So i've had my storm fram day 1 (11/21) and it's had some of the same software glitches that other people seem to be having but they are intermittent and even all together less with the leaked .75 OS.

BUT!!! I've read that some people who got replacement phones have recieved phones with newer model numbers with supposedley tighter less moveable screens that have tighter gaps...grrr...And now as i look at my screen with its large gaps which seem to be harboring some dust already and its very moveable but clickable surface i ask myself should i take a chance with my better than satisfactory phone that i have now that that may or may not have a screen malfunction down the line due to dust under the surface or should i get a replacement now while i still can???

Advice....i'm sure i'm not the only one trying to make this decision...What is everybody else doing???? please share your decisions and advice...
    12-06-08 01:50 PM
    Im waiting to get definite answers on the quality of the replacement phones and if they changed the hardware at all before I make my decision. I will do it before the 30 days are up so this way I am ensured that I get a brand new replacement and not a refurb. I dont want someone elses problems because I have honestly had nothing but issues in the past with refurb phones.
    12-06-08 01:54 PM
    one thing you have to consider is that some of the replacements people have been getting are crap.
    12-06-08 01:56 PM
    Have you heard about the other model number that some people have gotten...i have model #19502 however i've seen a picture of model number 21*** in a thread and the person claimed that it was newer better hardware namely the screen
    12-06-08 01:57 PM
    i'm wondering the same thing. my screen does not click particularly well (but it's decent) and my red button is kind of wobbly.
    12-06-08 02:03 PM
    Have you heard about the other model number that some people have gotten...i have model #19502 however i've seen a picture of model number 21*** in a thread and the person claimed that it was newer better hardware namely the screen
    If you read all of the posts on this issue, you will learn that people have gotten both numbers for replacement units and there have been good and bad units with each. So, you are not guaranteed a better replacement, and it could be worse. Also, if yours isn't broke, VZ isn't going to replace it anyway -- and it doesn't appear from your post that there is anything wrong with your Storm.
    12-06-08 02:05 PM
    If you read all of the posts on this issue, you will learn that people have gotten both numbers for replacement units and there have been good and bad units with each. So, you are not guaranteed a better replacement, and it could be worse. Also, if yours isn't broke, VZ isn't going to replace it anyway -- and it doesn't appear from your post that there is anything wrong with your Storm.
    Actually, like i said, i am having intermittent problems with the OS and the screen is an issue with dust build up already after less than a month so i am entitled a new phone as much as others who have gotten one after having similar issues. i was just curious as to whether or not it was worth the gamble seeing as that mine is sastisfactorably operable and could have future issues with the dust build-up behind the screen. but you are correct it could be worse...just want to make sure i get the best working storm that's available to me just as you would sir.
    12-06-08 02:20 PM
    sounds like w have the same phone. Mine has larger than usual gaps around the screen. the screen even moves a little more than it is supposed to. It clicks fine but feels loose. like you i am also scared to get a replacement bc the software has been working fine. So good that when i switched to .75 i could barely tell the difference.

Im just worried i will get a worse phone than the one i currently have.

One theory i have is to let people replace theirs first so i dont get an older unit. and then hope RIM has got their act together before they make the one i get.

Any thoughts?
    12-06-08 02:34 PM
    sounds good but how do you know that you won't get a refurbished one at that point...i mean at what point are they gonna start sending out rehabbed versions of the junk people have been sending in for the past 2 1/2 weeks...it's almost like you might as well flip a dam coin and hope for the best
    12-06-08 02:43 PM
    sounds good but how do you know that you won't get a refurbished one at that point...i mean at what point are they gonna start sending out rehabbed versions of the junk people have been sending in for the past 2 1/2 weeks...it's almost like you might as well flip a dam coin and hope for the best
    Had mine for a day and was perfect. Not gonna get into how it broke, but Asurion is shipping my phone today, if it's a refurb I'm gonna send it back and just use my old phone. I don't want someone's faulty POS.
    12-06-08 02:46 PM
    My 2 cents........wait it out till they get ALL the bugs out
    12-06-08 02:49 PM
    Well i have had mine for about a week now so i figure maybe mid nest week. As long as it is in the first 30 days they are obligated to give you a new one.

As for them lying. I read on a post that any product that has the UL(i think that was the one) logo on it cannot be given unless the device is given the official title of refurbished or re manufactured. Also, another post said once any product is refurbished a sticker is placed on it with the initials of the refurbisher. so i will check my new device for this before i accept it.

As for the 30 days. I was told when i took back an accessory that i would get 30 more days with the new product. Does this go for phones too? I hope. But just in case i will ask to make sure. Also, i would only return it at a store bc its alot easier for someone to lie over the phone ,rather than, look you in the eye and do it.

thoughts?
    12-06-08 02:54 PM
    i think you get 30 days with each NEW device you get...i'm not so sure about accessories...but if you get a replacement you get a fresh 30 days...but i would also absolutley send back a refurb if they sent me one as my replacement
    12-06-08 03:06 PM
    ok. well then i guess just keep returning them untill you get one that is good to go. is there a limit to the number of returns?
    12-06-08 03:42 PM
    i'm not sure about that but i'm sure that they won't let you go too nuts...lol
    12-06-08 03:51 PM
    Are refurbs really that bad? Is that just a Blackberry thing? I've bought a LOT of reburbished electronic products over the years and all except maybe one were good as new and some may have even been better. Some might depend on what the problem was, but it seems like in most cases a refurb is carefully repaired and fully tested, which is something you don't get with a new one. But if Blackberry has a bad rep on this then I can see how it would be a major concern. That said, if you bought a brand new phone and it's defective right away then by all means you should be entitled to an equivalent replacement, which means brand new.
    12-06-08 03:57 PM
    I'm on my third Storm and am now happy. The first one had some screen problems but that wasn't the reason I returned it. It was because of problems with the accelerometer which in retrospect was probably software. The next phone I got had a dead area in the lower left corner. I was putting up with it until I played with someone elses Storm and realized mine wasn't right. I took it back to Best Buy (where I got it originally) and asked for a replacement. I asked to try the screen on the replacement and it also had some bad areas. I asked for another one (I felt like a **** but didn't want to take something that wasn't right). They didn't give me a hard time and let me try another one. The screen was perfect. Obviously, there are some quality control problems. I'd advise everyone to try the screen before walking out with your Storm.
    12-06-08 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD