Hey I got a replacement phone from verizon and the menu button is really annoying me. I know when you hold down the menu button, it is supposed to bring up the application switcher. But with my phone, if I hold down the button for anything longer than just tapping it, the app switcher comes up. Basically while I'm sending a text, with the older phone, I would tap the menu button twice and it would send. This phone, 80% of the time I get the app switcher and then have to clear out of that andpress send again.
    Sorry for the long winded post but I was wondering if there was anyone else who had this and fixed it or if there was a way to change this or if I should get another replacement. Thanks for your help guys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 02:51 PM
    So I'm guessing I should get another replacement since i"m the only one with this problem?
    01-26-09 04:13 PM
    what OS are you running? This has happened to me a couple of times since i upgraded to .90. it never did it with previous releases of the software.
    01-26-09 05:43 PM
    It has done this on .85 and .90. On .90 now
    01-26-09 07:51 PM
    My first Storm had the same problem, new one works fine.
    01-26-09 07:59 PM
    This was happening to me, and I saw this in another thread. Under Options, Screen/Keyboard, change your key rate to Normal. (May or may not work for you -- but it worked wonders for me!)
    01-26-09 08:01 PM
    The "key rate" setting has no effect on the actual hard buttons. Just typing.

See link:http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...66/#post415720

Sorry. When i change my key rate from highest to lowest, my hard buttons react the same... App switcher is always about 1 1/2 second.
    01-29-09 05:38 PM
    The "key rate" setting has no effect on the actual hard buttons. Just typing.

See link:http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...66/#post415720

Sorry. When i change my key rate from highest to lowest, my hard buttons react the same... App switcher is always about 1 1/2 second.
    False.

To the OP, the issue is with keyrate. It has been questioned and vetted time and again on these boards. Also, just do a test for yourself. Put the keyrate at "fast" and jab the menu button - the app switcher comes up (sometimes even the app switcher and the options pop up). Now change it to slow -- you have to hold it down to get the app switcher to come up.

If you demand proof, say so, and I'll try to get some proof. But, frankly, you can prove it yourself by simply manipulating the settings.

ALSO - to the poster ^^^, I think I understand why you think it is 1.5 seconds no matter what. The test is not how long it takes for the app switcher to appear. That will always remain the same. The test is how long you have to hold the key before it pops up. In other words, simply holding it down until the app switcher shows will not give you any info. No matter what setting you have it at, it will always be 1.5 seconds. You have to jab at the button. When it's set at "fast" a simple jab of a half second will make it appear. On slow, if you just jab at it, only the options list will come up.
    Last edited by liquidsense; 01-29-09 at 06:12 PM.
    01-29-09 06:07 PM
    False.

To the OP, the issue is with keyrate. It has been questioned and vetted time and again on these boards. Also, just do a test for yourself. Put the keyrate at "fast" and jab the menu button - the app switcher comes up (sometimes even the app switcher and the options pop up). Now change it to slow -- you have to hold it down to get the app switcher to come up.

If you demand proof, say so, and I'll try to get some proof. But, frankly, you can prove it yourself by simply manipulating the settings.

ALSO - to the poster ^^^, I think I understand why you think it is 1.5 seconds no matter what. The test is not how long it takes for the app switcher to appear. That will always remain the same. The test is how long you have to hold the key before it pops up. In other words, simply holding it down until the app switcher shows will not give you any info. No matter what setting you have it at, it will always be 1.5 seconds. You have to jab at the button. When it's set at "fast" a simple jab of a half second will make it appear. On slow, if you just jab at it, only the options list will come up.
    I already explained that in my other post. I spent 20 minutes changing the key rate from fast to slow with no change in my hard buttongs. i would like proof. im not saying im right and your wrong. maybe its an OS issue. Im running .90. but for me the key rate has no effect.

However, when it comes to holding the DELETE, ENTER, SPACE, and capitalizing letters by holding the letter... It makes a **HUGE** difference. If the key rate setting changes those, why would it only change the hard buttons by a few milliseconds? I think this "Fix" is inside of peoples mind.
    01-29-09 06:21 PM
    I already explained that in my other post. I spent 20 minutes changing the key rate from fast to slow with no change in my hard buttongs. i would like proof. im not saying im right and your wrong. maybe its an OS issue. Im running .90. but for me the key rate has no effect.

However, when it comes to holding the DELETE, ENTER, SPACE, and capitalizing letters by holding the letter... It makes a **HUGE** difference. If the key rate setting changes those, why would it only change the hard buttons by a few milliseconds? I think this "Fix" is inside of peoples mind.
    There are three explanations:

1) The notion that the fix works is all in my mind.
    2) The notion that the fix does not work is all in your mind.
    3) There is a difference between .85 and .9, because I'm using .85 right now.

I'd rather you take me for my word. But on .85, it makes an absolute, and undeniable difference (at least on my device). I really really don't want to video tape the thing and upload it just for your convenience. And I pray that some of the regulars here will simply chime in and set it straight.

Also, did you make sure you read my last note? You made the erroneous statement that "App switcher is always about 1 1/2 second." You are testing the wrong variable.

As stated, holding down the menu button UNTIL the appswitcher comes up will always produce the same results regardless of whether you are on "fast" or "slow". Namely, the app switcher will come up in 1.5 seconds.

You have to test the duration of the keypress, NOT how long it takes for the appswitcher to come up. There is a difference. Let me change some numbers to help you understand:

It takes 5 seconds for the appswitcher to appear any time the menu button is held down.

On "fast", you hold the menu key for 1 second, then let go, and the appswitcher will come up 4 seconds later.

On "slow", you have to hold the menu key for at least 4 seconds. Then, 1 second later, the appswitcher will come up.

Get it? To say, as you did, the appswitcher comes up in 5 seconds every time reveals that you are testing the wrong thing. In my explanation, the appswitcher comes up in 5 seconds no matter what. You have to vary how long you actually press the button for (i.e., jab or hold) in order to understand how keyrate is working.
    Last edited by liquidsense; 01-29-09 at 06:51 PM.
    01-29-09 06:48 PM
    There are three explanations:

1) The notion that the fix works is all in my mind.
    2) The notion that the fix does not work is all in your mind.
    3) There is a difference between .85 and .9, because I'm using .85 right now.

I'd rather you take me for my word. But on .85, it makes an absolute, and undeniable difference (at least on my device). I really really don't want to video tape the thing and upload it just for your convenience. And I pray that some of the regulars here will simply chime in and set it straight.

Also, did you make sure you read my last note? You made the erroneous statement that "App switcher is always about 1 1/2 second." You are testing the wrong variable.

As stated, holding down the menu button UNTIL the appswitcher comes up will always produce the same results regardless of whether you are on "fast" or "slow". Namely, the app switcher will come up in 1.5 seconds.

You have to test the duration of the keypress, NOT how long it takes for the appswitcher to come up. There is a difference. Let me change some numbers to help you understand:

It takes 5 seconds for the appswitcher to appear any time the menu button is held down.

On "fast", you hold the menu key for 1 second, then let go, and the appswitcher will come up 4 seconds later.

On "slow", you have to hold the menu key for at least 4 seconds. Then, 1 second later, the appswitcher will come up.

Get it? To say, as you did, the appswitcher comes up in 5 seconds every time reveals that you are testing the wrong thing. In my explanation, the appswitcher comes up in 5 seconds no matter what. You have to vary how long you actually press the button for (i.e., jab or hold) in order to understand how keyrate is working.
    Ok... You need a new OS BAD!!!
    jk
    I did a little more testing. With the change from slow to fast, There is a slight difference. But not 5 seconds. On fast is takes about a half second of holding and then it pops up instantly. on slow it a little less than a full second and then it instantly pops up.... but there is a ever so slight difference. When I turn on the key tone its a little easier to tell the difference due to the key tone changes.

The change is so minute that I'm not sure it was a design as much as a coincidence. Change the key rate and see how drastically it effects the enter, delete, space, and caps.

But, if there are storm users out there with spidey senses... it does make a little difference... so little that I was looking for it and it took me collectively 30 minutes to notice it.
    01-29-09 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD