my original Storm.

I "fixed" my original storm screen click problem with the cardboard behind the battery move and it works amazing. I just didn't want that to be the long term solution. I want one that actually works, but it looks like as of today Verizon is not offering "new" hardware versions despite the photos I've seen on this site suggesting they do exist.

I guess I'll bring it back.....again.....but this is becoming frustrating.
    12-11-08 04:54 PM
    I just received mine today. It is the older model version and there is an insane difference.

I havent activated it yet and played with the software but i must say that the hardware is a beauty, feels lighter and the screen is a dream come true
    12-11-08 04:58 PM
    I just received mine today. It is the older model version and there is an insane difference.

I havent activated it yet and played with the software but i must say that the hardware is a beauty, feels lighter and the screen is a dream come true
    Yeah seems like I got something else other than a new one. Maybe a "like new" one that they're passing off as new.

I didn't activate it yet, but I put the battery in and turned it on to check what OS it had. It also doesn't have the "wireless upgrade" option, which i know a lot of the early models didn't have.

Mine is clearly not any sort of new model. I think it actually works worse than my original did.....very disappointing.
    12-11-08 05:02 PM
    I'm pretty sure there are no new models. There hasn't been a new hardware release

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 05:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure there are no new models. There hasn't been a new hardware release

Search is your friend.

New Storm PRD Model
    12-11-08 05:13 PM
    Search is your friend.

New Storm PRD Model
    Yep. I remember that thread. My original storm and my replacement storm are both the 19502-002 PRD (the old PRD)....which apparently means my new Storm is the same crappy hardware as my original Storm....sweet. Thanks Verizon.
    12-11-08 05:34 PM
    Yep. I remember that thread. My original storm and my replacement storm are both the 19502-002 PRD (the old PRD)....which apparently means my new Storm is the same crappy hardware as my original Storm....sweet. Thanks Verizon.
    I've had the same 19502-02 and not a single problem hardware wise. I truly believe that maybe that last few thousand Storms were maybe rushed thru the plant just to get it out. I don't like it one bit, but I personally am happy with my Storm.
    12-11-08 05:56 PM
    I just received my replacement today. I too had the standard screen click problem that was greatly improved with the business card trick. I never got around to trying the screws. The new one is perfect from a screen click point of view. I haven't come across any other issues yet.

The PRD numbers are the same. 19502-002. The old one was made in Canada on 11/08/08. The new one was made in Mexico on 12/04/08.

All these numbers just seem to mean nothing as far as a quality control standpoint. Seems to be luck of the draw....
    12-11-08 06:19 PM
    Got my replacement yesterday. Original had the screen click issues by the green/send and red/end buttons. The new one I received is the same "model" but made in Mexico where the original was made in Canada. The new one (replacement) has a better click in the lower portion of the screen, but when in landscape mode, the "q", "a", and "123" buttons require MUCH more pressure to actuate than the original did where it had issues.

Long story short, I think my original is better than the replacement version and am sending the replacement back. Tech support would only offer to "walk me through setting the screen's sensitivity" again.

My original is still a great phone. Haven't done any of the fixes on here, but as long as I'm not pushing in the corners, the screen works wonderfully. I can close apps with out too much of an issue.

Just wanted to share...
    12-11-08 06:29 PM
    I dont believe the new PRD is actually a new revision. I just recieved my replacement after calling and complaining about the click issue and loose call button. My first Storm was bought on release day and did not have the wireless update option.

My new one came on Wed. from Ontario. model PRD-19502-002 made in Canada 1 with a manufacturing date of 12-04-08. I was impressed that I had the phone in my hands 6 days after it was made. Also, if there was a new revision why would they have made this version a few days ago? The wireless upgrade option was on this device out of the box. Also, the screen has a warmer/natural color to it. Much better than the washed out blue of my previous storm.

This replacement is so good I can hardley believe it! The buttons are very solid with no play. The screen clicks perfectly everywhere, including all edges, and it does not wiggle around at all. I am so glad I got this replacement.
    12-11-08 06:39 PM
    My 1st replacement came in a box with nothing else...it was the same with regard to screen probs as the 1st.

Second replacement came to day..complete new setup with accessories...it is great...no complaints.

There doesnt seem to be a lot of obvious rhyme or reason to how and what they are using as a policy for replacements. Not sure why this one is so much better...just glad it is....put my IS on it and am rockin along fine.
    12-11-08 08:29 PM
    I just called tech support and complained about the obvious probs. She's overnighting me one tomorow by 1pm. Hopefully its a new unit not a refurbished/new. I mentioned the prd# as19502 and she had no clue to what I was talkin about.

12-11-08 09:11 PM
    i ordered my replacement on the 5th and still no tracking...they said it will be shipped out the 15th at the latest...i swear if i get a bad replacement...im demanding an overnight of another one or they'll be **** to pay...
    12-11-08 09:29 PM
    So how long was it until you guys noticed the screen click issue?

12-11-08 10:10 PM
    Hey guys, my screens left lower corner is a bit 'mushy' when you push it. It still clicks and works fine, but i was wondering if this is the 'click' problem everyone is talking about? I don't think it warrants me requesting a new storm, but curious if this might get worse and cause more problems later. Thanks!
    12-11-08 10:39 PM
    So how long was it until you guys noticed the screen click issue?

I noticed it the first day I got it. I went back to the store and compared it to their demo's and it was a night and day difference. I complained to the tech and with her 2 inch nails she couldn't tell a difference. Since it was release day I knew I wasn't going to get a new one anytime soon so I went back a week later and they ordered me a new one.
    12-11-08 10:47 PM
    search screen click fix
    12-11-08 10:48 PM
    Hey guys, my screens left lower corner is a bit 'mushy' when you push it. It still clicks and works fine, but i was wondering if this is the 'click' problem everyone is talking about? I don't think it warrants me requesting a new storm, but curious if this might get worse and cause more problems later. Thanks!
    Mushy wasn't my problem. The corners were so stiff I had to really press to get it to click. In fact the space bar in both modes was so bad I was continually backing up to edit. My fingers cramped out days before they would with past BB's.
    12-11-08 10:51 PM
    Update to .75 OS Makes a big difference with the screen system.
    12-11-08 11:14 PM
    Got my Storm on 11/21 (2nd in line) . They got my phone and for an hour tried to get it connected to my line and it never would, so they tried another and it finally did connect. Yippee i was so happy i had my new toy and it was so cool. After signin up on CB and reading the forums about clicking problems figured i was lucky mine was only a little weak across th bottom. Figured i could live with that tho and continued to read forums. You guys have taught me so much, i have to thank u. Being new to BB the first day was pure h_ll.

Not sure when but i realized that the enter key in portrait and multi tap wouldnt highlight ( weird because it would in suretype) . Took it in to store on Black Friday and after an hour plus they couldnt fix it and ordered me another one. Was told i would get it by the 15 which was fine i cold still use mine. well it came on the 8th, i chrgered it all night and activated it Tuesday night. Got a call 5 min later and realized the end button didnt work so not usable to me. Had to turn right around and turn the first one back on. was told i had to take it into the store for them to order a new one. Also since it was my third one they would try to get me into another phone, remember i never touched the first one. also ask about my 30 day new phone startin over and was told probally not. I am taking the replacement back tomorrow to get another and it better be new with 30 more days.

Verizon is really pissing there customers off they have sure dropped the ball on this one. All the lies about no problems, people getting different stories depending on who they talk to, getting phones in 2 days and other waiting over a week.

I used to brag on Verizon but i will have to rethink that now. RIM and Verizon need to get there sh-t together. I love the phone I just want what i payed for a phone that works.

Both phones PRD-19502 first one canada 11/09/08 second one mexico 12/03/08 assembled and to my house in 5 days
    Last edited by blsmith1; 12-11-08 at 11:28 PM.
    12-11-08 11:15 PM
    Got my replacement unit last night.....

First of all, I really like my original Storm. I was getting adjusted to the typing, and as a new BB guy, I was learning the ins and outs of the OS. I did have a very minor problem hitting the corner of the screen. I also notices that while in landscape, I had to push harder to get the 'a' and the '!?123' keys. So I called for a replacement.

Let me tell you - I THOUGHT I loved my Storm before, but now I know, that was a matter of lust and once I tried out the real thing, there's no going back. This replacement unit is like night and day. On the old model, I thought I would really have to learn to type all over over again....on the new model, I am typing like a beast right away. This model is a dream come true - like the first one should have been!

BTW, I am not sure it matters, but my old one was made in Canada and was PRD -195 whatever. The new one is made in Mexico and is the PRD - 210 whatever
    12-11-08 11:16 PM
    Seems like the newer batches have much better screens. I get mine Monday, so I hope mine works.
    12-11-08 11:30 PM
    that thread has caused alot of compelte nonsense and people calling in and getting replacements when not deemed ness. they find one little flaw and call in and get a new one.

and people are wondering why vzw is making them take it to a store. thats why , cause people are calling cause theres a gap in the screen or their hardware is slow or whatever they can think of. it makes it for people that have defective phones just that much harder to their bum phone replaced when its really bum, and just not a bit flawed. but hey to each their own i guess.
    12-11-08 11:52 PM
    it makes it for people that have defective phones just that much harder to their bum phone replaced when its really bum, and just not a bit flawed. but hey to each their own i guess.
    Maybe just my .02, but seriously - 'a bit flawed'?? REALLY?? When is the last time you went out and bought something new - and even though it didn't work properly you just said 'Hey! It's just 'a bit flawed'! I called for a new device, even though I could have lived with the one I had. It worked, just not the way it is supposed to. It's not like people are out there buying a used model off of craigslist or ebay, they are spending their money on a product, and $200 is not like $5! If it is 'a bit flawed', they have got every right to get a new one without any flaws! And if this is causing Verizon difficulties, that's too damn bad for Verizon.
    12-12-08 12:00 AM
    Maybe just my .02, but seriously - 'a bit flawed'?? REALLY?? When is the last time you went out and bought something new - and even though it didn't work properly you just said 'Hey! It's just 'a bit flawed'! I called for a new device, even though I could have lived with the one I had. It worked, just not the way it is supposed to. It's not like people are out there buying a used model off of craigslist or ebay, they are spending their money on a product, and $200 is not like $5! If it is 'a bit flawed', they have got every right to get a new one without any flaws! And if this is causing Verizon difficulties, that's too damn bad for Verizon.
    WORD.....
    12-12-08 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD