Well,

I ordered a replacement Storm this morning due to the screen-clicking issue. I came on here and noticed that people are worrying that their replacements will be refurbished.

This news worried me a bit because I paid for a new device, so I think I am entitled for a new replacement (plus I am within my 30 days).

I just called back and spoke to some guy who was quite knowledgeable of the screen-clicking issue and paper solution (Crackberry reader maybe? ). I simply asked him if the device I would be receiving would be refurbished and he said no.

He told me that the company has a "B" stock that are labeled as refurbished, but have not been previously owned (I didn't ask about model # or anything). He said that these phones were put in the "B" stock due to some kind of sticker mis-prints or something like that. He assured me that the phone is brand new and that I have absolutely nothing to worry about.

He said that since the device launched only a few weeks ago, NO ONE is receiving actual refurbished devices. They are all new.

Well there you go.....I have a brand new Storm on the way. I don't care about model number or that nonsense as long as it works as it is intended.
    12-08-08 06:23 PM
    BS if it's new it will be in the original box. Refurb comes in plain cardboard.......Ha a B stock.....Like B in Been refurBished,,,,,
    12-08-08 06:26 PM
    Well, it would be surprising to me if 2 and a half weeks in, Verizon is already pushing refurbs out.
    12-08-08 06:43 PM
    You get new under 30-day equipment guarantee, refurb for any other warranty issue

If they are telling you they say refurb, but aren't ... you need to speak with a new rep ... Besides being illegal (not saying every phone company I've ever been with hasn't used the line), a CS rep saying crap like that is not the rep you want to be talking to ... get someone who admits its refurb or guarantees you new
    12-08-08 06:48 PM
    Jdane all of the test units are being pushed out as refurbs...
    12-08-08 06:52 PM
    That depends, did you claim manufacturer warranty? If so it's a refurbished unit. If you did a worry free guarantee exchange it will be brand new. There's a huge difference
    12-08-08 06:52 PM
    That depends, did you claim manufacturer warranty? If so it's a refurbished unit. If you did a worry free guarantee exchange it will be brand new. There's a huge difference
    I have no idea about either of those.
    12-08-08 06:54 PM
    Hehe basically did you talk to technical support level? If so theyre going to send you out a replacement not a new one
    12-08-08 07:13 PM
    My replacement came in a regular storm box just like the one I bought in the store. It was still sealed and came with everything that the first one came with.
    12-08-08 07:14 PM
    I talked to someone at the tech support level, told me that I was getting a refurb, and I said that I would just simply go return the Storm to the store, and then I would do something else, I got transferred a few times, and I got a replacement today, brand new, so I guess you just have to complain. After 2 weeks, I shouldn't get a refurb'd phone, sorry, but that is just my opinion. Why is my post count stuck at 88?
    12-08-08 07:15 PM
    What should I tell them if I want to receive a NEW phone?

I didn't pay $200 for a refurb.
    12-08-08 07:16 PM
    I do believe that there truly aren't refurbs yet. But I ordered a replacement and did get a new box, with everything in it. NO brown box
    12-08-08 07:17 PM
    Ahh well that's a good sign then.. It probably won't be long before there are refurbs that start to roll out.
    12-08-08 07:19 PM
    Yeap, you are right. Remember to ask for Worry Free Guarantee for your replacement, same as I did for my replacement !
    12-08-08 07:19 PM
    Look at it this way...

You have a 30 day return on any new phone at verizon. This means you can take the phone there tell them you don't want it and they will refund your money. Then you can take the money and repurchase the phone (a brand new one). So why settle for a refurbished one now?

That's my outlook on it.
    12-08-08 07:21 PM
    well I know the "new" device I received was not new, as it had someone's contact info and calendar already on the device when I put my battery in.

so I would not put much stock in the "b" stock that VZW says they have
    12-08-08 07:21 PM
    Just to offer some possible helpful insight ...

I buy/sell guitars, and in guitar land a "B stock" is basically a factory reject (vs. a traditional "refurbished used" unit).

So, let's say a guitar has a pattern painted on it, and there's a 1/8" spot in the finish -- they stamp it B-stock (if they have good quality control, of course) and sell it at a discount.

Dunno if that has any relevance here, but maybe if for some reason the phone/packaging was kicked back from QC, it's a b-stock?
    12-08-08 08:15 PM
    I just orded my replacement today,CS mentioned I was getting a refurb, then I mentioned it was still within my 30 days then she told me that that makes a big difference and I will be getting a brand new phone this week. The refurb was going to take a few weeks(from what she told me).I thought that was kind of funny. Also, I thought she would just assume it was within my 30 days, since the phone is now 17 days old.Who knows?!?
    12-08-08 08:33 PM
    Ok so I just called Verizon because the screen clicking has gotten alot less responsive since the day i got it, 12/6/08.

They told me they don't have any record of a known problem of screen clicking issues and told me to go to a verizon store to verify the problem. wtf?

Edit: called back again, got someone else this time and they're shipping a "Brand new" device to me. They told me they are sending just the front of the phone + sim card, i get to keep the battery, 8gb, and all the various items that came with the device.

Is this a refurb?

I asked them if it's a refurb and he specifically said it's brand new and that they don't even have refurbs...we'll see around friday.
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 12-09-08 at 01:08 PM.
    12-09-08 12:46 PM
    i said this is previous posts about this. I used to be a product safety engineer at a biotech company. We manufacture instruments that are safety certified by UL (Underwriters Laboratories), the same certification that is on the Storm (The UL label is behind the battery on the phone).

If a UL certified product is refurbed, it is REQUIRED to be labeled as such. The wording is very specific. You can't even use the word "refurb". The requirement is for it to be labeled "REMANUFACTURED" or "REFURBISHED" on the UL label. I know this because 6 years ago, we started a refurbishment process for our instruments and I investigated, implemented and obtained UL certification for our refurbed products.

So as long as the label on your phone doesn't have the words I mentioned above, you are getting a brand new unit regardless of the box it came with. They put it brown boxes so they reduce costs associated with new packaging, cords, CD's, etc etc.
    12-09-08 01:03 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they already had refurbished units. It seems as if the screen click problem is caused by the screen being too tight. So they get it back loosen the screws, run some tests and send it back out.
    12-09-08 01:06 PM
    i said this is previous posts about this. I used to be a product safety engineer at a biotech company. We manufacture instruments that are safety certified by UL (Underwriters Laboratories), the same certification that is on the Storm (The UL label is behind the battery on the phone).

If a UL certified product is refurbed, it is REQUIRED to be labeled as such. The wording is very specific. You can't even use the word "refurb". The requirement is for it to be labeled "REMANUFACTURED" or "REFURBISHED" on the UL label. I know this because 6 years ago, we started a refurbishment process for our instruments and I investigated, implemented and obtained UL certification for our refurbed products.

So as long as the label on your phone doesn't have the words I mentioned above, you are getting a brand new unit regardless of the box it came with. They put it brown boxes so they reduce costs associated with new packaging, cords, CD's, etc etc.

That's good to know!
    12-09-08 01:15 PM
    Ok so I just called Verizon because the screen clicking has gotten alot less responsive since the day i got it, 12/6/08.

They told me they don't have any record of a known problem of screen clicking issues and told me to go to a verizon store to verify the problem. wtf?

Edit: called back again, got someone else this time and they're shipping a "Brand new" device to me. They told me they are sending just the front of the phone + sim card, i get to keep the battery, 8gb, and all the various items that came with the device.

Is this a refurb?

I asked them if it's a refurb and he specifically said it's brand new and that they don't even have refurbs...we'll see around friday.
    Lies lies and more lies if you have to keep battery and sd card it's a refurb....
    12-09-08 01:48 PM
    Lies lies and more lies if you have to keep battery and sd card it's a refurb....
    How do you know that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 06:20 PM

On refurbished units, what's the quality like? I don't understand why people are so against refurbs as if they are the worst thing you could possible get.
    12-09-08 06:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD